The Broads Is Not A National Park!

JennyMorgan

This thread came to welcome stuttering halt with the prospect of the restructuring of the broads. Nothing's changed.

Yes you have the right to express an opinion, no I don't have to read it, "are you saying ....?" Same old forum cliches used as an excuse for hitting the keyboard. Soo boring and preditctable...

Oh I almost forgot, don't forget to like like like your Buddies posts in support to show you're in the gang.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, floydraser said:

Nooooooooooooo!!!

Please bury this!!!:default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:

You have shouted at us to shut up and  suggested that we consider new members who must be wondering what we are on about.  Funny that this assertive reaction is to a post from a new member who only joined 3 months ago.

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

No, I mean let's stop regurgitating old cr*p about a futile ongoing argument which acheives nothing

Here I take personal exception as this ongoing argument has been pursued by two generations so far - that is to say by the likes of PW and myself, and by our fathers when they were in positions of influence on the Broads.  A third generation (our children) are now taking up the torch. There has always been strong resistance to this political threat to the unique nature of navigation in a place which cannot be compared to any other inland waterway in Europe.

Our success in this ongoing argument has, I suggest, been largely responsible for the continued status of navigation as an agreed priority, that all toll payers may still enjoy.

That includes you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My only comment will be that "..taking up the torch.." is a bit strong! You only do that if there is threat and that "threat" is no different now to what was perceived many years ago - it has still not materialised and when it does, please wake me from my slumber and I will help!!! I  am not the only one taking this view I suspect.

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

You only do that if there is threat and that "threat" is no different now to what was perceived many years ago - it has still not materialised and when it does, please wake me from my slumber and I will help!!

"Si vis pacem, para bellum".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, marshman said:

You only do that if there is threat and that "threat" is no different now to what was perceived many years ago - it has still not materialised

When Dr Packman ceases to pursue his personal, some might suggest vanity project, then doubtless it won't materialize & then we can all shut up. However, whilst he still insists on working towards his ambition, e.g. road-signs amongst other things,  then no, I for one won't be silenced, sadly for some.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You have shouted at us to shut up and  suggested that we consider new members who must be wondering what we are on about.  Funny that this assertive reaction is to a post from a new member who only joined 3 months ago.

And your point is??

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Here I take personal exception as this ongoing argument has been pursued by two generations so far - that is to say by the likes of PW and myself, and by our fathers when they were in positions of influence on the Broads.  A third generation (our children) are now taking up the torch. There has always been strong resistance to this political threat to the unique nature of navigation in a place which cannot be compared to any other inland waterway in Europe.

Our success in this ongoing argument has, I suggest, been largely responsible for the continued status of navigation as an agreed priority, that all toll payers may still enjoy.

That includes you.

Yes and I remind you that when it comes down to a vote, you and PW get just one vote each, as do I. 

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

When Dr Packman ceases to pursue his personal, some might suggest vanity project, then doubtless it won't materialize & then we can all shut up. However, whilst he still insists on working towards his ambition, e.g. road-signs amongst other things,  then no, I for one won't be silenced, sadly for some.

And there you go again taking a knife do Dr Packman. You could of course join the other forum and discuss all this in great detail with the man himself, but you would rather stay here.

And in another thread there was quite a derogatory slant towards the Blofeld family history. How would you feel if Dr Packman or Mr Blofeld started slagging off the memory of your father?

I think you should realise that your father's influences have now gone and you're not going to get it back by posting on this forum. The way you conduct yourselves is not inspiring a vast army of followers.

And please don't remind my about your secret army of Instawappfacetwit followers hiding in the bushes waiting for the word to strike!

3 minutes ago, floydraser said:

And in another thread there was quite a derogatory slant towards the Blofeld family history. How would you feel if Dr Packman or Mr Blofeld started slagging off the memory of your father?

