Tax On Fuels

Poppy

Interesting news this morning.

"Prime minister Teresa May has confirmed reports that the Government are looking at ways of introducing a higher rate fuel duty on electricity used for the propulsion of commercial and private vehicles. The U.K. Treasury is set to lose an estimated £3.5bn over the next five years as electricity, currently subject to 5% VAT increasingly replaces fossil fuels with tax levels in excess of 70%.

Prime Minister Teresa May confirmed that she had already consulted cabinet colleagues about methods to identify electricity used as road fuel and enable fuel duty to be applied. It is believed that the  Boris Johnson is the only one who has currently put forward any firm proposals. "I believe the best method would be to colour Electricity used for road fuel in the same way we have done with Diesel for agricultural use, a system which has worked well for many years" he said. "We all know normal electricity is blue, perhaps that used for road fuel could be coloured green?"

Meanwhile Michael Gove confirmed that discussions were "well underway" and that replacing the lost revenue is one of government's main priorities for the remainder of the current term. When asked if this could effect any other forms of transport he added "I think Boris (Johnson) has the best ideas on this yet, and especially like his thought on colouring propulsion fuels. If this is successful with electricity we may be able to move it into other forms of transport, such as differently coloured wind for the propulsion of sail boats"."

• Haha 6

I currently pay £3.75 for 5 litres of non fossil fuel for my car - yes asda had sunflower oil on special reduction at £3.75 for 5 litres, I treated my car to a double dose (10 litres) this tank full as it is warming up,

I also had another 2 5 litre bottles at £4.29 from lidls (I went there first) and noticed that sainsburys have a deal on sunflower oil at £4 for 5 litres.

as you are allowed to use up to 2500 litres a year without upsetting the tax man, I intend to make sure i get my cheap non fossil fuel allowance in.

Interestingly although the targets are set to replace fossil fuels, and natural gas is one of those, as my company works in this field as well as electricity, we had some news shared recently, although natural gas will be phased out, the majority of gas heating (I believe this was mentioned when we went off thread elsewhere) will remain, the majority of gas pipework in this country is safe for the transmission of hydrogen, and hydrogen is being investigated to replace natural gas, it would require (in much the same way as the conversion to natural gas did) the replacement of the burners in appliances. but the majority of gas appliances can run on hydrogen.

Trials are currently under way to ensure the safety in the transmission and use of hydrogen gas, but it certainly looks like the majority of gas users wont be forced to change to a more expensive electric heating option.

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

perhaps that used for road fuel could be coloured green?

Ah I see - the green electricity would cost the earth.

with 3 phase you could charge different rates for Black,Brown and grey phase colours, a standard rate for blue neutral energy and charge the earth for the green yellow electricity

• Haha 1

Funny but the bit about losing fuel duty to the government coffers is actually true. 

Funny how tree huggers refer to fossil fuels that are taxed at 70% as “subsidized”.

In other news the spaghetti trees are ripe for harvesting 

M