Peaceful, Pleasant Mooring? If Only!

addicted

This morning we thought we' d head to Brammerton Common to spend a pleasant day and overnight. Got a mooring no problem, well just one the boat behind ,a very nice man but suffering from verbal diaorrhea! Eventually just as I was almost tearing my hair out his companion escaped on a kayak. Peace at last, not for long he then decides to vacuum his boat to within an inch of it's life!. He apologised very nicely and lengthily for the racket, what could one say? Then another boat comes in behind him, complete with yapping dog!  Oh joy this just gets better and better! But was it any of this that eventually drove us to return to our berth? Actually no. It was the selfish so and so  who lit a smelly bonfire  in one of the adjacent gardens and covered the boat with black smuts and stunk us out!

Carole

• Sad 3

Just now, addicted said:

This morning we thought we' d head to Brammerton Common to spend a pleasant day and overnight. Got a mooring no problem, well just one the boat behind ,a very nice man but suffering from verbal diaorrhea! Eventually just as I was almost tearing my hair out his companion escaped on a kayak. Peace at last, not for long he then decides to vacuum his boat to within an inch of it's life!. He apologised very nicely and lengthily for the racket, what could one say? Then another boat comes in behind him, complete with yapping dog!  Oh joy this just gets better and better! But was it any of this that eventually drove us to return to our berth? Actually no. It was the selfish so and so  who lit a smelly bonfire  in one of the adjacent gardens and covered the boat with black smuts and stunk us out!

Carole

Wow a person who apologies for creating a little noise while tidying his boat ( how loud is a vacuum cleaner ? Mines quiet ) then a dog doing wat dogs do , then cap it all someone burning rubbish etc on their own land :default_blink:, one of the very reasons I chose to live afloat was if yiu don't like the neighbours then you simply move , however none of this would brother me its for a very limited amount of time , I do wonder that if the said gentleman who was burning rubbish had a fire lit in his fire place and smoke had descended to river level as it often does would he have got the same response to say nothing of the crews who BBQ on bramerton common all summer long .

Surely a little live and let live  should be applied , the guy with the VAC apologised , a dog owner isn't totally responsible for a dog talking in the way they do and as for smoke how the heck do you control that be it BBQ smoke or another .

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

He was burning half the Bramerton cliff last Friday, too! Didn't affect us, but what could you do? It's his property (I presume). 

To be honest ray every time I pass there is at least once a week something is on fire , but kijw you say its his land but trust me if my boat stove was annoying other's it would be going  out instantly I'm not here to hack folk off :41_pensive:

11 hours ago, Ricardo said:

To be honest ray every time I pass there is at least once a week something is on fire , but kijw you say its his land but trust me if my boat stove was annoying other's it would be going  out instantly I'm not here to hack folk off :41_pensive:

At one time it was an offence to light a bonfire during  the day and in fact it still is for business es to do it (builders etc.) It was a good law I wish it was still in effect. The smoke yesterday was really unpleasant and anyone with respiritory problems wouldn't have been able to stay

Carole

• Like 1

Happy to say I have a next-door neighbour who still has a coal fire and no central heating. On a good day, when the smoke from her chimney reaches nose level, it reminds me of my childhood in Doncaster. 

I have a fire going once a week to burn off all those bits of scraps my other neighbour deems too small for his log burner. It gives me an opportunity to make fresh chapatti on the side of the chimnea for curry night! 

While across the road I had to show another neighbour how to make a slow-burning twitch fire to get rid of all of the twitch roots he'd dug from his new vegetable garden...another smell from childhood.

Now that the season has ended at the Hickling campsite I am going to miss my campfire on an evening.

DSC_0168.JPG

• Like 8

4 hours ago, addicted said:

At one time it was an offence to light a bonfire during  the day and in fact it still is for business es to do it (builders etc.) It was a good law I wish it was still in effect. The smoke yesterday was really unpleasant and anyone with respiritory problems wouldn't have been able to stay

Carole

That was local bylaws that only applied in a few places normally in some cities,

It was also custom and practice in many areas so as not to upset the ladies hanging out their washing.

9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That was local bylaws that only applied in a few places normally in some cities,

It was also custom and practice in many areas so as not to upset the ladies hanging out their washing.

Oh my current bonfire is about 20ft across and 10 ft high, I'm waiting for a good northerly so I don't set fire to the neighbours thatched roof...

I must admit that I find the smell from bonfires (unless its an organised event on bonfire night) very irritating to the senses.

It can at times be annoying enough living amongst other folk in this modern world where no one gives a damm about anyone else, hearing is one thing but when people in my vicinity start filling my home with the smell of their burning rubbish it makes me boil over. 

There are less anti social and I hazard a guess at other more environmentally friendly ways of disposing of waste rather than burning. 

BBQ's on the other hand just make me hungry! 

• Thanks 1

When I was a kid every house had a bonfire regularly, to get rid of garden rubbish etc.

