24hr Moorings To Become 48hr?

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, KaptinKev said:

Unless your boat has cellotex and double glazing like Alan Herd fitted out on his narrow boat Dover, boating in winter can't be very enjoyable. Like Robin said in one of his Christmas video's, "it's bloody cold". He didn't sound like he would want to repeat the experience.

Ah the biggest misconception of boating in winter " its cold " , it all depends on how set up for cold weather the boat is , yes insulation works as does double glazing but that's only half the story , but hwy iv only been doing life afloat for 12 yrs and in some cases that puts me in the  beginner class , take Islander for example I think I'm correct but he and his wife have 17 yrs under their belts this yr and like me are more than happy afloat :default_beerchug:

Once again I agree with Ricado (This is getting frightening :)  ) that being on a boat in the winter isn't a problem as long as you are properly prepared. Thick duvet, warm clothing and go easy using the gas cooker which causes condensation.

Dampness is your only real enemy. If things get damp, especially bedding then coldness will soon follow. Stay dry and you can stay warm.

• Like 2

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

The EDP article actually covers two different subjects and I think there has been some confusion? 1. The promotion of Winter boating and more hardy privateers using their boats in Winter, as well as some hire boats being hired in the Winter and 2. The possible increase of mooring time from 24hrs to 48hrs on The Southern Broads. Unless I have misread it, this proposal is not season dependant?

Personally I think the increase in mooring time from 24hrs to 48hrs is a bad idea all round. In the Summer time the problems are obvious. Somerleyton and Bramerton can get very busy and full and with decent pubs near to both of these you would get many people choosing to exercise the 48hr option, to the detriment of others who would like to use the mooring. I can also see groups that like to get together such as The NBN, or The Seamaster club, or the scouts etc etc monopolising such moorings for 48hrs rather than seeking paid options such as The WRC, the yacht stations and Salhouse as they do now.

Whilst the moorings are generally quieter in Winter and it would perhaps make sense in the Winter, I still see draw backs. The majority of boats are not set up to be stationary for more than 24hrs. Most have problems with even a few hours before they feel the need to run engines, generators or plug in, let alone doubling that time period. The Winter period places greater opposing demands on a boats systems. Shorter daylight hours, means more lighting, heating etc used from batteries that generally speaking perform less well in a colder environment. If I hired a boat in Winter I would still want to cruise, otherwise I might as well rent a warm waterside property. Most hardy private boaters as mentioned above will not have the systems in place to keep everything topped up for 48hrs without needing to plug in or make noise.

That leaves us with one group of boaters who are hardy, normally prepared for the coldness of Winter and may have made alterations that enable them to spend longer periods without running their engines. I'm off course thinking of liveaboards and continual cruisers, who are likely to have wood burning stoves, wind generators and perhaps upgraded battery, or electrical systems. Whilst not all of this group overstay on moorings, a fair number already do. Will moving the goal post from 24hr to 48hr change this? or just encourage people to try and stay for 72hrs? Give an inch and many people will take a yard.

Whilst I appreciate that the canals often have moorings with longer stay periods, there is generally a lot more mooring space full stop. Until the BA provide a lot more free mooring space I would really resist the move to longer mooring periods.

Perhaps the BA should work with the private sector and persuade them to provide more mooring space and fill a market for short to mid stay mooring. Most marinas provide annual moorings and some locations will provide 24hr moorings, pubs, Wroxham hotel, Barnes, Brundall Bay have a couple of 24hr moorings etc. I'm thinking of places such as Percy's Island, or Woodbastwick which are privately run, but still effectively 24hr moorings. Perhaps leeway for the owners to be able to charge for a 3 or 4 day period, or by the week? I can think of places down South that are piled and have private no mooring signs, near Langley Dyke for instance, upstream from The Beauchamp Arms. Perhaps encourage these land owners to provide a few more posts and safety equipment and allow multiple day or weekly lets? 

• 3 weeks later...

As I only acquired " My-Newt " 6 weeks ago , this will be my first winter afloat . The biggest problem I'm likely to have is , the wife is one of those that feel the cold , and has decided to leave me to my own devices until March / April ...... So I'll be " Single Crewing " for the next 4 / 5 months :default_drink_2: