Yarmouth, Acle Road Bridge Low Tide Clearance.

PaulM

Hi everyone, please forgive me if this has been asked but I can’t find an even vague answer, just many contradictory ones.

My boat has an air draft of 9’. At low tide would I have any trouble getting through the two low bridges at Yarmouth heading towards Acle? The info I read says 7’ at high tide and a tidal range of 3 to 6’ this suggests to me that a minimum of 10’ at low tide should be found.

that said I’ve read a few reports of people finding under 7’ very near slack water (admittedly not slack) is it the timing that finds the water that high or is the tidal range optimistic?

advice, as always! gratefully received.

once again boating pic as payment with thanks

DAD5079D-C72C-45A8-A60F-11C386F32913.jpeg

• Like 1

Slack water occurs at Yarmouth normally around 75-90 mins after low water, however by the time slack water has occurred the level will already have risen a good 12-18in! So for the best clearance you want to be aiming to go through Yarmouth at just before, or dead on low water.

It a strange thing to see, but just after low water you will still see the river ebbing, even though the level is starting to rise. What is actually happening is that the incoming tide just after low water is forming a watery dam that is running in underneath the ebbing tide until it eventually holds back the ebb, and then eventually overcomes it. At the point the incoming tide equals the outgoing ebb, the level will have risen quite a bit. This is slack water.

My best advice would be to take the ebb across Breydon Water ahead of low water and then moor at the layby pontoon between Breydon bridge and Vauxhall bridge. There is a height gauge nearby and once you have enough clearance cast off and under the bridges. At this point you will be fighting the last of the ebb coming down The Bure, so will have good steerage under the bridge. This can be useful if faced with a novice hurtling down The Bure with the ebb tide under them and hardly any steerage.

At this point you have two choices, moor at the yacht station and wait for slack water and the incoming tide to take you up The Bure, or plod on against the ebbing tide. You will probably be charged by the yacht station even if mooring for an hour or so waiting for the tide. Other choices are to carry on to Marina Quays and wait there, or head up The Bure about 2 miles to Scare Gap 2hr emergency mooring and wait for the tide there.

• Like 6

I've been told by several people the rangers are not allowed to charge a fee if you are "waiting for the tide", is this correct, if so how come, is it due to some ancient navigational by-law?.  If this IS true, are you allowed to leave the boat to nip into Asda's for some urgent supplies, or do you have to stay on board?. I was told this by reliable sources, who are members of this forum. 

As for the unusual tidal "undertow" I noticed and was a bit stumped by it about 3 years ago when we moored there overnight. It's a strange thing to see. 

6 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I've been told by several people the rangers are not allowed to charge a fee if you are "waiting for the tide", is this correct, if so how come, is it due to some ancient navigational by-law?.  If this IS true, are you allowed to leave the boat to nip into Asda's for some urgent supplies, or do you have to stay on board?. I was told this by reliable sources, who are members of this forum. 

As for the unusual tidal "undertow" I noticed and was a bit stumped by it about 3 years ago when we moored there overnight. It's a strange thing to see. 

On one occasion I mentioned waiting for the tide and they didn't charge, on another occasion I was told you have an engine so it doesn't apply! So I guess If you were on a Hunters boat with only a sail and quant pole then they will probably let you off. If you have an engine then it depends on which ranger you encounter. Certainly if they do accept you are waiting for the tide I think you would be pushing it if you left the boat for any reason. Off course if you pulled over and opened the engine hatch to clear the reed filter and allow an "over heating" engine to cool down then I really don't think you should be charged, although there is only so many times you can have this misfortune in the same place :default_norty: Last year I arrived down The Bure and didn't have the clearance to go under the bridge and had to moor up. We were charged on this occasion despite  mentioning we were waiting for the tide and were told we didn't have to wait there but could go back up stream to Marina Quays (this was before it had been dredged and when there were no mooring signs and danger of grounding at low water signs) or back to Stracey Arms until there was clearance. I think it really depends on which ranger you encounter.

One little published fact, one that I personally pushed JP for and got his commitment to, is that you can moor at Yarmouth and Norwich free of charge for up to 15 mins to dispose of rubbish.

As for the tides, you see the same thing happen at all the moorings with big tidal range and strong currents. Berney Arms, Burgh Castle, Polkeys Mill and Reedham.

• Like 2

I've only stopped at Yarmouth twice. Once when my (old, knackered BMC) engine was genuinely overheating (no charge), and once when I stopped to nip out of the YS for a few supplies. That time they knocked for payment while I was gone, Rene told them I'd taken all the cash on board, so she couldn't pay. The rangers left with a very nasty attitude. Anyone would think it was their own money they'd not collected. I strongly feel there should be a "free mooring for 1 hour" at Yarmouth just for anyone wanting to stock up or have a break. There are cameras there so it's not difficult to police.

• Like 3

Perhaps this issue (waiting at GYYS for bridge headroom) could be commented on by the Broads Authority? It is not really good enough to have to rely on encountering an understanding Harbour Master if some others refuse to be understanding. There should be a standard approach for all to follow. Crews must remain on board imo otherwise it would be taking advantage of goodwill. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Perhaps this issue (waiting at GYYS for bridge headroom) could be commented on by the Broads Authority? It is not really good enough to have to rely on encountering an understanding Harbour Master if some others refuse to be understanding. There should be a standard approach for all to follow. Crews must remain on board imo otherwise it would be taking advantage of goodwill. 

I guess the problem with looking for a consistent approach from the BA, is that the more lenient rangers maybe reminded of the BA policy and end up being less lenient!

On another occasion I stopped at Norwich for water and the rangers came along and asked for a fee. I pointed out I wasn't staying but just taking on water. They then suggested that a little donation to the RNLI in exchange for the water might be appropriate. I then pointed out that years RNLI Offshore member sticker in the window, but even so gave them two pound to put in the RNLI box. Like traffic wardens, or police, there will always be some more officious than others, but if you ask for clarification, then the party line is likely to be quoted.

Seeing as Norwich has now been quoted, and to ensure good and bad points are mentioned, I popped into Norwich earlier this year as I was picking someone up from the train station to join is on board.

Once moored up, the ranger came along and asked for payment, I pointed out that I was just picking someone up from the station and would only be 20 minutes, how much money did I owe, and he told me if I could be gone within the hour he wouldn't charge me.

I could have therefore grabbed some supplies from Morrisons if needed, I'm not sure Yarmouth would do the same, I hardly ever tend to stop there, but I've always found Norwich Yacht Station to be friendly and helpful.

Oulton and Beccles too by the way

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

On another occasion I stopped at Norwich for water and the rangers came along and asked for a fee.

I believe the signs showing the charges do quote a £2 charge for water which is of course included in the mooring fee if staying.