The Broads Is Not A National Park!

JennyMorgan

10 hours ago, Norfolkangler said:

Sadly your right, I guess we are jost old coggers.

Maybe we should be grateful for small mercies.  I moved from north west London to Milton Keynes in 1977.  The reason was purely so I could afford to buy a house.  When I moved there, Milton Keynes was really in its infancy.  Some of the famous grid roads were already laid out and building of the shopping centre and some of the many housing estates was underway.  Aside from the three existing towns that were already there, Stony Stratford, Wolverton and Bletchley, all of the planned development was to be on land previously used for farming.  When completed, the projected population was to be 250,000, however, according to Google, the current population of the new city is over 288,000.  This equates to just under 8,500 per square mile.

Reports, again on Google, suggest that the anticipated population will rise to somewhere between 315,000 and 326,000 by 2030 and potentially 500,000 by 2050.

The current average population per square mile in Norfolk is less than 500.  As for light pollution, we have no street lighting in our village and the sky on a clear night is a star gazer’s delight.

I know where I would rather live.

• Like 4

I first lived in Milton Keynes in 1975-6 in Bletchley Park, your description is quite accurate. There was a huge change when we moved there again in 1988 through to 1996 in Stantonbury. Much More crowded.

I was extremely happy to have moved to Norfolk, 20 houses in the village over 2 miles of road.. 

Problems? They've dug the road up so it's closed... Alternative routes? 

A Boat, aka a Byway Open to All Traffic that is a mud road with potholes over a foot deep.

A restricted byway, that is soft mud 18 inch deep ruts filled with water.

A restricted byway , tarmac sort of , grass growing down the middle in places, sand covering in others, exceedingly narrow, ditches on both sides of the single track road in some places.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

A restricted byway , tarmac sort of , grass growing down the middle in places, sand covering in others, exceedingly narrow, ditches on both sides of the single track road in some places.

We used to just call these roads when I was young!

When I lived in Tunstead, the main route to Coltishall, Horstead, west Norwich, etc was generally down Tunstead Road to the Sco Ruston bends. That always had grass down the middle. A quick look on Google Streetview and it looks like it's probably still much the same. I think they switched a lot of minor roads to byway status in the hope of avoiding maintenance costs, but issues with public liability makes it a pretty ineffective tactic. A lot of them are very ancient, and hence very stable anyway, so tend not to need much upkeep. I think a lot of typical "poor" roads in Norfolk look pretty good compared to the state of the average road out in the Fens.