3rr

Victoryv

Now heres the thing, being a man of a certain age I am always looking for something to put me and my missus outside our comfort zone, so I read a post about the three rivers race and thought how hard can it be?

So how hard can it be ?

I have sailed as crew around the coast of Britain but never on a river, is it feasible to learn how to sail (self taught obviously,I am a man !) and enter this event next year.

I could hire a bought, drag it to Horning behind my own and set off without hope of being competitive.

I can,can't I ?

by the way, she said, brilliant idea !

• Like 3

most people enter it to say they have completed it, not to win, 

then they enter again to see how well they can do, 

then to try and win.

most of the time they would have done much better if the problems experienced did not happen, 

I know our crew would have won 3 times if we had done better. 

• Like 3

Just now, C.Ricko said:

most people enter it to say they have completed it, not to win, 

then they enter again to see how well they can do, 

then to try and win.

most of the time they would have done much better if the problems experienced did not happen, 

I know our crew would have won 3 times if we had done better. 

A bit more practice shooting the bridge at Potter might pay dividends!

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

A bit more practice shooting the bridge at Potter might pay dividends!

yes, got the backstay snagged on the bottom last year, 

we would have won otherwise!:facepalm:

• Like 2

I'm not sure where you live but, if you are around the 20th May, then a trip out at Horning SC open day, would give you some experience, and as an experienced Sailor you MAY even get to helm.:Sailing  you don't say if you've helmed at all...

We've had sailors from all over the world, come and compete over the years. Some successfully some not.

River sailing is nothing like Sea sailing especially the 3RR, tacking in less than every 30 seconds from bank to bank from Acle to Potter for 5 hours in the dark is not relaxing...:Sailing

The continuous swerve from Ant Mouth to Ludham Bridge with 100 boats in a river at times only 30ft wide and the odd very confused tourist in the middle is also an experience...:Sailing

I've done the 3RR about 25 times in the last 40 Years, the best finish was about the high teens, completing the course is the main thing, especially for the first few times of entry.

To win over all you need the right type of boat FOR THAT YEAR, because the race depends a lot on Wind, tide and race start. But there are lots of trophies for many different classes.

A true Broads Cruiser tuned for racing, a Thames "A" rater would get you up the tables. but a Normal broads Keel boat could also win if the conditions are right.

As for you to compete successfully, you'd need really to get some broads experience so you have a choice:

Get your own boat, best around 20-25ft LOA, Draft 3ft, Tall easily lowerable mast. Unless you like the Pleasure ( or is it pain) of a dinghy!!

Hire a keelboat / yacht from Hunter craft Historic fleet at Ludham / Womack, http://www.huntersyard.co.uk/sailing-holidays/find-sailing-holiday/

Hire a Keelboat / yacht from Martham Boats http://www.marthamboats.com/

Get out there and go sailing. Practice is what you need.

Other than that GO FOR IT!!!:love

• Like 1

I knew it would be easy !

Many thanks for the detailed reply TheQ, unfortunately I can't be in Norfolk 20th May or I would certainly have taken advantage.

We moor above the bridge so will take advantage of Martham Boats.

Martham have Classic, which goes quite fast.

What hasn't been said as far as I can see is that the 3RR is an invitation race so entries for this year are already done and dusted. 

You could offer yourself as crew on here, NBF and maybe on the local sailing clubs notice boards, so as to get a taste of the race?

VV is asking what to do to get ready for next year, entry forms are normally on the Horning SC web site around February with a closure date at the end of April.

SEE the Horning sailing club Web site and the Three rivers race web site(not connected to the club as you'll find more information there.