Short Late November Break.

trambo

Spent a short break last week on Silver Cloud after no one wanted the full week.

Weather was very mixed and spent the time basically cruising down to Stokesby and up to Sutton with small diversions to Ranworth and Thurne.

Rivers quiet but Herbert Woods had a fair few boats out.

Fred

Herbert Woods. Out of season hire.Ludham Bridge Boatyard. 'Big Tow' Malthouse Broad Ranworth.Herbert Woods. Out of season hire.Goosander. River Bure.Moley, River Bure. Norfolk Broads.

• Like 11

Buttons how are you enjoying Goosander? It's interesting that there aren't more forward steer cruisers as syndicate boats.

We spotted ourselves on someone's video once. I watch a lot of people's YouTube videos of the Broads, especially if they ever coincide with when we were there ... then I watch them that little bit more carefully! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Indeed Jean, I've often wondered. 

Some time ago, there was a discussion on how many syndicate boats on the Broads, where i posted there are not enough smaller syndicate boats for 2 or 4 people, and not more fwd dv ones either. My own personal opinion is there should be at least another three of each being three 2 berth and three 4 berth, as not everybody is interested in the extra size and length of the more common 6+ berth ones that are available. A number of people told me when we`ve been on Lightning that they are interested in a syndicate boat, but are concerned about the sheer size of the larger boats.

• Like 3

Hi All

Goosander is just right for us as a couple. Not sure we're up to anything bigger just yet. We're quite new to the world of syndicate boating. Last week was only our second week. One in August which was boiling hot and this one when I slept in my socks every night except one when they came off and it was too cold to get out from under the duvet to find them. We enjoyed every minute despite the inclement weather conditions. We're looking forward to our next week....another cold one I expect towards the end of January.

• Like 3

Just to cheer you up, the Broads this time of year are generally warmer than after Christmas!

In the late autumn we benefit from the warmer sea almost surrounding us and that helps the land temperatures a bit - after Christmas as the sea temperature begins to fall away this benefit tends to  lost - this can also have an impact early in spring but the other way round.

Although the Spring is always something to look forward to, here in Norfolk,especially if the easterlies set in, it can often be a trifle nippy!

• Like 3

We live a few yards from the beach. It's not feeling very warm here today. I'm sitting in the conservatory listening to the waves crash on the beach toasty inside, cold and damp outside. lucky so and sos aren't we? Best of both worlds the beach right here and the beautiful broads only a few minutes away. Believe me we do realise how privileged we are.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Buttons said:

Hi, That's us on Goosander. Saw you snapping us. Hope you enjoyed your break as much as we did. Lovely picture. Do you mind if we print it?

Hi Buttons, help yourself. There is another image as you passed on the flickr page. We spoke at Ranworth after you helped me moor if you remember?

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Some time ago, there was a discussion on how many syndicate boats on the Broads, where i posted there are not enough smaller syndicate boats for 2 or 4 people, and not more fwd dv ones either. My own personal opinion is there should be at least another three of each being three 2 berth and three 4 berth, as not everybody is interested in the extra size and length of the more common 6+ berth ones that are available. A number of people told me when we`ve been on Lightning that they are interested in a syndicate boat, but are concerned about the sheer size of the larger boats.

I remember speaking to the rather infamous late Ed Rimmer about Goosander  which was the last (Broads) boat from the ill fated Challenger Syndicate operation and he thought the larger boats sold better. I know at the time the cost of a share on Goosander was higher than any of the other boats Challenger managed and he was pushing hard to get a sale. Silver Cloud still has a Challenger Syndicates brass name plate which I always Brasso to life when I'm on board!

Fred

MM is certainly right about the weather. We've been out every December for many years now and its virtually always been quite mild for the time of year. It was quite cold in 2010 (when it snowed too) but still very pleasant. It is certainly colder in February but still brilliant to be out. I just wish we could have been out longer in the snow this year, it was magical!

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

MM is certainly right about the weather. We've been out every December for many years now and its virtually always been quite mild for the time of year. It was quite cold in 2010 (when it snowed too) but still very pleasant. It is certainly colder in February but still brilliant to be out. I just wish we could have been out longer in the snow this year, it was magical!

Hi Howard,

Lightning does`nt go out very often in winter, so if you bought a share in her, you could use her for many weeks, and all free, as other owners can use unused weeks with only having to pay for the weekly handover by Brooms.

• Like 1

Certainly tempting Neil but it would be sods law that someone would draw time in December and refuse to swap (which they would be perfectly entitled to do of course). We need to book train tickets well in advance too and Mrs Nog's holidays are quite limited so we don't have a lot of flexibility, particularly at short notice.

I'm not dismissing the idea by any means and we will keep weighing up the options.

Of course a lottery win would be the best idea............:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Certainly tempting Neil but it would be sods law that someone would draw time in December and refuse to swap (which they would be perfectly entitled to do of course). We need to book train tickets well in advance too and Mrs Nog's holidays are quite limited so we don't have a lot of flexibility, particularly at short notice.

I'm not dismissing the idea by any means and we will keep weighing up the options.

Of course a lottery win would be the best idea............:default_biggrin:

Hi Howard,

if any time you see Lightning out on the water, please feel free to ask to have a look aboard and ask some questions, i`m sure other syndicate members will be happy to show you around, but you never know, it might be me, but unlikely in December, January, or February. This year, Lightning will be getting very little use this month, and it`s been like that more often than not. Also, she always comes out of the water in early January for her annual overhaul and spruce up, and i believe does`nt get used a lot in January anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1