What has happened in the last 50-60 years to make some people so intolerant of others?. if its not bonfires,  noise, fumes or dog/cat mess its parking or mooring. When I was a kid everyone new everyone else in the road, doors were left unlocked, every one looked out for each other. Now its all about not knowing people and finding some thing to moan about ..... Get a grip

Lifes to short to waste it moaning, just get on with your own, and leave others to get on with theirs.

Charlie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Theres always been intolerant folk about they just havent had internet forum to discuss it.

Whether its intolerant or inconsiderate depends on your own personal opinion.

I wouldnt call myself intolerant of others but when I cant find peace from noise or smells in my own property then I do reserve the right to get anoid about it! 

One of the delights of living in rural Norfolk at this time of year is the smell of a bonfire of autumn leaves. Also the smell of a coal fire, in an open fireplace.

In the 41 years that my parents and I lived there I never had my own key to the gunboat Morning Flight on Thorpe Island. The front door had a Yale lock and the key was kept in it, day and night. Motor cruisers, both private and hire, never had locks on the doors or windows and the engines were started by a push button or a crank handle. Our River Cruiser, Evening Flight, was kept on a buoy on Wroxham Broad, but had no form of lock on the cabin doors.

I wonder what has really happened, to create such a radical change in human nature, over the last 40 years? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

why should I feel forced to close a window to stop a neighbours acrid bonfire fumes filling my home?

Why should some one be denied doing some thing that has been done for centuries, not be allowed to do it, just because you object to it.

I have about 12 bonfires a year..... none of my neighbours object 28 deg or -2 deg.... bites tounge no best not

Charlie

• Like 2

It amazes me that you obviously think its acceptable to undertake such an activity in a place or at time thats going to encroach or infringe on someone elses enjoyment of their own property or have a misunderstood you?

Its not so much about me objecting as to why do you need to do it?!

Are you confident none of your neighbours dont object? Has this actually been discussed individually with each person or are you presuming there is no complaint as they havent said anything to you?

Maybe your local environment is more condusive to bonfires than mine is.

Near me theres been a Business burning building/green material waste overnight thinking they would get away with it..........they havent!

• Thanks 1

my neighbours made very vocal complaints when I ran my portable woodburner in the garden as m daughter and I cooked up eggs and bacon on it for fun. of course when they sit in their garden with a huge bonfire burning any old wood they can find (mostly painted wood) into the early hours - well then thats fine, but breakfast 2 days in a row was 'always using it' and they got the manager of the homeless shelter across the road to complain about their washing (over 100 foot away and completely sheltered from my 2" stove chimney b their huge building).

horses for courses, but I do believe burning and creating toxic fumes is frowned upon by the council, whereas a portable stove could be called a barbecue.

I think thats a bit different If you need it for heating Ricardo and personally I dont find the solid fuel odour so strong on the senses! 

Its people burning whatever detritus they can chuck in a steel bin I find the problem giving off whatever untold maybe cancer inducing fumes that can then end up hanging in the air in peoples homes.  

Obviously if you have a secluded property and not many neighbours it may not be much of an issue to others but in built up residential areas it ought to be banned.  

Status symbol wood burners can cause as much of a nuisance in residential areas when people chuck any old plank in them and dont use properly seasoned wood. 

• Like 1

Not giving woman the right to vote is something we done for centuries too....

Context is important here. To me, mad dogs yapping is annoying. It's what dogs do you say. Me playing loud music outside your door is what I do then. Bet you complain then.

Hoover the boat back in the marina then, that's what I do.

Bonfires, great on a frosty morning. Stupid on a mild one so none can have a window open. What's the pressing need to smoke everyone out now, at this moment that can't wait a bit?

And that rubbish about the old days? Peaceful? Many a neighbour fight was had according to my grandad who was a beat copper in the east end. From domestics at turning out time to pay day gambling, street against street and family against family. Doors was left open because you had nothing worth stealing. He used to say the only difference between now and then was that the old Bill was never called in at all and a load of violence was classed a domestic and left alone.

I try to be responsible. I never run my engine at silly o'clock. I frap my lines as not to knock against the mast and I keep my dogs under bark control when in public holiday area

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

One of the delights of living in rural Norfolk at this time of year is the smell of a bonfire of autumn leaves. Also the smell of a coal fire, in an open fireplace.

In the 41 years that my parents and I lived there I never had my own key to the gunboat Morning Flight on Thorpe Island. The front door had a Yale lock and the key was kept in it, day and night. Motor cruisers, both private and hire, never had locks on the doors or windows and the engines were started by a push button or a crank handle. Our River Cruiser, Evening Flight, was kept on a buoy on Wroxham Broad, but had no form of lock on the cabin doors.

I wonder what has really happened, to create such a radical change in human nature, over the last 40 years? 

Something has changed, I wonder what:13_upside_down: