Southern Adventure

snunn

Southern Adventure

Day 1 Saturday 22 September 2019

Late in posting life got in the way !

After and easy drive up from Essex imagine our surprise to find the road closed at Wroxham first stop for breakfast Roy’s and of course the all important  fishing tackle shop a detour around some very country lanes we arrive back in Wroxham via Coltishall 35 mins later than planned.

Parked and off to the Wherry cafe for breakfast lovely view of the bridge especially when a HW craft decided to go through without a pilot and got stuck it took them a few tries to squeeze themselves back out and through all of this I did not think to take a photo ! After a rather nice breakfast I headed to Roy’s for a few fresh bits and fishing tackle shop for himself onwards to Horning where we visited the lovely butchers now all stocked up it was on to Brundall and broom captain 8 that awaited us.

We had told the yard we would arrive at 12 noon but we were running late and arrived about 12:30 the boat was ready for us and moored at the bottom of the basin so we parked up right behind and loaded up shortly after a chap came onboard for our induction / instruction asked if we had previously boated which we have several times always on the northern broads he went over the finer points of the captain that we needed to know and was happy to let us go so onto the river we headed about 1:20 with no real plan in place we turned left out of the yard and set off towards Reedham we got used to how she was handling and took a lovely slow cruise for about an hour before turning around and heading for Bramerton common as our first night mooring ,the weather was warm but overcast only passed 3 other boats all heading upstream to Norwich and a couple of yachts tacking so different from the same week last year on the northern rivers. At Bramerton there were about 4 spaces left so we quietly and slowly did our first mooring, him on the helm me on the ropes all secure time to finish the unpacking sat out on the rear deck until it became a little chilly then inside with great view out of the saloon windows saw a rush of kingfishers all diving into the bushes opposite and a beautiful marsh harrier came right up the centre of the river right passed us.Time for supper a busy day and we were feeling the Norfolk broads sleep-sickness we found the front Island bed a little small and my husband has decided he will use the saloon to sleep giving us both a bit more room.

Day 2

After a good nights sleep we are up it was just about 7 and the forecast has changed for the better the thunderstorms and high winds are no more however it was pouring with rain and is set in until late afternoon with this in mind we decide a slow start today is in order and then a leisurely cruise and a mooring with a pub for Sunday lunch, after  a lazy start we finally headed off about 10:30 it was raining quite hard and visibility was not the greatest the wiper on the drivers side only did a third of a sweep, cruised  south again toward Reedham for about an hour until the rain became really heavy turned around and slowly made are way back having decided we would try Coldham Hall for lunch did not pass hardly any other vessels in the time we were out. Got moored ok and I went in and booked us a table for 2 o’clock it was very busy back on board and we both showered and charged our various appliances then went into the pub for a pre lunch snifter ,well we are on holiday both ordered the rare roast beef it came with a huge amount of veg I counted 8 different plus a Yorkshire pudding far to much for me but himself managed it all , back on the boat and soon after about 4 it stopped raining and brightened up really quickly so a fishing opportunity could not be missed apparently and rewarded with the largest perch he has ever caught he was very pleased I sat in the sun on the rear deck and enjoyed the river and my book until it suddenly rained again quite heavy so we both went back inside and it finally stopped about 7 when the moon came up and shone upon the river very atmospheric, still both full from the late lunch just a light bite and a glass of vino whilst we settled down sleep soon invaded again and we got ready to turn in , there is promise of sunshine tomorrow fingers crossed.

Day 3

After a great nights sleep unusual for me we awoke to a very chilly morning heating on quick this was very efficient although for us another outlet in the main saloon as opposed to the front cabin would have been better, decided to have a cooked breakfast today and with only 1very  small frying pan it was a case of cook and keep warm in the oven until it was all ready sausages and bacon from the butchers in Horning were super. Breakfast done and cleared away the sun was now shining and showing signs of warming up, after the usual ablutions plenty of hot water available it was decided to head to Loddon today a place neither of us had ever been so cast off around 9:30 we were on our way. Nothing much on the river going south a few heading north I will say the reverse front seat on the captain gives the navigator a wonderful view, after about an hour first one then another boat came storming up behind us we were just poodling along they overtook us a disappeared into the distance, nothing much happened along the Yare we were just enjoying ourselves sharing the helm and watching marsh harriers kestrels, cormorants and herons along the way.

Turned at the Chet mouth so narrow after the Yare and even the Ant slowly along and after the first 3 or 4 bends we see a couple of boats heading our way slow right down breath in pass without incident a few bends further on another boat storming towards us centre river going way too fast we pulled into the reeds almost stopped and he flew past no wave no acknowledgment no thanks, Pyes mill moorings only had 2 boats but we carried on up to the Staithe  where there were at least 4 spaces moored nice and simply plugged into electric post which kindly had 47pence still on once settled I hopped of and went for a walk around the village and bought a couple more electric cards and some delicious Portuguese custard tarts from the coop bakery.

Back on board the afternoon was spent sitting on the front seat on the captains bow whilst I read / watched / chatted the afternoon away and himself enjoyed his fishing although I have to say the cormorants were catching more than either my husband or the guy on the boat moored next to us.

After recommendation from the forum members posts we ordered a curry from the raj duly delivered right to the back of the boat and also delicious, settled down for a coupe of hours reading and a little tv then bed tomorrow’s adventure to be decided.

Day 4

Awoke to a very vey cold morning ice on the boat roof and a mist on the water truly beautiful heating on and a hot drink before breakfast , showers and tidying up done we filled up with water I popped to the coop for a couple of forgotten bits back to the boat an off, first destination after a very pleasant cruise back up the Chet passing only one boat was short dyke safely moored we had some lunch the weather now glorious t shirt and shorts weather after lunch set off and cruised onto the broad thought of going to the Staithe but had found Loddon a little noisy with some light pollution so thought we would find somewhere a little quieter, back on the Yare slow cruise up passed Brundall and thought we would try the church fen mooring however this was full so moving on at postwick Staithe there was only one boat a privateer however he was moored dead centre and with his dinghy left no room for our 35 foot craft,onward again and to Bramerton where there were several spaces as it was mid afternoon already where do these days go we took the mooring just up from where we had stayed a few nights earlier, all safely tied up out came the rods and the book I decided to go for a walk around up to the pub and down the lane just to have a look back on the boat the early evening sun gave us a beautiful sky and the wildlife flew in abundance, eating onboard tonight left over Curry  lovely.

Watched a little tv turned in read a while and although not as cold as the night before I had a really bad night woke at 1:45 and could not get back to sleep tossed for a while then heard himself put the kettle on so I gave in and got up I think it was about 5, 

Day 5

After a slow start as I felt very tired we decided to had a quiet day so once breakfast was done and cleaned up we sat and read and fished nothing much caught we had an enjoyable couple of hours on the river , decided we would like a pub mooring to eat out tonight and had heard again from the forum good things about the Surlingham ferry Inn decided after a little cruise this would be our destination, however once we got there and tried to moor we discovered it was really windy must have been sheltered at Bramerton we did moor up but it was too windy to sit out in for me and even fishing was not happening , we made a call and decided to leave and head of to find somewhere a bit more sheltered back passed Brundall and passed Coldham Hall we could see quite a few people sitting out there enjoying the sun so we did an about turn and moored up , went in to pub for a couple of beers and booked a table for dinner later , by the time I got back to the boat the fishing had started, I got my fold chair out and sat on the grass in the sunshine happily reading and watching the world go by and chatting to other boaters, one who came into moor single handed it seemed on a large private boat he had just purchased and moved up from Essex , where in Essex we said Canvey Island he said where we are from small world, lovely day today sun out and really warm packed up fishing nothing much caught showers had and we went to the pub sat out in the garden in the late sunshine until time for dinner which I have to say neither of us enjoyed we both had the fish and chips again for me far to large a portion although the waiter on removing my plate seem to think that’s a good thing but not only was it too much it was not very nice over cooked fish batter almost burnt and some raw chips tinned garden peas mixed with some mayo not for us, back on the boat feeling tired so head off for and early night.

Day 6

A great nights sleep awake refreshed and happy beautiful morning promises to be even warmer than yesterday , decide we will head to Rockland Staithe today and if we can moor we will have lunch in the pub the new Inn, breakfast showers all done we set of about 9:30 we have been quite late getting going this week for us we normally up and going much earlier lovely cruise down the Yare it was so still and peaceful hardly passed another vessel passed the fleet dyke entrance carried on passed short dyke and on toward the Beauchamp arms where we turned around headed back up to Rockland  via fleet dyke never been to Staithe before and was surprised how short the dyke is from the broad itself the end mooring looking back up the dyke was free so we stern moored there leaving a space between ourselves and the private boat in the corner , plugged into the electric post which had an amazing £1.22 on it thanks very much , fishing gear out already on bow of boat I jumped off and headed out for a walk it was a beautiful day so warm for late September, I walked to the bird hide and then on to the end of short dyke spoke to a couple moored there and just enjoyed the peace sat at the seat overlooking the broad and wow how wonderful wildlife sunshine peace.

