Help Needed With A Couple Of Winter Jobs

Been working my way through the list of jobs that needs doing over the winter, one job i need advice on is the four piece folding windscreen arrangement, two of the four screens have gone misty and have crazing around the edges, they are a perspex ,lexan type plastic, I did have a go at polishing them when I first bought the boat and they did come up a lot better but now they are looking pretty grim again and when the sun is shining on them its almost impossible to see through, what is the best stuff to use, perspex, lexan ,acrylic?? Is perspex just another name for lexan? Sure I read somewhere that acrylic was different and more suitable for windows,, 2nd job is replacing the smoke alarm and the co alarm both these fell off when we had the boat moved last week, both these are cheap enough so thought I would just buy new ones but since it failed the bss a few months ago on various gas installation issues the wife is now paranoid about gas leaking in the future, I always turn it off when not in use but she now is a bit uneasy about it, is there such a thing as a battery or 12v powered gas leak detector? Been googling but they are all either mains powered or the small hand held ones, not sure if such a thing even exists or is even something worthwhile having but if she knows there is something there then she might feel a bit better about staying on it??

You can fit a bubble detector in the gas line, does your cooker have a FFD fitted if so should be ok.  I always disconnect the bottle when we leave the boat that way we can be sure it doesn’t leak.

Lexan acrylic and Perspex are all brand names, some have better uv protection a quick google should sort you out.

Doug.

The new cooker does have ffds fitted to oven,grill and hob and will always be turned off after use, its more of a piece of mind thing for the wife, it was after the sad events at Wroxham island that worried her and then the boat failed the bss on gas issues, its all been replaced ,we have new gas lines,a new gas locker with drain, its all been passed off but the wife said just because it was all ok on the day it passed doesn't mean it will be ok next week, can't argue with that I suppose, we are fitting new co detector and smoke alarms just looking for something for the gas .

When you fit your gas alarm make sure that any sniffer is mounted in the bilge area  (gas is heavier than air of course so will fall if it leaks). 

We tend to opt for an alarm with separate sensor so it sniffs where it's needed but can still be heard, and also fit a bubble tester. That way you can test the system at any time and know it's right. 

The new cooker does have ffds fitted to oven,grill and hob and will always be turned off after use, its more of a piece of mind thing for the wife, it was after the sad events at Wroxham island that worried her and then the boat failed the bss on gas issues, its all been replaced ,we have new gas lines,a new gas locker with drain, its all been passed off but the wife said just because it was all ok on the day it passed doesn't mean it will be ok next week, can't argue with that I suppose, we are fitting new co detector and smoke alarms just looking for something for the gas .

• you don ,t need any electronic gismo,s to be safe with gas on board, when you finish using the gas , leave a burner running ,then turn off at the bottle , the burner will burn all the gas ,then no gas left, you can trust the bottle tap...its been tested before you get the bottle, otherwise it don,t go out.
  •  

Sorry the whole thing s gone pe tong , the best way to be safe with gas on boats is to leave a burner running ,then turn off at the bottle , the gas bottle valve is tested at every fill, so you can trust it , so there will be no /or minute chance with this method, detectors well how much do you want to pay ? I work with them every day , a good tester......£ plus.....recalibration.....250, per year do the math,