Guest mariotech

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well we made it,

The trip from Gillingham to St. Kats threw just about everything at us.

We Left Gillingham with a slightly overcast sky, a forecast of sunshine and showers and the wind blowing westerly 3-4, by the time we got to the Thames Estuary it was obvious that we were just about to encounter weather in the league of the perfect storm, the sky turned a very black shade of black and lightening was flashing around all over the place.

We had the dinghy strapped on the coach roof at the front meaning there was no way of driving from inside due to not being able to see over it, nothing else for it other than send the crew inside, put on the waterproofs and dig in for the ride.

The wind increased to what I would guess was a good 6 or maybe more, then it started. I have never seen rain come down like it did, despite the fact I was making only about 5 knots the rain was stinging into my face, visibility was almost nothing to the point that I could just about see the chart plotter but the very large container vessel in the fairway a couple of hundred yards away totally disappeared. Fortunately we had been given permission to transit the swatch channel, which was officially closed, this meant we weren't going to run into any big stuff but it was still a very scary experience and one that means next on the list is to get the radar fixed, the buoys had been removed due to works in the area but at least we would have seen any boats around us.

Glad to be able to say we survived the experience and after about half an hour the rain subsided to something like normal rain, restoring visibility and with it a sense of well being. We caught Jonathan and Wayne about 10 minutes later despite us having left Gillingham 2 hours after them, they had gone round the Swatch channel as at low water they were not sure that they had enough water to get through and the working vessel controlling traffic was not exactly forth coming with information.

We then carried on up the Thames holding a line just outside the fairway and crossing a couple of times at the designated places before making that call that had to be made "London VTS this is Clandestine Requesting permission to pass through the Barrier at speed" sorry but it just had to be done but I would guess it is now about as original as pirate flags on the Broads, even so the man on the Radio was courteous and instructed us to take Echo span, which we did at about 25 knots.

The rest of the trip was a little spoiled by heavy rain showers so by the time we got to St. Kats we were in no mood to carry on up river and as there was room for one more in the lock we just made our way in, the weather wasn't finished yet though and during our time in the worlds slowest lock the heavens opened once more just for good measure.

We are now tied up in a very nice part of St. Kats right at the end of the West Basin next to Crackerjack and Sea Gem, looking forward to 3 days of touristy sight seeing before continuing the rest of our voyage solo, Crackerjack and Sea Gem have opted for the week in St. Kats giving them a better start time and hopefully more settled weather to make 2 long hps back to the Broads so that Jonathan can do the run on the one engine he has left.

No Photos due to a very wet camera but will put some video on when we get back.

Our Log showed a target on Radar around 100-1030 which was a MOL Ship as we headed in from Kentish Knock toward Long Sand Head it appeared heading into Sunk.

When we got to around Sunk Inner (but not too close) one of your Taxi's looked to be heading from a vessel heading south up to the Sunk Anchorage we did wonder if your were around ;)

Hi Rod, did leave a message on your phone yesterday morning but it was Yesterday (Wednesday) when we headed up the Thames from Gillingham Marina, or the fort as it should be known.

Noticed a fair bit of big stuff about and a pilot transfer, did leave a container ship behind as we came to the first crossing point so a bit of 30 knots was called for to give safe distance, waved a lot so if you get reports of threatening behavior from a Sealine that would be me, :grin: Outbound on Sunday if you fancy it.

Mark, Wasn't the most pleasant of experiences but we came through the other side so it has to be put down as a success.

Few pics if I can get them on

post-83-136713738306_thumb.jpg

post-83-136713738324_thumb.jpg

Have had to buy a new camera after the other got a little wet so will post up boaty pics as we go.

So happy that you had a safe (if damp and exciting at times) passage and are living it up from the SB gin palace squadron in sunny (?) St Kat’s. cheerscheersbar

Carron would like to say that we would much rather be boatless and home in Warwick decorating... :cry:liar

Phil and Carron

(PS, Jonathan, we were thinking of calling Binky "Piston Broke" at one point :naughty: )

OK so apart from going to see the queen, Shooting tower bridge, doing the thames barrier at speed, living it up in St Kats Dock, what have the romans ever done for us??????

Just to say it looks like you are all having a fab time! By the way Rod - big grins for the Harwich Haven post!!!! :grin::grin: And just to say that the 'erratic navigation' report will be next week when we are out and about!