Back to the boat we headed over the road to the pub sat in the garden and although by the road it is quite quiet had a couple of drinks then ordered lunch again both chose the same the calamari special did it come with chips or salad I asked as was not clear on board both was the the answer on the main course one or other on the starter we both had main course size it was delicious squid lovely spicy but not too much hubby thought portion a tad small on the squid I thought just right for me salad was delightful a real mix of different lettuce toms cucumber carrot onions with a nice dressing portion of chips and a chilli sauce on the side when asked if all ok we were offered more chilli sauce all in all it was great and at £11 we thought value too , one we would like to return too.

Back onboard more fishing I sat / laid on the back sofa but it was scorching so I moved up top on front now seat and watched him fishing a few small roach and perch but nothing of any size although a passing guy said to fish in front of the sluice gate for big bream we did not see any !!!

Stayed outside until after sunset the road behind completely quite it was truly a wonderful day light supper of ham salad as still both full from lunch glass of wine on back of boat and to bed .

Day 7

During yesterday we had thought what to do on our last night and had phoned the waters edge at Bramerton for a table and a mooring , with that in mind we were in no hurry this morning the weather was overcast and a little cool quite early several guys arrived and set themselves up fishing I think they were after pike , saw them catch about 4 or 5 within a few mins , himself did not bother to fish again here and after breakfast we slowly headed off a turn around the broad out via short dyke turn right cruise along slowly after about an hour of quiet meandering we turned around and headed back towards Bramerton, again  not much river traffic in fact most of the way we were centre river slowly going along the boat handled beautifully stayed dead straight with little or no adjusting will not want to give her back pass Brundall pick out lottery win boats saw half a dozen kingfishers all together at what I  now have  named kingfisher corner just after last house boat at Brundall, continued up passed Surlingham on passed Bramerton and continued up river as far as postwick viaduct turned around and moored back at Bramerton as mooring at pub was from 4:30 fishing gear came out and I did the packing and cleaning which did not take very long after quite a few boating holidays I have finally learnt to leave the kitchen sink behind , showers had and then we moved up to our allotted space out side the pub young guy came out to assist and very soon after 3 other boats all came to moor up table was booked for 7 so a quite hour or so before heading in for a pre dinner snifter.

The meal was lovely we had starters and main course my husband again thought portion size a little small but for me it was perfect I had mushroom pots to start followed by chicken supreme this was small with dauphinois potatoes huge spinach and mushroom sauce lovely Mick had pigeon breast salad very small followed by calves liver and bacon on bubble mash only 2 small slices of liver but all very tasty washed down with a lovely crisp white not cheap at £90 but very enjoyable would definitely return. So back on the boat last few bits to tidy in the morning planing to leave about 7:30 to be early back in brooms read for a while before heading to bed for our final night sleep onboard.

Day 8 the Return

Would you believe it there was thick fog this morning cannot possibly sail in this will have to keep the boat , honestly it was really thick , had a coffee and tea packed away last bits and waited as the sun rose the visibility improved slightly and himself decided to make a move a very large private boat was moored right in front of us and very close too but with the bow thruster and skill out we popped and set off the only real worry was that Mick had watched 4 sets of rowers and their coaching boat  go downstream before we set off very aware having seen them from Bramerton that they would soon have turned around and be heading our way in the fog we took it very slowly both on the look out for them all going well until a broom skipper came flying up behind us to undercut us on a bend we pulled over and let them steam ahead sun was trying to break through but it was still very foggy, made it safely back to brooms but had a bit of trouble mooring being directed by 2 different guys as to where to put her finally secure we are pumped out topped up and a fuel deposit refund of over £65 was returned which almost paid for that nice meal last night  boat moved down little dyke to spot where we had loaded her from so car was still there unloaded packed up and disposed of the final rubbish into hand over the keys and collect car key we have a spare so we can pack the car and we were free to head home how fast the roads seem after a week afloat.

