Back Again

mickey123

Hello all.  

Well it's my turn to book 'the holiday' this year . Guess where we're going! 

We're taking my mum, which is great. She hasn't been for a few years due to poor health so I want to make this a good one.  

I want to head some where not so busy, so we're going down the southern part to maybe not be in the hassle bustle, so any recommendations for some nice pub/moorings. Her mobility is not great so she cannot walk to places. It will be a case of Moor,  get off and then sit. I haven't been over breydon for a while so I'm unsure of what's there for pub/moorings. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

Hi Mickey

I would definitely go for the Ferry at Surlingham, fantastic pub, food and drink. I believe they've replaced the quay headings and moorings, which if I remember correctly are on the level and a short walk to the pub, I think they will deliver to the boat too

Coldham Hall at Brundall also nice flat bank and moorings and just a short walk to the pub

The Ferry Inn at Reedham, excellent pub and food but a steep bank and steps to get to the pub unfortunately

Hope you and your mum have a lovely time

Grace

• Like 4

Hi Mickey

It's a great holiday for your mum

We've just returned (last Saturday) from a week with our mum (86) and she absolutely loves it. 

She get's on the boat on the Saturday and never gets off till we hand the boat back but she has a proper holiday as she can see everything that's going on.

We stayed North this time but will be heading South in September.

Theres some great moorings on the south with pubs

Rockland Staith

Reedham Ferry (and of course Reedham itself)

Cantley

Surlingham 

Coldham Hall

Bramerton

to name a few

hope that helps

• Like 2

The Waters Edge at Brammerton has a good reputation,with it's own moorings and outside seating/tables if the weather allows.Good food if a little on the expensive side, however little or no walking required and you can phone ahead and book a mooring

Carole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, addicted said:

The Waters Edge at Brammerton has a good reputation,with it's own moorings and outside seating/tables if the weather allows.Good food if a little on the expensive side, however little or no walking required and you can phone ahead and book a mooring

Carole

Its reputation for service is poor locally......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

For real? We have always found it top class. Tried to get in On a Saturday last month but fully booked so we had to go back to the Sunday!

5 hours ago, mickey123 said:

Hello all.  

Well it's my turn to book 'the holiday' this year . Guess where we're going! 

We're taking my mum, which is great. She hasn't been for a few years due to poor health so I want to make this a good one.  

I want to head some where not so busy, so we're going down the southern part to maybe not be in the hassle bustle, so any recommendations for some nice pub/moorings. Her mobility is not great so she cannot walk to places. It will be a case of Moor,  get off and then sit. I haven't been over breydon for a while so I'm unsure of what's there for pub/moorings. 

Thank you 

Hi Mickey,

I have one big question,  If you want to do the southern rivers, why are you (i assuming here) hiring from the north?.  The best solution is to hire from one of the southern based yards, then you won`t be wasting 2 days of your holiday travelling north to south, then back again. There are still some great yards on the south rivers, if you want agency yards, there`s Brooms and Silverline at Brundall, or the private yards of Pacific cruisers at Loddon, or Freedom at Thorpe. Maffetts only have 2 two berth boats, and i think Sandersons have been rumoured to be closing some time soon.

I should have added the pubs etc.

If in Loddon, the White Horse,  The Raj (superb Indian restaurant), Rosie Lee`s tea rooms for breakfast, lunch, or afternoon tea and home made cakes, 

On the Yare, there`s the Surlingham Ferry house, the Waters edge at Bramerton, The New Inn at Rockland staithe, and the Beauchamp arms (though i`ve not heard any reports on this one), The Reedcutters at Cantley, The Ship, Ferry, and Lord Nelson at Reedham.

On the Waveney, there`s the pub at St Olaves, can`t remember the name,  The one at WRC, again, i can`t remember the name.

At Oulton Broad, there`s the Wherry,  and a couple in the street opposite the YS, one i think is the Commodore, the other the Lady of the Lake?,  plus a good Indian, though that`s upstairs.

At Beccles, there`s several pubs and restaurants, but these are a walk from the Yacht station.

Then at the limit of neavigation there`s the Locks Inn at Geldeston (providing you can get under Beccles old road bridge?).

5 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Mickey,

I have one big question,  If you want to do the southern rivers, why are you (i assuming here) hiring from the north?.  The best solution is to hire from one of the southern based yards, then you won`t be wasting 2 days of your holiday travelling north to south, then back again. There are still some great yards on the south rivers, if you want agency yards, there`s Brooms and Silverline at Brundall, or the private yards of Pacific cruisers at Loddon, or Freedom at Thorpe. Maffetts only have 2 two berth boats, and i think Sandersons have been rumoured to be closing some time soon.