Phil - After the past couple of months Binky is probably due for that renaming ceremony! lol

Well done, Wayne,Tracy , Kristie & all, looking real good, Wayne, Breydon water will look like a walk in the park now ! have more fun, Ric,Donna & Lilly.

Hi certain we saw you guys moored waiting to go into St Kats lock , we were on the Balmoral which had left Gt Yarmouth that morning and I must agree the worst weather I have seen for a long time on the water :o .We took the offshore route due to the tides and went many miles offshore when the storm came .We went through as Tower bridge lifted at 7.30 pm with a Thames barge going down stream after we had gone through .an interesting journey ,added to by the huge explosion and fire ball off shore at the weapons testing site at Foulness which was a sight to see ,but then going upstream , did not see our boy Rod on the water :grin:

Hi certain we saw you guys moored waiting to go into St Kats lock , we were on the Balmoral which had left Gt Yarmouth that morning and I must agree the worst weather I have seen for a long time on the water :o .We took the offshore route due to the tides and went many miles offshore when the storm came .We went through as Tower bridge lifted at 7.30 pm with a Thames barge going down stream after we had gone through .an interesting journey ,added to by the huge explosion and fire ball off shore at the weapons testing site at Foulness which was a sight to see ,but then going upstream , did not see our boy Rod on the water :grin:

Hiya

Yep - that was us - we watched the Balmoral go thru the bridge - a magnificant ship. We sat around for ages in the Thames - surprising how much swell there was - finally getting into the lock around 8.00

We also saw the large fireball explosion - we were concerend it ws Iain in his petrol boat :lol: but we very relieved when we saw him catching us up at speed in the distance :lol::lol:

regards

Wayne

(PS, Jonathan, we were thinking of calling Binky "Piston Broke" at one point :naughty: )

Did you spell that right,I would think "Pissed & Broke" would be a good name for a "Salty Bottom"? :lol::lol:

Martin

p.s. For my last two week cruise in Greece I used about 10 gallons of diesel, but then I was "wind assisted"...

The downside with using the real phrase comes when a coastguard station or VTS ask's you to spell out the name of the vessel, hence the (un)subtle reworking.

Gav - your not wrong but thinking more along the lines of "Drives Me Crazy" :roll:

Phil and Carron

Great Pictures dad; and i think you've spotted gap in the market for "bobbing around on boat" cameras :D

Glad you're all there and okay; if not slightly moist :lol:

Keep the pictures and updates coming :D

Hi from a very sunny St. Katherines by the tower.

Today we decided that due to the forecast Sea Jem and Crackerjack would stay put for a day or so. Clanny had a better window with the speed available so they were able to continue their holiday more or less as planned. We are keeping tabs on them though to make sure they arrive at their destinations safely.

So Crew SeaJem jumped on board Crackerjack for a lunchtime cruise of the Thames:

post-710-136713744681_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713744985_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713745004_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713745022_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713745042_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713745062_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713745378_thumb.jpg

Glad all is going well Wayne :)

Your latest pictures are all very dejavu, as we did that bit of the Thames back in 1983, in a little 16ft Microplus 501 Explorer with an 8HP outboard, and two then young children :)

Having set off from Stanstead Abbotts in Herfordshire (our mooring base), travelling the length of the River Lea (overnight stop at Clapton), and out into the Thames at Bow Locks. Then up under Tower Bridge running with the incoming tide, getting through the lock at Teddington and into the non-tidal Thames before the ebb started.

From there up as far as Wargrave, before heading back to Penton Hook Marina where I had delivered the car and trailer a few days before starting our epic journey. The whole journey, taking us just over a week.

Can you imagine two adults, the eldest being 15, spending over a week living aboard a 16ft cabin cruiser, with a two burner gas cooker, no fridge, and a 'bucket & chuckit' Elsan toilet, that was stored under the sink :lol:

I certainly couldn't imagine doing it now :roll: , but it was a bit of an adventure, and we all had great time.

The journey back was a lot easier, with the boat on it's trailer, and only took 1.5hrs :lol: .

Keep the piccys and reports coming, it makes fascinating reading.

Dave

WE were stuck for what tacky souvenir to buy to remind us of our trip to London.

So we decided to go for the the Tower bridge effect radar arch.

And very nice it looks too.

post-442-136713745427_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonathon

hope your all enjoying your trip man that looks like fun :(:(

Ian mate Clanny is looking superb from when you first showed me the photos of what she was like when you was thinking of purchasing her man shes done your prowed even when gunning her she looks like a boat thats just been built..

Jonny ice sliceice slice