Recommended Routes Wanted!

charlottefayelloyd

Good morning!

I need someone's opinion on which is the best route for our holiday. We are going for 7 days (Friday to Friday) and starting from Richardson's Marina in Stalham.

We are a group of family and friends and want to know which would be the best suited for us. The mother of the group has asked if we could have a scenic route as she loves looking at the natural beauty surrounding the broads (and also likes having a nosey at the amazing houses). Most of us don't mind which route we take but would like it if there were some pubs along the way:default_wink:.

Any recommended routes would be grateful as we've never been for 7 nights before!

Hi there and welcome to forum! If you are going for a week i would deffo consider going south. What dates are you going? I did a week out of Richardsons in Stalham with some Family including my Mum last year. I did a blog - it was a lot of cruising and picked up lots of nice places. I'll post the link.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Hi there and welcome to forum! If you are going for a week i would deffo consider going south. What dates are you going? I did a week out of Richardsons in Stalham with some Family including my Mum last year. I did a blog - it was a lot of cruising and picked up lots of nice places. I'll post the link.

We are going 20th April for 7 days. I shall definitely read your blog!

Welcome to the forum.Is it your first time on the broads?If so I would suggest you stick to the northern broads  for the first time.Neatishead is lovely. Be sure to visit the Whitehorse in the village,food and beer first class.You can look at the houses pin the way.Many of which run into the millions.Most if the broads are very pretty. Do tell us about your trip with some pics.

Best wishes Ian

• Like 1

If it's scenery you are going for , I would stay North. Especially if you are only going for a week. Not that  the South isn't scenic, it has its own beauty, it's just the cruise from around Acle to Reedham/ st Olaves is not the prettiest and takes around 5 hours . I don't tend to cross Breydon waters if I am only going for a week. 

Cruise to Wayford and if you can get under the bridge take the slow cruise up to Dilham which is a quaint little village with a good pub. 

Also if you can get under wroxham bridge go to Coltishall, a beautiful cruise with a few eateries close by.  And if by magic you can get under potter heigham bridge , then go see the quiet waters up there. 

There is also a walk along some country path to a pub at south Walsham broad if you fancy stretching your legs. 

This is just a few suggestions of many. I don't like having a strict plan to follow, just a few targets and if I get to most of them , all good!  Apart from that , take each day and the weather as it comes .

You are never too far from a pub and stunning scenery on the broads. Have a great time and let us know all about it !

We had 7 days last summer and did pretty much everything we wanted, apart from venturing west of Wroxham Bridge and we had to choose between Beccles and Norwich.

Night 1 Acle

Night 2 Oulton Broad*

Night 3 Rockland St Mary

Night 4 Norwich

Night 5 Thurne*

Night 6 Wroxham

Night 7 Stalham

*Not knowing when you're going makes the passage through Gt Yarmouth an unknown.

We had two days of longish cruising but was very manageable.

Ok,for my part it would be Stalham to Wayford bridge (if no mooring go under bridge and go to Dillam. ) Sat morning to Thurn Dyke for lunch on to Womack for the night.

Sunday, to Acle or Stokesby for lunch and to Stokesby or Acle for the night. Monday Ranworth for lunch, Salhouse for the night. Tuesday Wroxham for lunch then if you can get under Wroxham bridge, Coltishall for the night. if unable to get under Wroxham, back to Horning or Cockshoot dyke for the night. Wesnesday, Potter Heigham for lunch, and Ludham Bridge for the night. Thursday Neatishead for lunch, Sutton staithe for the night (or the other way round.)

Friday start crying as you take the boat back to Stalham.

That would be my route. but whatever you do, take it easy and have fun.

• Like 2

I'll reply here as this thread is lagging behind your other one :default_biggrin:

Route advice??? tricky, Ill say this though, to add to your confusion.

From experience, sometimes, in our rush to see everything, we miss what is right next to us and end up seeing nothing.

You have a good holiday and welcome.