Advice Please

Meg

Hello there, I think it is 33 sleeps until we come for our 2 weeks on Encore 2. I wonder if there is public mooring at Stalham or is it best to use the boatyard (with permission)?

We also hope to get under Potter Heigham bridge if the water is low enough, really cannot wait.

Meg

We always find Wednesday to be a good day to moor at Richardson's as it's not a turn around day and there's some nice moorings on the end looking down the river without going right into the basin so it doesn't feel like you're in the boatyard.

• Like 2

Hi Meg

We had Encore 1 in June and I did a mini review of it which you will find in 'Hire Boat Discussion' (I think).

As David says Wednesday is a good day if you are going to moor at Richardsons or need a pump out there since it is not a 'turn round' day.  if you need a pump out on a Wednesday you need to go to the quay furthest from the river end, that is where the office is anyway, if I remember correctly we paid £12 in June, make sure you tell them it is a hire boat.

There is a public staithe at Stalham at the end of the dyke that goes off immediately before Richardsons but it is quite tight at the staithe to turn, however, with Encore and her very powerful Bow Thruster you should have no problem.

As far as Potter Heigham is concerned then it is in the lap of the gods (tides) the best option is to ring the pilot the day before.  Encore 1 is marked at 6'10" in the manual and is only 11' wide so it has a reasonable chance but never guaranteed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BryanW said:

Hi Meg

We had Encore 1 in June and I did a mini review of it which you will find in 'Hire Boat Discussion' (I think).

As David says Wednesday is a good day if you are going to moor at Richardsons or need a pump out there since it is not a 'turn round' day.  if you need a pump out on a Wednesday you need to go to the quay furthest from the river end, that is where the office is anyway, if I remember correctly we paid £12 in June, make sure you tell them it is a hire boat.

There is a public staithe at Stalham at the end of the dyke that goes off immediately before Richardsons but it is quite tight at the staithe to turn, however, with Encore and her very powerful Bow Thruster you should have no problem.

As far as Potter Heigham is concerned then it is in the lap of the gods (tides) the best option is to ring the pilot the day before.  Encore 1 is marked at 6'10" in the manual and is only 11' wide so it has a reasonable chance but never guaranteed.

Hi Bryan,

Here is the link to your revue:-

Regards

Alan

Hi there, some good advice so far. I like the Staithe at Stalham, worth a look if you're not late in the day. Richardsons is a good bet any day of the week to be honest. Even if it was a turnaround day they have the luxury of the quay towards the edge already mentioned plus the quays in the boatyard itself that aren't used for turnaround. If in doubt, check at reception. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone, Bryan says Barnes Encore marked as 6'10". Earlier in the year I found a reference saying 6'4" air draft, of course I cannot now find it to check. Is there a difference between air draft and clearance or are they the same thing.

Meg

Hi Meg, pretty much the same thing - air draft is just the more technical name. Very few hire boats have an air draft of 6' 4' - an air draft of 6' 10" is more common but even with this Potter Heigham could be tricky, not a lot is getting through these days. Should be fine for the other bridges though (apart from Thorpe and Beccles Old at high tide) 

• Like 1