In conclusion 

We loved the southern rivers although on this trip did not venture far it was a learning curve about where to go tided moorings etc we loved everything about the boat apart for us the sleeping arrangements we have lately hired Barnes concerto and both used separate cabin I sleep badly and we like a lot more room than boat beds supply , the steering ,living area inside and out were superb for us I guess in the heat of last summer driving in the inside with no sun roof opening would have been very hot but in late September sunshine it was perfect , would we visit southern broads again oh yes would we hire from brooms yes definitely great service hand over boat ready at 12 even though we weren’t.

Would not eat at Coldham Hall again but would definitely return to the New Inn and Waters Edge.

This year we have hired  Silent Emblem from ferry marine a first with this yard for us that’s for the first week in September and feeling that was a long time to wait we have just also hired Aqua Emblem from them for the last week of June and were given a 5% discount on second hire this year.

I hope if you have made it this far you are not bored senseless I will endeavour if I do one to make any further tales a little more interesting.

Susan

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, snunn said:

Southern Adventure

Day 1 Saturday 22 September 2019

Late in posting life got in the way !

After and easy drive up from Essex imagine our surprise to find the road closed at Wroxham first stop for breakfast Roy’s and of course the all important  fishing tackle shop a detour around some very country lanes we arrive back in Wroxham via Coltishall 35 mins later than planned.

Parked and off to the Wherry cafe for breakfast lovely view of the bridge especially when a HW craft decided to go through without a pilot and got stuck it took them a few tries to squeeze themselves back out and through all of this I did not think to take a photo ! After a rather nice breakfast I headed to Roy’s for a few fresh bits and fishing tackle shop for himself onwards to Horning where we visited the lovely butchers now all stocked up it was on to Brundall and broom captain 8 that awaited us.

We had told the yard we would arrive at 12 noon but we were running late and arrived about 12:30 the boat was ready for us and moored at the bottom of the basin so we parked up right behind and loaded up shortly after a chap came onboard for our induction / instruction asked if we had previously boated which we have several times always on the northern broads he went over the finer points of the captain that we needed to know and was happy to let us go so onto the river we headed about 1:20 with no real plan in place we turned left out of the yard and set off towards Reedham we got used to how she was handling and took a lovely slow cruise for about an hour before turning around and heading for Bramerton common as our first night mooring ,the weather was warm but overcast only passed 3 other boats all heading upstream to Norwich and a couple of yachts tacking so different from the same week last year on the northern rivers. At Bramerton there were about 4 spaces left so we quietly and slowly did our first mooring, him on the helm me on the ropes all secure time to finish the unpacking sat out on the rear deck until it became a little chilly then inside with great view out of the saloon windows saw a rush of kingfishers all diving into the bushes opposite and a beautiful marsh harrier came right up the centre of the river right passed us.Time for supper a busy day and we were feeling the Norfolk broads sleep-sickness we found the front Island bed a little small and my husband has decided he will use the saloon to sleep giving us both a bit more room.

Day 2

After a good nights sleep we are up it was just about 7 and the forecast has changed for the better the thunderstorms and high winds are no more however it was pouring with rain and is set in until late afternoon with this in mind we decide a slow start today is in order and then a leisurely cruise and a mooring with a pub for Sunday lunch, after  a lazy start we finally headed off about 10:30 it was raining quite hard and visibility was not the greatest the wiper on the drivers side only did a third of a sweep, cruised  south again toward Reedham for about an hour until the rain became really heavy turned around and slowly made are way back having decided we would try Coldham Hall for lunch did not pass hardly any other vessels in the time we were out. Got moored ok and I went in and booked us a table for 2 o’clock it was very busy back on board and we both showered and charged our various appliances then went into the pub for a pre lunch snifter ,well we are on holiday both ordered the rare roast beef it came with a huge amount of veg I counted 8 different plus a Yorkshire pudding far to much for me but himself managed it all , back on the boat and soon after about 4 it stopped raining and brightened up really quickly so a fishing opportunity could not be missed apparently and rewarded with the largest perch he has ever caught he was very pleased I sat in the sun on the rear deck and enjoyed the river and my book until it suddenly rained again quite heavy so we both went back inside and it finally stopped about 7 when the moon came up and shone upon the river very atmospheric, still both full from the late lunch just a light bite and a glass of vino whilst we settled down sleep soon invaded again and we got ready to turn in , there is promise of sunshine tomorrow fingers crossed.