I don't think I have been slagging off the Blofeld family (if you are referring to me) but I am prepared to post scans of several letters between Blakes, my father and the then Mr Blofeld, from 1962, which might alter your opinion on that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I don't think I have been slagging off the Blofeld family (if you are referring to me) but I am prepared to post scans of several letters between Blakes, my father and the then Mr Blofeld, from 1962, which might alter your opinion on that.

I hope your father and Mr Blofeld are somewhere having shaken hands; let's leave them resting in peace and not drag them into it. But you keep quoting history and the future is out of your hands.

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

But you keep quoting history and the future is out of your hands.

Actually the future is in your hands along with all other toll payers. You are enjoying what the foresight and persistence of my father's generation, has brought to the Broads.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, floydraser said:

You could of course join the other forum and discuss all this in great detail with the man himself, but you would rather stay here.

What forum would that be? I didn’t think Dr Packman got involved in social media anywhere these days. 

Ok ok, in a nutshell so I don’t have to read pages of arguments what is the objection to a national park?

i only day this as a toll payer and a long term holiday maker. 
My stance is I’ve been coming here since 1994, on and off and to be honest things feel stagnant and Indeed getting worse

Floydraiser, There was a ... well let's call it a "spat" between a significant number of people on the other forum. Many of us left, some burning bridges, some not. I get the feeling that this happened before you were active on broads forums. I mentioned this as it would perhaps answer why some of us don't post on the forum where the Dr. posts.

So, what was "between the lines"? Well, not a lot really!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Annv, The 

The conservation clause (known as the Sandford principle) is the very heart of the purpose of a National Park.

It was, and still is, the keystone. It is the understanding of the importance and relevance of this very important principle which would determine the present and future of The Broads. It is that very principle that is feared by all who hold dear to their hearts that which we have been entrusted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

You could of course join the other forum and discuss all this in great detail with the man himself, but you would rather stay here.

I was a keen member of that other forum for many years, however, myself and others left. This is neither the time nor the place to explain my/our reasons for that mass departure but just please accept that I have no great wish to return, even if it's to debate with JP.

As for Dr Packman, whilst we tend to disagree we have been on first name terms for many years and we have had many a discussion on a face to face basis. In the meantime he is quite capable of responding on this forum although I doubt that he will directly.

As for what I and others write on this forum I remain convinced that his diligent minions will pass on any relevant comments that are posted here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wussername said:

It was, and still is, the keystone. It is the understanding of the importance and relevance of this very important principle which would determine the present and future of The Broads. It is that very principle that is feared by all who hold dear to their hearts that which we have been entrusted.

Please forgive me Wussername but I would edit your post to read...

It was, and still is, the keystone. It is the understanding of the importance and relevance of this very important principle which would determine the present and future of The Broads. It is that very principle that is feared by all who are fighting against the broads becoming one.

I do this to make your post still say what you want but less contentiously 

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I was a keen member of that other forum for many years, however, myself and others left. This is neither the time nor the place to explain my/our reasons for that mass departure but just please accept that I have no great wish to return, even if it's to debate with JP.

But if this forum was formed on the basis of one particular issue, then we should all know what it is so that we may make informed choices about were we want to be. Or would you be scared of losing a lot of members?

I looked into both forums and guessed something had gone on. We're British; spats are what we are good at. Just about every village in England has two clubs/societies of the same ilk due to spats. Good old democracy for you: 52/48 wow let's form another country!

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

When Dr Packman ceases to pursue his personal, some might suggest vanity project, 

I just wish we could debate without having to stoop to this; I thought we were above it.

19 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Please forgive me Wussername but I would edit your post to read...

John, why do you make that request? Wussername's comment is entirely apt and wholly worthy of respect and support. 

The Broads is ours, your's and mine. It is ours to enjoy and for a number of us it is our chosen responsibility to protect what we hold so dearly. The Broads will be here after JP has departed. Should we wait until he has gone in order to protect and rebuild what for many of us is our birthright or should we voice our opinion now? As it is there is going to be a fair amount of undoing, e.g. the BNP dream. Granted that there is much that is worthy of building on, but the Sandford Principle and its ethos is not one of them.

• Like 3