Back Again

mickey123

I totally forgot the Coldham hall opposite the yards at Brundall. When the forum had regular autumn meets there, we attended 2 at the Coldham hall, and the food was excellent.  

As for doing the southern rivers, i stand by my point re hiring south in the first place. If you want to do ALL the southern Broads villages, towns  and pubs, you can`t do it in a week, unless you`re always on the move, hardly what you could call a proper relaxing holiday.  Also, with Mickey saying about doing month by month, have you checked out the tides at Gt Yarmouth, are they right for your planned journey?. the reason we stayed south last week was the tides were about mid day on Sunday / Monday, but on Thursday, they were`nt suitable til early evening, which then means we would`nt be able to get to Loddon till late evening, not good when looking for a mooring, and then very late for food.  I`ve done punching the Breydon ebb, and it takes forever to get to Reedham, let alone Loddon or WRC for an evening. It also puts extra strain on the engine, and uses up considerably more fuel.

On 2017-5-7 at 5:35 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I totally forgot the Coldham hall opposite the yards at Brundall. When the forum had regular autumn meets there, we attended 2 at the Coldham hall, and the food was excellent.  

As for doing the southern rivers, i stand by my point re hiring south in the first place. If you want to do ALL the southern Broads villages, towns  and pubs, you can`t do it in a week, unless you`re always on the move, hardly what you could call a proper relaxing holiday.  Also, with Mickey saying about doing month by month, have you checked out the tides at Gt Yarmouth, are they right for your planned journey?. the reason we stayed south last week was the tides were about mid day on Sunday / Monday, but on Thursday, they were`nt suitable til early evening, which then means we would`nt be able to get to Loddon till late evening, not good when looking for a mooring, and then very late for food.  I`ve done punching the Breydon ebb, and it takes forever to get to Reedham, let alone Loddon or WRC for an evening. It also puts extra strain on the engine, and uses up considerably more fuel.

I take your point Neil, but generally I am always on the move and I love it that way. I've never been one just to do 2 or 3 hours in a day and then stop for the night. I guess it might be different if I owned a boat but I think even then I'd spend time I wasn't cruising doing some job or other. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I take your point Neil, but generally I am always on the move and I love it that way. I've never been one just to do 2 or 3 hours in a day and then stop for the night. I guess it might be different if I owned a boat but I think even then I'd spend time I wasn't cruising doing some job or other. 

I know what you mean Simon, and when i was a lot younger, we had to do all 6 rivers in a week. Now however, especially with older people (i`m now 58) i prefer to spend maybe 5 ish hours cruising, and then relaxing when moored.  In that 5 ish hours, i now like to go with the tides if possible, and cruise around 5 mph which cuts the revs, and saves quite a bit on fuel.  It`s also more relaxing, and more cost effective, especially for those on a tight budget.

• Like 1