Where's This

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

497682602_QueenofHeartswhere.thumb.jpeg.5acc04380054e71a0c32582bdc191fb3.jpeg

1223307830_QueenofHeartswhere2.thumb.jpeg.98f6e736aae26b32f6342cdae15133a9.jpeg

Here's an oldie but goodie.

The date is May 1953, the boat is the Queen of Hearts and the photos were taken in the same place, by the hirers of the boat. They also show the traditional use of a public staithe for loading cargo.

Any ideas?

I thought for a second it was Hardley Mill, because of that cottage looks like the one opposite the sugar factory, but the bottom photo shows the bend going to the left, whereas Hardley mill is on a right hand bend, heading down stream, though the river looks far too narrow for the Yare.

1 minute ago, webntweb said:

Is the launch possibly W155 making it a Waveney registered craft?

So I'll have another guess at St Olaves just downstream of the bridge.

I thought that but there has never been a tall tree line to the left that I can remember :default_icon_wave:

Well done Liz, and two others, who got it right. It is St Olaves. Looks a bit different now! I would guess the first photo was taken from the bridge itself.

The launch, complete with yard hand in yachting cap, is typical of many boatyard launches in those days, as a large number of breakdowns were attended by river rather than road and it was always the nearest Blakes or Hoseason yard who went out to a casualty. This one may have come from Johnsons Yacht Station or perhaps one of the yards on Oulton Broad.

At one time I thought it was the Blakes towboat that they used to operate from GYYS but my memory now suggests that one was a clinker built boat, more of a fishing boat type. Anyone else remember it? Or perhaps a photo?

In those days any accidents or incidents were well covered by the nearest boatyard. Half the time they never even billed each other for the service, unless it was on insurance. We all knew it might be our turn next, so a charge was not often made!

Nowadays incidents, even small ones, have to be covered by inshore rescue boats and such, as there are no more local boatyards. That's not a political point - just a matter of how much the holiday business has changed over the years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well done Liz, and two others, who got it right. It is St Olaves. Looks a bit different now! I would guess the first photo was taken from the bridge itself.

I think it is further down probably from the opposite bank which doesn't look that developed then? The tree line is probably that marked on the map as Waveney Forest rather than Fritton Decoy which I originally thought.........

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The launch, complete with yard hand in yachting cap, is typical of many boatyard launches in those days, as a large number of breakdowns were attended by river rather than road and it was always the nearest Blakes or Hoseason yard who went out to a casualty. This one may have come from Johnsons Yacht Station or perhaps one of the yards on Oulton Broad.

At one time I thought it was the Blakes towboat that they used to operate from GYYS but my memory now suggests that one was a clinker built boat, more of a fishing boat type. Anyone else remember it? Or perhaps a photo?

In those days any accidents or incidents were well covered by the nearest boatyard. Half the time they never even billed each other for the service, unless it was on insurance. We all knew it might be our turn next, so a charge was not often made!

Nowadays incidents, even small ones, have to be covered by inshore rescue boats and such, as there are no more local boatyards. That's not a political point - just a matter of how much the holiday business has changed over the years.

Was it looking North or South Vaughn, it looks to me like it was looking North?.

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Was it looking North or South Vaughn, it looks to me like it was looking North?.

I think the bottom photo was taken from just below the bridge looking downstream - isn't the wind pump where the BA moorings are now?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Unfortunately Vaughan back in 1963 I missed the golden opportunity of a photo.

Five 17 and 18 year old lads on their first holiday away from their parents. We had hired Crusader 1 from Richardson's and after overnighting at Yarmouth YS we headed for Norwich.

I had my precious (and expensive for a second year apprentice on 30% of a journeyman's wage) Hamilton's, from which I had read to my friends the bit about making sure rope's didn't dangle in the water behind the boat.

We left GY and were running against a slight flow across Breydon. About halfway across the engine note changed and we found one of the stern ropes was round the prop. One of the lads spotted a buoy (in place of a missing channel post?) and as we drifted past he managed to loop a rope round it.

A passing boat took a message to the YS and a boat came out and towed us back. We had no idea who the boat belonged to and the helmsman's parting words were just for us to phone our boatyard.

Next morning a couple of Richardson's engineers came, had a look down the weed hatch and decided it was a lifting out job. Shortly another launch (can't remember if it was the same one) towed us under Haven Bridge to the quay on the left where a crane lifted our boat high enough for them to cut the rope off the prop.

It wasn't until they were lifting the boat that I realised I had left my camera on board.

When one of the Richardson's guys asked how the rope came to be round the prop, with true comradeship we all pointed at the lad responsible.

At least I can say that I'm in a probably rare group of people who have been through Haven Bridge on a hire craft.

• Like 3