I intend to spend some time south next year. I'd like to hire south and have used both Pacific and Silverline some years ago. However, I may well end up hiring from the north for two reasons. Firstly, Richardsons choice, value for money and loyalty scheme keeps me with them (my last non-Richardsons trip was 2012). The overall choice of boats on the north Broads is massive compared to the South.  Secondly, I love doing the Great Yarmouth negotiation and the Breydon crossing. Whilst I accept the Bure below Stracey Arms is a bit rubbish, 2 days out of my holiday it certainly isn't. So Mickey, a northern start makes sense to me. 

• Like 3

Simon, agree totally, especially if you want to do a lot of cruising which we do, it makes for an exciting holiday, personally we hire a boat to see as much as the Broads as we can North and South, we never moor up for more than a couple of hours at a time for a bit of fishing or lunch etc

Each to their own and however you do it is up to you, so go forth and enjoy, Mickey

Grace

p.s I really hope Sandersons isn't closing, great yard and people

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Poppy said:

I agree with Poppy on this one. I've been turned away when I tried to Moor there for lunch after it had its refit. I Was told "your not mooring here in that" ( refering to my boat). On a seperate occasion my mum and her staff were turned away when they tried to dine there on a charity walk they were doing.

My regular haunts are surlingham ferry, lovely pub, great food and the friendliest staff and recently Coldham Hall. Both level ground with easy access.

Best food I've had was at Reedham ferry. Ordered a rack of ribs and the waiter came to the table with a bowl of water with a lemon slice in. I drank the bowl of water, was very refreshing. Turns out it was put there to wash the ribs off fingers. Shows how cultured I am hahaha.

Branden

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I have always found it first class, we went in last Tuesday lunchtime and found the only available table.

Regards

Alan

Totally agree with Alan. We found them very obliging and the food very good,certainly the best on the Southern rivers outside Beccles and Norwich. I had not been in since it was the Woods End and had heard it was no longer a pub. Well it wasn't but it was an first rate restaurant with a first rate menu and product.

Fred

• Like 3

Agree with most comments. However never had poor service or food at the waters edge.Last went to the New Inn at Rockland.Was disappointed  with the food  new chef,not as good as before.I very much like going to Rockland will try again only hope the food improves.Last week no food at the Nelson  (No chef) The Ferry at Reedham as of last  visit  very good,moorings  need repairing. Two years ago I helped someone to moor and my leg went though  a plank.Norwich a must many pubs and restaurants,take your pick.Oulton the Waverny , Beccles lovely town and a visit  to the locks.

Ian 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Simon, agree totally, especially if you want to do a lot of cruising which we do, it makes for an exciting holiday, personally we hire a boat to see as much as the Broads as we can North and South, we never moor up for more than a couple of hours at a time for a bit of fishing or lunch etc

I agree. When we always booked with Silverline it was (beside I think their the tops) because  we wanted to cross Breydon. In all the years of Broads cruising since the 60s, only twice have I not crossed from one side to the other.

Fred

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Mickey,

Only booked it last night as we live month to month because of my mums health. This will be her last holiday. So (a) didn't have time to find a suitable boat within budget and boat yard  (b) needed to find a boat with a suitable layout for her needs (c) she isn't going to be getting off and exploring a lot so will be a case of just cruising, so again layout is important (d) we're not wasting any part of the holiday, but gaining time with my mum. 

She used to do this holiday all the time since 1960's and she spent her time cruising up and down and I'm trying to give her back what she had. But as I hadn't been on the southern for a few years, I was just asking for recommendations. 

• Like 8

Mickey, I so hope you enjoy your time with your Mum, it doesn't matter who you hire from or where you go, the most important thing is to just go and enjoy that time, it's so short and far too precious to worry about anything else, get the tides right, go across Breydon and give your Mum the time of her life

Let us know how it goes

Grace :kiss

• Like 7

Mickey I also hope you have a really good holiday all together.

If by any chance you might want to moor somewhere without a pub for a nice quiet evening then I would recommend Langley Dyke and North Cove. Hubby and I find both of them a welcome change after the larger, more popular and therefore noisier spots such as Beccles and Loddon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Mickey I also hope you have a really good holiday all together.

If by any chance you might want to moor somewhere without a pub for a nice quiet evening then I would recommend Langley Dyke and North Cove. Hubby and I find both of them a welcome change after the larger, more popular and therefore noisier spots such as Beccles and Loddon.

Good call. I love Langley Dyke. When I stop for the night at Loddon, I always choose Pyes Mill rather than the Staithe. It's a lovely quiet spot and yet just a short very pleasant walk to the village. 

• Like 4