Night Night

Betty1

I was wondering, hire boats can't travel after sunset but do any of the owners here travel on the broads after dark? What problems have you encountered? Where did you travel from and to.?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

From Reedham to Upton. The bit from Yarmouth was in the dark and we followed a Rico’s bathtub to Acle 

No problems as long as you keep the lights from the cabin off as it takes a while to get full night vision but a second to destroy it. 

Also done the 3 rivers race many times which sails through the night. 

As long as you are appropriately equipped, night navigation can be a magical experience. Even more so if you are lucky enough to have a clear night with a full moon. It seems so quiet and peaceful as to almost be a different world. As has been said, keep your lights off apart from nav lights and you will be surprised at how much you can actually still see.

• Like 1

I was wondering, hire boats can't travel after sunset but do any of the owners here travel on the broads after dark? What problems have you encountered? Where did you travel from and to.?

Yes, often onboard 'B.A'

None really other than fog - that's awkward in daylight even worse at night

Various points to and from.  The furthest one non stop being from Stalham to the breakwaters at GYA harbour mouth, departed the wet shed at 2300-ish, Arrived in Ipswich sometime the following afternoon.  I've done various sections of the Ant, Bure and Thurne many times.  Never crossed Breydon at night onboard 'B.A' although I have done so on a Brooms Admiral many years ago.

The longest night nav I have done onboard 'B.A' was from West India dock in London to Oulton Broad via Lowestoft.  We sailed at 1500 from W.I Dock and arrived at Lowestoft at 0700 the following morning.

Griff

• Like 3

I agree, we often travelled late in the dark planning to mud weight. The trouble is planning to mud weight indicates calm and calm often brings fog. In my experience the Thurne Mouth, bottom of Ant, up to just short of Horning is particularly prone to thick mists off the marshes. As opposed to a clear night with a full moon which is magical. The Ant can be very dark I would find between How Hill and Irstead.

• Like 1

Right !!! This is where I get a thorough slapping from all the 'Elf 'n' Safety' bods here.   :-)

I used to be moored near Wayford Bridge in my last boat. It was far from unusual for me to leave what was then called The Woodfarm Inn, well after time, stagger to my boat and cruise off  heading downstream.. No life jacket but I did have Port & Starboard lights and a spotlight. I would usually cruise to South Walsham broad and lie at mudweight there. That seemed a better option over trying to moor up single handed, in the dark.

There are some who say that you don't need a spot, but I can tell you flat... YES YOU DO. When there is little or no moonlight and you are cruising down a tree lined narrow river You cannot see where you are or where the banks are. Going through Barton (or Hickling) broad, you can't see the channel posts either.

• Like 1

I did not have a spot light but my method was canopy back, head above windscreen.

Too easy for screen to mist up and you not to notice on a night sail. And No Lights except for the nav lights.

• Like 1

My favourite time to cross Breydon is at first light, assuming of course the tides are right. As we avoid mooring at GY, it means leaving Stokesby or wherever in the dark and it is certainly a magical time. Quiet river and, with moonlight, very atmospheric. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Betty1 said:

I was wondering, hire boats can't travel after sunset but do any of the owners here travel on the broads after dark? What problems have you encountered? Where did you travel from and to?

We set off from Somerleyton last week at around 3am (i think it was) to cross Breyden in the pitch black and ended up at Horning Staithe after a trip up to Salhouse. 

No problems encountered other than the distant green Asda sign messing my eyes up looking for the posts :default_biggrin: