River Wensum

Cal

Having only ever been up to Norwich on the hire boats we plan to remedy that this year and take Naughty-Cal up there.

We are interested in seeing the short section of river Wensum beyond the limit of navigation for hire craft.

So my question is I suppose is firstly is it a good idea?

What sort of water depth can we expect?

Air draft we don't think will be a problem as we can drop down to 6'6"

Is there anywhere to moor beyond the yacht station?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Cal Yes there are moorings at quay side and out side pub on the bridge (can't remember the name) there is the old mooring that the trip boat used ,there's good depth until just before the new mills,i turn at the trip boat mooring it's wire there. John

• Like 1

Go for it.  We have taken 'B.A' up there a few times now.  we are stitched on to do so next week as it happens. Staying overnight alongside 'The Ribs of Beef' and going to the flix the same evening to see 'Spitfire'   Details and photo's of our last visit to New Mills Pond on the 'B.A' Underway on the H20 thread

Griff

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Go for it.  We have taken 'B.A' up there a few times now.  we are stitched on to do so next week as it happens. Staying overnight alongside 'The Ribs of Beef' and going to the flix the same evening to see 'Spitfire'   Details and photo's of our last visit to New Mills Pond on the 'B.A' Underway on the H20 thread

Griff

Good stuff Griff,

as an informative post for me when I visit in August can you let me know the river depth and level of shopping trollies please :default_biggrin:

I have taken 'B.A' up to New Mills Pond both at low water and high water.  we draw 2ft 6" and had plenty of depth on each occasion apart from the pond during the low water transit.  No sight of the lesser spotted shopping trolley on any visit.  I will endeavour to keep an eye out on depth etc next week, but remind me as nowadays I forget what did ten minutes ago let alone a week or more ago

Griff

I wish I had of gone beyond the yacht station with my original boat which had an air draft of 6 foot 6, the new boat is 7 foot 6 So may be a problem, and I never realised there were Moorings up there I thought you just went up turn round and came back.

We all went up to New Mills last August. Here we are moored at the Ribs of Beef at Fye Bridge. Lady Christina the outer of the three even went through the bridges with the fly screens up.

DSCN7496 - Copy (1).JPG

Thanks for all of the informative responses guys. Looks like we will certainly be heading up the Wensum.

We probably won't stay on the pub mooring overnight as we will most likely be getting a takeaway from the indian up the road so will probably moor on the quayside opposite. Will certainly visit the pub though.

1 hour ago, eddybear said:

I wish I had of gone beyond the yacht station with my original boat which had an air draft of 6 foot 6, the new boat is 7 foot 6 So may be a problem, and I never realised there were Moorings up there I thought you just went up turn round and came back.

We used to take our Birchwood 22 up there, from memory she was 7ft 10