Peaceful, Pleasant Mooring? If Only!

addicted

Interesting conversation.

Where do the lines of tolerance and the lines of responsibility cross? No one knows because everyones line is bent differently.

We live in a bog standard residential street, at any time there could be bonfires, barbecues, music, grass cutting, kids parties, DIY etc. going on, and if we're not doing any of those things any of our neighbours might be. It goes with the territory and most people get it just fine.

My neighbour, on the other hand, doesn't get it and moans about everything, we're supposed to tell him if we intend to have a barbeque so he can shut his windows and we have to be careful when playing badminton in the garden to ensure the shuttlecock doesn't land in his garden. He doesn't cause anyone any problems. He is an extreme, he moved into a desert and is now moaning that he has sand between his toes!

There is the other extreme, totally inconsiderate in their actions, I've not personally experienced anyone like this but know they exist.

In the middle is the most dangerous type, the one who "believes" he never does anything to upset or cause a nuisance to anyone whilst at the same time getting upset or annoyed by other middlers  causing him a nuisance:42_confused:

I'm a middler, so put your bonfire out and let me enjoy my barbecue.:default_beerchug:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I suppose I'm very lucky with my neighbours. OK, my neighbour on one side is my other half but I'm still lucky all the same. Each and every one of my neighbours both sides of the road have keys to my house just in case I'm ill. If I'm firkling in my workshop they keep an eye on me. My upstairs neighbours know if I'm unwell I will be in bed in the afternoon and keep the kids from making too much noise. All of my neighbours know where my emergency meds are and what to do with them in an emergency. 

None of us lives in each other's pockets yet all know that if there's gardening need doing the bloke two doors up will help, bits of woodwork, letter writing, and telling official types how to get stuffed they knock on my door. For cars, it's the bloke across the road you need, sewing it's my other half, web design and internet the guy three doors down...and on and on it goes. And it's not just my street...I suppose it's a bit like the NBN, |I chat to the bloke on the next street, he borrows a plane for his DIY then helps me build my shed extension. If |I'm going to the tip I let folks know and take everyone's rubbish at the same time. It's what they call community I think.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Timbo said:

It's what they call community I think.

Thats how it was when i was a kid Tim, but now its all so different the community spirit certainly doesnt live on in most areas in my view, I will talk to anyone you know, I chatted to you at the spring meet, says every thing ( tongue in cheek) lol

Charlie

• Haha 1

round where I live. it has been this way in the past, certain problem families moved into the area and upset that apple cart, at the moment we have students one side (not too bad except when they host a party, every year, early on they are given the ground rules, ie late night parties are ok over the weekend, but keep it down during the early part of the day when my daughter is sleeping after nights, and I reserve the right to be awake at 7am and working in my workshop, when you only finished your party at 5am.

the other side we have a family where the kids (in their late 20's and 30's) have learning difficulties, they are lovely boys, but have a tendency to be loud without thinking, other than that they are nice enough and helpful.

but the trouble families- now gone, did something and the community doesnt seem to work as well as when we moved in, add the constant changeover of about 1/3 of the population each year (students), and the community spirit has waned.

Presumably laws were brought in because people in general couldn't be relied on to live their lives without doing things that were detrimental to other folk. I really don't believe that anyone has the right to create a situation where a popular area used for recreation and by people on holiday is made unpleasant. I don't believe that it's being fussy to object to being given a sore throat by acrid smoke or intolerant to object to my boat being covered with black greasy smuts simply because  folk have had bonfires for centuries. There is is a multitude of  practices that were carried on for centuries that today's civilised society now recognize as unacceptable and inappropriate in a civilised world. To adopt the attitude "I want to do such and such  because it's been done for centuries so you'll just have adjust your preferred way of life to accommodate me" is arrogant in the extreme.

Carole

19 minutes ago, addicted said:

To adopt the attitude "I want to do such and such  because it's been done for centuries so you'll just have adjust your preferred way of life to accommodate me"

I have risen to the bait.

Why should people have to bow down and follow like sheep those, that think their opinion, their life is the only important one on this planet.

But not swallowed it.:default_biggrin:

Charlie

I was reading the rules regarding bonfires- chimneas and barbecues fairly recently, and you are advised to avoid being a nuisance with a bonfire.

the issue here is that the bonfires be repeated and regular to qualify to be a nuisance - eg if you had one 3 times a year, this would not be deemed a nuisance as it would not be regular enough to count.

if however you only ever had a bonfire on a wednesday afternoon when mrs jones had her washing out, that could be considered a nuisance.

a bit of common sense needs to be applied both by the person having the bonfire and those on the receiving end of the smoke, is it a one off event, or a regular day in day out job. the latter, if not allowing the neighbours any time of respite to say - put their washing out, could be considered nuisance. the former could just be bad luck that this was the only time when the bonfire was lit.

conversely the person lighting the bonfire has a few guidelines to follow too - does anyone have their washing out - windows open etc. and most importantly the person in charge of the bonfire must remain with it until it has died down to a safe level.

strangely enough fires for cooking are treated differently to bonfires and are generally allowed.

the only strange part I did find was that if there is a chimney- its fine - unless it is poking through a roof, be it shed, outhouse or whatever, different regulations come into force.

then there are smoke free zones, wherein smokeless fuel must be used- i am fortunate that although we have one close by we are not within its boundaries, and cooking fires are allowed even in smoke free zones.

• Like 1

Cat amongst pigeons time.  I think bon fires in the 21st century are anti social and unnecessary.  Nothing worse on a good day,  Windows open  some Hiawatha  decides to light up making all your bedding stink and your washing.  I have been known to take my washing round and ask for them to rewash it all.   

