Food Waste: Wonky Vegetables.

As anybody who have read my previous posts will realise, I do not like wasting food. I am a great fan of Jamie Oliver's campaign to get the Supermarkets to stock everything that is grown and prevent waste. That goes for all the wasted "by catch" of fish caught at sea.

I have just been into my local Aldi and bought a bag of "Wonky Onions" locally grown so there is not many food miles involved. The bag cost me 90p for 1.5kg. The onions are a bit small but no problem.

Well done Aldi. Bring it on!

100_1119.JPG

• Like 5

I'm with you on the waste food issue thingamybob

We've been buying wonky onions,carrots, potatoes & cabbage for months now at Morrisons.

so what if they are not all the same shape & size, they are going to be chopped or sliced anyway and they taste just as nice as the more expensive regulation ones

• Like 6

My local farm shop also does vegetables of all sizes. The farm shops and town markets are always worth a visit. 

Also I do wonder if the Supermarkets are telling us that we do not want wonky veg or is it as they say, we are telling them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I shop in Lidl's, good quality vegetables at great prices. What with a boat, a fishing tackle shop to support, a wife and seven grandchildren I can't afford Morrison's prices, wonky or otherwise!

Just a minute I will get my tissues.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Peter,

I thought you may have been a Tesco shopper:naughty:

Regards

Alan

Awww, thought that you might think that I was a Waitrose customer!

Seriously though, I do visit the big supermarkets, when one is nearer and handier, but wow, do I notice the price differences! Not only that but our local Tesco is BIG and it takes an age to walk around compared with my smaller, more convenient local Aldi & Lidl. Joking aside I really can't see any advantage in throwing money away on premium labels, unless it's fishing tackle!

Coincidently I bump into some of the richest people in Lowestoft, also shopping in Lidl!

• Like 3

We use Aldi & Lidl as well and can't fault them only they are a car journey and Morrisons is a short walk around the corner so often more convenient.

You're right JM about bumping into the richest people in Aldi & Lidl, you should see the Chelsea Tractors often parked outside ours (and we are no where near Chelsea  :facepalm:)

• Like 2

All the big supermarkets are led by us,They know what we buy most.For example,the same company will sell depending  on what goes in different  stores.Where we live there is a large Asian population. Same company elsewhere  may have a large  east European  population  and so on.

The same applies  to fruit and veg,but thanks to some big names there is a trend to stock wonkyveg.If your store does not stock them ask  why not

• Like 2