Bmc Engine Help

On 23/04/2019 at 09:10, Troutbridge said:

I thought I made that quite plain in my post. Incidentally after spending about fifteen minutes putting that post together did I get any thanks for it, no, just criticism.

I will keep my knowledge to myself in future.

Your post was all sound advice, but only to someone who has a clue about engines in the first place. 

The OP wants their hand holding in an almost literal sense so that they can learn about their engine. 

The dangers of asking in forums like this is that there are always people prepared to give advice, whether it is sound or not. One thing that came up a couple of times here is that a BMC is a pig to bleed. The 1.8 can be but the 1.5, 2.2 and 2.5 are so simple and easy to bleed, I find it hard to understand how people would suggest otherwise. 

We are currently converting a sloping BMC1.5 into a straight one for our fleet of hire boats, most of which use BMC engines. We know these things pretty well if you need any advice. Sadly, we can't come over to Beccles though as we are too busy in Thorpe. 

3 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Your post was all sound advice, but only to someone who has a clue about engines in the first place. 

The OP wants their hand holding in an almost literal sense so that they can learn about their engine. 

The dangers of asking in forums like this is that there are always people prepared to give advice, whether it is sound or not. One thing that came up a couple of times here is that a BMC is a pig to bleed. The 1.8 can be but the 1.5, 2.2 and 2.5 are so simple and easy to bleed, I find it hard to understand how people would suggest otherwise. 

We are currently converting a sloping BMC1.5 into a straight one for our fleet of hire boats, most of which use BMC engines. We know these things pretty well if you need any advice. Sadly, we can't come over to Beccles though as we are too busy in Thorpe. 

i'm happy to come to Norwich, if 1 of your engineers or yourself is doing a service or an overhaul on a 1.5 BMC diesel, and observe

4 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Happening over the next few days. You would be welcome tomorrow if you have time and can ignore creative swearing as two of the glow plugs have snapped in the head. One has been retrieved, the other is being a mother....... Bungalow Lane, NR7 0SH. 

annoyingly i'm helping to make a tank for my gas bottles tomorrow so already commited, but i would like to another time please

34 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Also, the green line points to a cylinder head bolt, not a glow plug. 

Having enlarged the picture I’ll give you that one. Trying to draw a line with your finger on an iPhone it is fairly close. 

Do you have a set way of bleeding your engines as I always find it takes a while to get rid of the air as the hand primer is not very effective. 

Yep, pre-fill the filter with diesel. 

However, the hand primer should work fine. If it's not working well, either your lift pump is damaged or the engine has stopped on the cam activator for the pump which is restricting the travel of the primer lever. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, smitch6 said:

annoyingly i'm helping to make a tank for my gas bottles tomorrow so already commited, but i would like to another time please

Doubt I will get a lot done tomorrow. Drop me a line. 01603 858453 and leave a message with your number and I will call you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I dont think anyone has mentioned but there are manuals for that engine on this very site. They will certainly help with the fun activity of bleeding the fuel. The first time I changed the oil filter I undid the nut at the bottom it was a real pig to get back on upside down and oily I have now learnt to unbolt the whole thing from the block and have had no need to do the canister spin off conversion

• Like 1