Day 3

After a great nights sleep unusual for me we awoke to a very chilly morning heating on quick this was very efficient although for us another outlet in the main saloon as opposed to the front cabin would have been better, decided to have a cooked breakfast today and with only 1very  small frying pan it was a case of cook and keep warm in the oven until it was all ready sausages and bacon from the butchers in Horning were super. Breakfast done and cleared away the sun was now shining and showing signs of warming up, after the usual ablutions plenty of hot water available it was decided to head to Loddon today a place neither of us had ever been so cast off around 9:30 we were on our way. Nothing much on the river going south a few heading north I will say the reverse front seat on the captain gives the navigator a wonderful view, after about an hour first one then another boat came storming up behind us we were just poodling along they overtook us a disappeared into the distance, nothing much happened along the Yare we were just enjoying ourselves sharing the helm and watching marsh harriers kestrels, cormorants and herons along the way.

Turned at the Chet mouth so narrow after the Yare and even the Ant slowly along and after the first 3 or 4 bends we see a couple of boats heading our way slow right down breath in pass without incident a few bends further on another boat storming towards us centre river going way too fast we pulled into the reeds almost stopped and he flew past no wave no acknowledgment no thanks, Pyes mill moorings only had 2 boats but we carried on up to the Staithe  where there were at least 4 spaces moored nice and simply plugged into electric post which kindly had 47pence still on once settled I hopped of and went for a walk around the village and bought a couple more electric cards and some delicious Portuguese custard tarts from the coop bakery.

Back on board the afternoon was spent sitting on the front seat on the captains bow whilst I read / watched / chatted the afternoon away and himself enjoyed his fishing although I have to say the cormorants were catching more than either my husband or the guy on the boat moored next to us.

After recommendation from the forum members posts we ordered a curry from the raj duly delivered right to the back of the boat and also delicious, settled down for a coupe of hours reading and a little tv then bed tomorrow’s adventure to be decided.

Day 4

Awoke to a very vey cold morning ice on the boat roof and a mist on the water truly beautiful heating on and a hot drink before breakfast , showers and tidying up done we filled up with water I popped to the coop for a couple of forgotten bits back to the boat an off, first destination after a very pleasant cruise back up the Chet passing only one boat was short dyke safely moored we had some lunch the weather now glorious t shirt and shorts weather after lunch set off and cruised onto the broad thought of going to the Staithe but had found Loddon a little noisy with some light pollution so thought we would find somewhere a little quieter, back on the Yare slow cruise up passed Brundall and thought we would try the church fen mooring however this was full so moving on at postwick Staithe there was only one boat a privateer however he was moored dead centre and with his dinghy left no room for our 35 foot craft,onward again and to Bramerton where there were several spaces as it was mid afternoon already where do these days go we took the mooring just up from where we had stayed a few nights earlier, all safely tied up out came the rods and the book I decided to go for a walk around up to the pub and down the lane just to have a look back on the boat the early evening sun gave us a beautiful sky and the wildlife flew in abundance, eating onboard tonight left over Curry  lovely.

Watched a little tv turned in read a while and although not as cold as the night before I had a really bad night woke at 1:45 and could not get back to sleep tossed for a while then heard himself put the kettle on so I gave in and got up I think it was about 5, 

Day 5

After a slow start as I felt very tired we decided to had a quiet day so once breakfast was done and cleaned up we sat and read and fished nothing much caught we had an enjoyable couple of hours on the river , decided we would like a pub mooring to eat out tonight and had heard again from the forum good things about the Surlingham ferry Inn decided after a little cruise this would be our destination, however once we got there and tried to moor we discovered it was really windy must have been sheltered at Bramerton we did moor up but it was too windy to sit out in for me and even fishing was not happening , we made a call and decided to leave and head of to find somewhere a bit more sheltered back passed Brundall and passed Coldham Hall we could see quite a few people sitting out there enjoying the sun so we did an about turn and moored up , went in to pub for a couple of beers and booked a table for dinner later , by the time I got back to the boat the fishing had started, I got my fold chair out and sat on the grass in the sunshine happily reading and watching the world go by and chatting to other boaters, one who came into moor single handed it seemed on a large private boat he had just purchased and moved up from Essex , where in Essex we said Canvey Island he said where we are from small world, lovely day today sun out and really warm packed up fishing nothing much caught showers had and we went to the pub sat out in the garden in the late sunshine until time for dinner which I have to say neither of us enjoyed we both had the fish and chips again for me far to large a portion although the waiter on removing my plate seem to think that’s a good thing but not only was it too much it was not very nice over cooked fish batter almost burnt and some raw chips tinned garden peas mixed with some mayo not for us, back on the boat feeling tired so head off for and early night.

