Discount

Graham47

We  have a boat booked with Richardsons for September but it is still shown as available on their site.

I checked this with them and the reason I was given was that there are three boats in that class and not all of them are booked for the date we have booked so another boat of the same class is still available.

Jeff

We're in the lucky position of being able to choose when we go on a broads holiday, at very short notice. We love to spend the long days of early summer outside, as much as possible. So, when the weather forecast looks good, anytime in May or early June, I'll go online and see what boats are available. I think a lot of retired people do similar, when booking their holidays, or at least the ones I know, certainly do. I understand, that if you want a specific boat on a specific date, it might be wise to book early, but for us, the weather is more important than which boat we hire. 

Then of course, bookings will I think be slower this year, as a lot of people are in 'wait and see' mode. What happens regarding 'brexit' is going to effect some peoples decisions. They may feel that their job or income could be effected, or just the uncertainty of what will happen, is playing on their mind.

I think some boatyards have recognised that it could be a tough year, and are putting plans into action, to try and boost their early season bookings with discounts and other inducements.

On 14/02/2019 at 17:39, Heron said:

Herbert Woods have 14 boats available in March with 40% off the original  price. Are bookings down?

I think as others have said, the whole Brexit uncertainty is weighing on people's minds - perhaps distracting them. I have a rough and ready method of comparing how many boats remain available compared to last year over Easter, Spring Bank, the school holidays and October half term. Twice a month I monitor how many boats are still available. The latest set of set of figures indicate that bookings are down 10% on last year at this time but that the rate of booking has slowed by half in the last 2 weeks. 

I don,t have any previous data on Ferry Marina bookings but I have to say that looking a available dates for their cruisers this year I am not surprised that they are offering discounts during March / April. Unfortunately I booked this year’s holiday with them last year and do not qualify for the discount. I have the only booking on the boat in April (At Easter). In hindsight it is probably best to keep your eyes on the bookings and not to book to far in front, as long as you have an amount of flexibility available.