The local council can prosecute people who cause a nuisance with bonfires.   Carol you have my sympathy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

T

Just now, Hylander said:

Cat amongst pigeons time.  I think bon fires in the 21st century are anti social and unnecessary.  Nothing worse on a good day,  Windows open  some Hiawatha  decides to light up making all your bedding stink and your washing.  I have been known to take my washing round and ask for them to rewash it all.   

The local council can prosecute people who cause a nuisance with bonfires.   Carol you have my sympathy.

Thanks for the support. What sane person wants all that sooty smutty residue in thei soft furnishings, carpets etc. Who wants to be deprived of the p!easure of throwing open French doors and windows on a lovely day becausesome selfish person wants to burn some rubbish.Rather than take that route we pay the council to take it away.

Carole

1 minute ago, addicted said:

Rather than take that route we pay the council to take it away.

When I was a kid all bonfire ashes were used to spread on the garden, to help the soil. You just have to look at all the extra fertilisters farmers now use, since stubble burning was banned.  In France i have seen whole mountainsides set afire, to no complaints.

No wonder this country is going to the dogs and becoming such a nanny state, with such selfishness.

Rant ove

Charlie

• Like 3

I was delighted when the law put paid to the awful practice of burning stubble.  The poor creatures who were living in the habitat died a horrible death.Charlie, just because something has been done habitually for a long time doesn't  automatically give it credance. Lots of thing have gone out of use because modern society recognised that they were flawed. Did you know that the practice of referring to a woman as a wench is no longer considered acceptable and indeed frowned on by some? There you go  you live and learn!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Leave my pigeon out of it he's a very good boy :default_beerchug:

IMG_20170918_160718.jpg

21 minutes ago, Hylander said:

and mine! 

5 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

No wonder this country is going to the dogs and becoming such a nanny state, with such selfishness.

Rant ove

Charlie

Have you read that comment back to yourself and considered how it sounds.

The people not setting fire to things are certainly not the selfish ones! 

As a society we cant in one hand treat smoking the way we do and then accept people starting fires in thier gardens and have smoke and fumes affecting others......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

we cant in one hand treat smoking the way we do and then accept people starting fires in thier gardens

I dont smoke, but I certainly dont think that those that do should these days be treated like lepers.

Live let live, if you dont like some thing move away from it.

Charlie 

• Like 1

Im not anti smoking nor do I smoke.......anymore!  (Still miss it every day,  not the cost and health implications or the smell.....just the feeling and relaxation of having the cigarette) 

Anyway. In Carols case she was able to move the boat away from the bonfire smoke/smell but having to actually move house to get yourself away from a garden fire is a bit extreme isnt it!!!!

• Like 2

while somebody having a bonfire can be inconvenient, it is not at present illegal (provided you dont cause a nuisance as defined on the link I provided) Unless you are burning something that is not allowed it takes more than 1 bonfire to qualify as a nuisance.

I agree that when you have windows open or washing on the line it is not pleasant, that is why it is good to check before starting a bonfire, some of the people round our way will go out of their way to warn you they will be having a barbecue, others just go ahead and light it.

the consequences of banning such things are great - we will just cancel bonfire night then, no more november 5th.

the thing that is lacking nowadays is the common sense and common decency, not to cause problems for others. I can remember my parents waiting days to have a bonfire to ensure that none of the neighbours had their washing out or windows open, some people dont have that consideration for others nowadays.

similarly the neighbours realised that once the bonfire was started it would only go on so long and delayed putting their washing on the line if they saw a neighbour had started a bonfire. a bit of give and take all ways.

• Like 2

Just now, dnks34 said:

having to actually move house to get yourself away from a garden fire is a bit extreme isnt it!!!!

If my poor old Dad was still with us (RIP DAD) he would tell it like it was his dad and and maybe even his gradad, burnt all garden waste, that wasnt compostable, to spread the ashes on the earth in the garden. I know no namby pamby selfish do gooder would have won with him.

Charlie

OK hang on I can't see anywhere in this thread that the person's responsible for all of the actions were approached , that's the first thing to do without that they might not realise they are causing anyone any problems at all , its the same for speeding boat everyone complains about it but very few report it and in this case it needs reporting to those that are the source of the alleged problem , as had already been said if iv a problem that I can't sort out then I simply move I don't go home I move elsewhere after all bramerton is a very long mooring but its not been said how busy it was there might not have been room further up , however I really Think that people need to address the problem with those concerned before they attacking them on a forum where the would hardly know about it and therefore have no voice .

There was not the possibility of approaching the person responsible for the bonfire it was when I saw it unattended, neither was there any part of Brammerton that was unaffected by the fumes, so moving would have achieved nothing. Had I seen the person responsible I would have no hesitation in pointing out how polluted he had made the air and asked him to extinguish it.

The fact remains that no one ought to be obliged to move because of someone else's thoughtless inconsideration. While the fire was on someone' s own land the smell and ash fall out was not, that was in the public domain where it had no place. I wonder if on the back of the growing popularity of wood burners etc. The repealing of the 1956 Clean Air Act in 1964 may be rescinded, there could certainly be a case for that I believe.

• Like 1

Over the last year or so the boat yard over the river from us was regurlarly indulging themselves and setting fire to anything they could lay their hands on.

What do we think white GRP ends up looking like when thick ash particles fall all over it.  Our boat (and others) may aswell have been black, and it was only a few weekends before that happened we had spent a great deal of time cleaning it.  Yes we were livid but we didnt start throwing insults out!! 

• Like 2

We had the same problem in Brundall Bay it went on for practically the who! Season I contacted the council who did make an attempt to find the yard but went to the wrong place! However they were prepared to  do something about it as commercial outfits are not allowed to do this apparently because of damaging the air quality. The problem stopped, but I don't know if it came to a natural halt or was prompted by the council.

Carole

• Like 1