Day 6

A great nights sleep awake refreshed and happy beautiful morning promises to be even warmer than yesterday , decide we will head to Rockland Staithe today and if we can moor we will have lunch in the pub the new Inn, breakfast showers all done we set of about 9:30 we have been quite late getting going this week for us we normally up and going much earlier lovely cruise down the Yare it was so still and peaceful hardly passed another vessel passed the fleet dyke entrance carried on passed short dyke and on toward the Beauchamp arms where we turned around headed back up to Rockland  via fleet dyke never been to Staithe before and was surprised how short the dyke is from the broad itself the end mooring looking back up the dyke was free so we stern moored there leaving a space between ourselves and the private boat in the corner , plugged into the electric post which had an amazing £1.22 on it thanks very much , fishing gear out already on bow of boat I jumped off and headed out for a walk it was a beautiful day so warm for late September, I walked to the bird hide and then on to the end of short dyke spoke to a couple moored there and just enjoyed the peace sat at the seat overlooking the broad and wow how wonderful wildlife sunshine peace.

Back to the boat we headed over the road to the pub sat in the garden and although by the road it is quite quiet had a couple of drinks then ordered lunch again both chose the same the calamari special did it come with chips or salad I asked as was not clear on board both was the the answer on the main course one or other on the starter we both had main course size it was delicious squid lovely spicy but not too much hubby thought portion a tad small on the squid I thought just right for me salad was delightful a real mix of different lettuce toms cucumber carrot onions with a nice dressing portion of chips and a chilli sauce on the side when asked if all ok we were offered more chilli sauce all in all it was great and at £11 we thought value too , one we would like to return too.

Back onboard more fishing I sat / laid on the back sofa but it was scorching so I moved up top on front now seat and watched him fishing a few small roach and perch but nothing of any size although a passing guy said to fish in front of the sluice gate for big bream we did not see any !!!

Stayed outside until after sunset the road behind completely quite it was truly a wonderful day light supper of ham salad as still both full from lunch glass of wine on back of boat and to bed .

Day 7

During yesterday we had thought what to do on our last night and had phoned the waters edge at Bramerton for a table and a mooring , with that in mind we were in no hurry this morning the weather was overcast and a little cool quite early several guys arrived and set themselves up fishing I think they were after pike , saw them catch about 4 or 5 within a few mins , himself did not bother to fish again here and after breakfast we slowly headed off a turn around the broad out via short dyke turn right cruise along slowly after about an hour of quiet meandering we turned around and headed back towards Bramerton, again  not much river traffic in fact most of the way we were centre river slowly going along the boat handled beautifully stayed dead straight with little or no adjusting will not want to give her back pass Brundall pick out lottery win boats saw half a dozen kingfishers all together at what I  now have  named kingfisher corner just after last house boat at Brundall, continued up passed Surlingham on passed Bramerton and continued up river as far as postwick viaduct turned around and moored back at Bramerton as mooring at pub was from 4:30 fishing gear came out and I did the packing and cleaning which did not take very long after quite a few boating holidays I have finally learnt to leave the kitchen sink behind , showers had and then we moved up to our allotted space out side the pub young guy came out to assist and very soon after 3 other boats all came to moor up table was booked for 7 so a quite hour or so before heading in for a pre dinner snifter.

The meal was lovely we had starters and main course my husband again thought portion size a little small but for me it was perfect I had mushroom pots to start followed by chicken supreme this was small with dauphinois potatoes huge spinach and mushroom sauce lovely Mick had pigeon breast salad very small followed by calves liver and bacon on bubble mash only 2 small slices of liver but all very tasty washed down with a lovely crisp white not cheap at £90 but very enjoyable would definitely return. So back on the boat last few bits to tidy in the morning planing to leave about 7:30 to be early back in brooms read for a while before heading to bed for our final night sleep onboard.

