Pyes Mill

daf4trucks

The 'Pyes Mill' moorings looked fine to me, when I was there a few weeks ago. I much prefer to be there, than beside the road at the staithe, much quieter and a more 'natural looking' mooring. It's a lovely little walk into Loddon along the lanes and through the churchyard too. Using rhond anchors, should nullify any problems with the odd missing mooring post... :default_smile:

The grass does need cutting at the moment but as it is now a BA 24 hour mooring it is looked after. Before the BA took it on, you could rely on private boats mooring there for the whole weekend. That doesn’t seem to happen now. As far as I have seen anyway. 

On 28/05/2018 at 20:35, JennyMorgan said:

Does the grass have to be cut? It's just a mooring, not a garden! 

No, of course not. The BA however do look after their 24 hour moorings and regularly cut the grass. Not like a bowling green, just short enough for people to see there’s nothing nasty in the grass as they get off their boats. It also makes it easier to find the mooring posts!

I can see the point of cutting perhaps a metre or so strip along the mooring and a 'pathway' up to Pyes Mill Road. But, maybe they like to leave the rest 'natural' to allow the wildflowers, insects and birds to do their thing, before mowing the rest of the meadow in the summer.

In my opinion when grass is left long in public spaces it can be used to conceal dog mess, it makes dog owners less likely to venture in themselves and pick it up.  Not an excuse but out of sight out of mind it will end up like dog doo city. 

Did you know there was once a ford at pyes mill as that was then the main route through the area, a local told me that!

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

In my opinion when grass is left long in public spaces it can be used to conceal dog mess, it makes dog owners less likely to venture in themselves and pick it up.  Not an excuse but out of sight out of mind it will end up like dog doo city. 

Did you know there was once a ford at pyes mill as that was then the main route through the area, a local told me that!

I see your point, but carry that to it's logical conclusion, all grassy areas, that dogs and their owners walk around, would need to be mowed continually throughout the year. In an environment, known for it's natural beauty, it can't be managed like an inner city park, nor would we want it to be... Most dog owners these days are pretty responsible, but you'll always get the odd few (particularly if it's nowhere near where they live).

I'm pretty sure the 'ford' was more likely to have been a cattle 'swim' there were lots of these around the broadland rivers (Runham swim, Mautby swim etc.), they allowed access to the grazing marshes on the opposite side.