Spotted In Beccles

6 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

And there are not eyesores that arnt boats but some ones home??????

So what, house, boat, whatever, it still does`nt change the fact it was an eyesore. If the BA want to be seen doing something USEFUL, then take these hideous looking monstrosities away and burn them. The broads are a beautiful place, i don`t like the fact we have to put up with seeing more and more crap like these littering the river banks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

So what, house, boat, whatever, it still does`nt change the fact it was an eyesore. If the BA want to be seen doing something USEFUL, then take these hideous looking monstrosities away and burn them. The broads are a beautiful place, i don`t like the fact we have to put up with seeing more and more crap like these littering the river banks.

Fortunately the right to navigate the Broads is open to all, subject to paying a toll. I can think of one yard in particular who's fleet would be decimated if eyesore boats were banned. Anyway, who would be the arbitrator of good and bad taste in boats? Heaven forbid it's not me!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can think of some pretty awful looking, eyesore boats on the Broads, brand spanking new some of 'em! 

I rather agree with that! Just because we can make fantastic curved shapes out of Fibreglass these days, doesn't mean we have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

almost as bad as only allowing pretty boats to moor at Thorpe?

if it floats its a boat, if its a boat it has to be tolled, of its tolled its fine. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, somebody loved it.

Would you agree to add  a safety and insurance  condition? 

if it floats its a boat, if its a boat it has to be tolled safe (BSS) and insured..................... 

8 minutes ago, grendel said:

I thought the latter two provisos were covered in the toll ie you have to have a BSS and you have to make a statement to the effect you are insured.

BA remind you about 4 or 5 weeks before the BSS is due, and you cant renew your toll without declaring that you have the relevant insurance in place.

Sorry to see ANY boat sunk , as has been mentioned previously, if toll ,insurance and bss were in place then they have just as much right to be on The Broads as any other boat .

IMHO the new offerings from Ferry at Horning are hideous to look at , but know to others they are modern and attractive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

I thought the latter two provisos were covered in the toll ie you have to have a BSS and you have to make a statement to the effect you are insured.

Agreed, but the insurance issue does rely on a certain degree of honesty when signing the toll application.

2 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Agreed, but the insurance issue does rely on a certain degree of honesty when signing the toll application.

Unless your one of the random samples the BA select occasionally to check the effectiveness of self declaration!!!

Cant say I was a fan of it but I wonder if the non standard type of construction might have had something to do with it shipping in to much rain water and leading to it sinking. 

If its insured wouldnt shifting it fall on the insurers rather than BA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

IMHO the new offerings from Ferry at Horning are hideous to look at , but know to others they are modern and attractive 

Agreed,  'Silent Emblem' being a prime example.  Would that it were 'Invisible' instead.

I wouldnt say its an unattractive design, if the environment didnt restrict new designs in the way it does im sure they could produce a shell thats far more atheistically pleasing but with whats to work with I think the broads boat builders are doing pretty well. 

9 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I wouldnt say its an unattractive design, if the environment didnt restrict new designs in the way it does im sure they could produce a shell thats far more atheistically pleasing but with whats to work with I think the broads boat builders are doing pretty well. 

Some are, some are not so successful!  Of one of the less atheistically pleasing designs I note this comment on the company's website:

Electric motor gives around 4 to 5 hours of quiet run time, before the efficient generator automatically cuts in to recharge the batteries.

To claim that that is eco-friendly is surely nothing short of laughable, but they do! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Sorry should have added "which I don;t agree to" as I think copies of the insurance certificate should be provided to BA as does my marina.

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Some are, some are not so successful!  Of one of the less atheistically pleasing designs I note this comment on the company's website:

Electric motor gives around 4 to 5 hours of quiet run time, before the efficient generator automatically cuts in to recharge the batteries.

To claim that that is eco-friendly is surely nothing short of laughable, but they do! 

We hired one of their “quiet generator” models years ago, what a racket it made! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, grendel said:

The problem with that Grendel is like a cars MOT, the BSS only really proves a boat is safe for the time the inspector does his job on the day. No BSS inspector can garuntee a boat he inspected a few hours before is exactly the same now. There are people around who will borrow things for a cars MOT,  or a boats BSS, but as soon as the tester has issued the certificate and has departed, such items, maybe things like a fire extinguisher, or carbon monoxide sensor for example, have been removed and returned to the owner, it DOES go on.  I`ve even heard of people removing cookers etc for a BSS, then replacing them after. Dangerous and illegal we all know, but then people never think anything untoward is going to happen to them.