Day 8 the Return

Would you believe it there was thick fog this morning cannot possibly sail in this will have to keep the boat , honestly it was really thick , had a coffee and tea packed away last bits and waited as the sun rose the visibility improved slightly and himself decided to make a move a very large private boat was moored right in front of us and very close too but with the bow thruster and skill out we popped and set off the only real worry was that Mick had watched 4 sets of rowers and their coaching boat  go downstream before we set off very aware having seen them from Bramerton that they would soon have turned around and be heading our way in the fog we took it very slowly both on the look out for them all going well until a broom skipper came flying up behind us to undercut us on a bend we pulled over and let them steam ahead sun was trying to break through but it was still very foggy, made it safely back to brooms but had a bit of trouble mooring being directed by 2 different guys as to where to put her finally secure we are pumped out topped up and a fuel deposit refund of over £65 was returned which almost paid for that nice meal last night  boat moved down little dyke to spot where we had loaded her from so car was still there unloaded packed up and disposed of the final rubbish into hand over the keys and collect car key we have a spare so we can pack the car and we were free to head home how fast the roads seem after a week afloat.

In conclusion 

We loved the southern rivers although on this trip did not venture far it was a learning curve about where to go tided moorings etc we loved everything about the boat apart for us the sleeping arrangements we have lately hired Barnes concerto and both used separate cabin I sleep badly and we like a lot more room than boat beds supply , the steering ,living area inside and out were superb for us I guess in the heat of last summer driving in the inside with no sun roof opening would have been very hot but in late September sunshine it was perfect , would we visit southern broads again oh yes would we hire from brooms yes definitely great service hand over boat ready at 12 even though we weren’t.

Would not eat at Coldham Hall again but would definitely return to the New Inn and Waters Edge.

This year we have hired  Silent Emblem from ferry marine a first with this yard for us that’s for the first week in September and feeling that was a long time to wait we have just also hired Aqua Emblem from them for the last week of June and were given a 5% discount on second hire this year.

I hope if you have made it this far you are not bored senseless I will endeavour if I do one to make any further tales a little more interesting.

Susan

I think some one went on holiday in a Delorean.   Sept.2019????????

Great write up. We haven’t hired on the southern rivers for a few years now but always loved it there. 

Will be interested to hear how you get on at Ferry Marina as they are one of our favourite yards to hire from. 

Thanks Jean

We as a couple have never hired on southern broads in a previous life I hired from Alfa craft Brundall  with a friend but travelled straight over to the northern broads frightens me now to think of crossing Breydon on my first hire but we did and survive only with the expert help of a private owner at Berney Arms mooring who gave us so much help and advice 2 novice girls not a clue what we were doing yard not really any help

We will def hire again south loved it but also love the Ant ,South Walsham et al

• Like 1

Hi snunn,

Our boat Lightning is moored just adjacent to the fuel quay at Brooms, maybe you`ve seen her. As for Loddon, Rosie Lee`s tea room is a must for us. It`s directly opposite the entrance to the staithe car park, so i would recommend it.  Glad to hear you enjoyed the southern rivers, but next time you hire on the southern rivers, make sure you go much further affield, and visit Beccles, Geldeston Lock, WRC, and Oulton Broad. Also, if the weather is calm and sunny, the sunsets at Reedham quay are amazing, but don`t know what the fishing is like.

Enjoy your trips this year, we`re on Lightning for a week from the last Saturday in June, is that the week you`re there?. 

Next time try the Ferry House, you won't be sorry great pub.Wewas there last night till this morning. Pre book moorings and table.Our pubs we often go to:The ferry house Surlingham, two Whitehorse,Chedgrave and Neatishead. The New Inn Horning and the Lion at Thurne.

5 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi snunn,

Our boat Lightning is moored just adjacent to the fuel quay at Brooms, maybe you`ve seen her. As for Loddon, Rosie Lee`s tea room is a must for us. It`s directly opposite the entrance to the staithe car park, so i would recommend it.  Glad to hear you enjoyed the southern rivers, but next time you hire on the southern rivers, make sure you go much further affield, and visit Beccles, Geldeston Lock, WRC, and Oulton Broad. Also, if the weather is calm and sunny, the sunsets at Reedham quay are amazing, but don`t know what the fishing is like.

Enjoy your trips this year, we`re on Lightning for a week from the last Saturday in June, is that the week you`re there?. 

Steve if look at NBF you'll see they are last week of June also same week as you in September

Tony

• Like 1