Spotted In Beccles

2 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The problem with that Grendel is like a cars MOT, the BSS only really proves a boat is safe for the time the inspector does his job on the day. No BSS inspector can garuntee a boat he inspected a few hours before is exactly the same now. There are people around who will borrow things for a cars MOT,  or a boats BSS, but as soon as the tester has issued the certificate and has departed, such items, maybe things like a fire extinguisher, or carbon monoxide sensor for example, have been removed and returned to the owner, it DOES go on.  I`ve even heard of people removing cookers etc for a BSS, then replacing them after. Dangerous and illegal we all know, but then people never think anything untoward is going to happen to them.

Firstly the BSS gives me some comfort that my boat has satisfied a qualified examiner on a specified number of safety checks, many of which I doubt I would check myself (If it failed I would actually be quite embarrassed).  

And secondly I am also comforted that "most" other boats have been equally checked.

There will always be people who will go to strange and quite frankly idiotic measures in putting a boat pass above their own and the safety of others. I can only hope that in the unfortunate case of an incident that the BSS examiner would be able to prove the falsification of the boat for test (photographic evidence/serial number of appliances etc) in which case the boat owner would become criminally liable.   

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

true, but we weren't talking about boat safety, we were discussing whether less good looking boats should be banned, and saying if it has a toll it has as much right as any other boat to be on the water.

Maybe the BA should have a Beautification Committee" , they could add or deduct up to 20% of the annual toll based on the "beautifulness" of the boat. 

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

Maybe the BA should have a Beautification Committee" , they could add or deduct up to 20% of the annual toll based on the "beautifulness" of the boat. 

I can see them adding the 20% but I dont think they would be deducting anything! 

• Like 2

Yes yes a beauty contest to decide the amount of the toll, and an owners beauty contest to determine if you can actually drive said tolled boat... Excellent, oh wait, hold on a minute..... err on second thoughts perhaps not... 

He he for the benefit of those with no SOH, that's satire.

M

• Like 1
  • Haha 1