Anti Social Media?

JennyMorgan

generally companies trawl the internet for adverse comments, if you work for them and have posted adverse comments it can result in disciplinary action or dismissal - even if its just facebook.

At work we now have an internal social media called yammer, you can see the facebook users in the tone of the posts even there, you can also do groups there so I have set one up to answer CAD related questions.

Just now, grendel said:

generally companies trawl the internet for adverse comments, if you work for them and have posted adverse comments it can result in disciplinary action or dismissal - even if its just facebook.

This is true, we have had disciplinary action against some of my colleagues who have said something or posted a picture deemed unsuitable by the service.

We recently had a fatal car accident too where a member of the deceased family was asking my colleague questions on Facebook  (he knew her very vaguely from the past) about her treatent etc which he obviously couldn't reply to due to forthcoming legal processes but she wouldn't stop regardless.

Very uncomfortable, and if he had a 'moment' and did reply giving details would most certainly have led to dismissal and potentially corrupting the legal system.

It's not for me really, neither is twatter but it does very occasionally have a use which is why I keep my account despite not using it.

i joined a Broads related FB page which claimed to be "official", it soon became apparent that this page was not all that it claimed to be. Having posted a comment about something fairly uncontroversial about running engines late at night, I was subjected to a tirade of abuse. Furthermore, the abuse turned into racism and homophobia! It became clear that certain members of the group held somewhat dubious right-wing political views that were nothing to do with the Broads.  I simply left the group and blocked the people involved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, socrates said:

i joined a Broads related FB page which claimed to be "official", it soon became apparent that this page was not all that it claimed to be. Having posted a comment about something fairly uncontroversial about running engines late at night, I was subjected to a tirade of abuse. Furthermore, the abuse turned into racism and homophobia! It became clear that certain members of the group held somewhat dubious right-wing political views that were nothing to do with the Broads.  I simply left the group and blocked the people involved.

I simply can't imagine for the life of me to whom you might be alluding!

That aside I really do find it hard to cope with the bullying tactics and manners of some people. I'm as up for a good discussion , even if we roundly disagree, as the next person but when some folk aggressively post purely for arguments sakes then I don't welcome their contribution to the debate. 

As for racism & homophobia, it goes on in life, don't we all know it and it has no place on any forum. One of my great grannies was Romani Gypsey, a fact that I'm quietly proud of. Should I comment when I see or hear someone use that unfortunate term 'Pikey'? No, I just  ignore them and move on. There's enough intolerance in life without me being intolerant of intolerants! However there should be no room for abuse on any pulpit.

• Like 7

When I meet people I have a conversation, when I phone people I have a conversation, when I text people I pass on information I also use email, in all cases I know who I am talking to  and who is receiving my information, on here I converse with people some of whom I do not know but I know it is a secure environment, why would I want or need to indulge in anything else, when I see how dependant younger generations are on so called Social (anti-social) media I despair for the future and am just glad I lived my life when I did.

Fred

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

When I meet people I have a conversation, when I phone people I have a conversation, when I text people I pass on information I also use email, in all cases I know who I am talking to  and who is receiving my information, on here I converse with people some of whom I do not know but I know it is a secure environment, why would I want or need to indulge in anything else, when I see how dependant younger generations are on so called Social (anti-social) media I despair for the future and am just glad I lived my life when I did.

Fred

I've never spoken to anyone from over the other side before! 

• Haha 1