From Motor Boat Owner September Issue

ChrisB

We use this and are very pleased with the results. Speed over ground very useful. Having used it going up and down the Chet we found with the flood only needing 1000 revs for 4mph but on leaving against a flood 1300 to get the same speed. This app is a lot better than others we've tried and the Three Little Words is being picked up by nearly all the emergency services.

Gets my vote for best app.

Colin :default_winko:

Hi marshy, I was typing when you posted. Quite agree no app or speedo will stop those from speeding but passing on this app to the kids who are glued to their phones might just help a little with' Dad, you're going to fast'. If it helps with speeding I'm all for it.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, marshman said:

It is a good App but why on earth would it stop speeding? We are not talking about people a bit over the top but excessively so!

What is the good of a speedo, if a) you never look at it, or b) chose to ignore it? If people don't want to take the info in ,they won't!!

I didn’t say it would stop speeding , what it will do is give a clearer indication than that of using the rpm method already in use to attempt to cruise within the limits 

Those that are already checking their rpm to cruise within the limits  will find the app more convenient

The app also has tide times at all bridges , which those aboard a boat with 8ft 6 airdraft of which there are increasingly more can use to enable passage under bridges such as Ludham at the best passage time ,  especially if used in conjunction with https://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/distancecalculator.asp

which can give an accurate travel time needed between any two chosen points (at appropriate speed )

• Like 3

5 hours ago, marshman said:

It is a good App but why on earth would it stop speeding? We are not talking about people a bit over the top but excessively so!

What is the good of a speedo, if a) you never look at it, or b) chose to ignore it? If people don't want to take the info in ,they won't!!

I totally agree,  I never look at the speedo when out on the mighty Speed Twin, i ride on my experience and ability, and the rev counter wile i`m still running it in. Speed limits were made for pushbikes and pedalcars.

Seriously though, i do agree with what you say, wildly excessive speed is dangerous. 1mph over the limit might be speeding, but will have very little impact on the banks and other boats. High levels of wash are the main problem, and they are more likely to be caused by excessive speed.

As for the use of a speedo, with that mindset, you might as well remove it from the boat.