Mariners Notice No 1 2020 Closure Catfield Dyke

Good morning

Please find attached Notice to Mariners No 1 2020 Closure of “Catfield Dyke”, Hickling Broad.

Kind regards.
Karen

Karen Tyrrell

Administrative Officer Operations
Broads Authority

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich, NR1 1RY
Tel: 01603 756035 : karen.tyrrell@broads-authority.gov.uk

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734

Notice to Mariners No. 01 of 2020
Closure of ‘Catfield Dyke’ Hickling Broad
Notice is hereby given that the Broads Authority will be dredging Catfield Dyke. Passage to all vessels will be closed for the duration of the works. All vessels are to consider this closure when route planning and when navigating the area.
The works are planned to commence from Monday 13 January to Thursday 9 April 2020.
Mariners with vessels in Catfield Dyke are encouraged to make route arrangements prior to the works starting. All equipment will be lit and signage will be in place to warn of the closure.
The works will take place in the following approximate position: TG405217– X (easting) 640530: Y (northing) 321734 (Shown on plan extract by ). Vessels should ensure that the new position is taken into consideration for passage planning and when navigating in this area.
© Crown copyright [and database rights] 2019 OS 100021573. You are permitted to use this data solely to enable you to respond to, or interact with, the organisation that provided you with the data. You are not permitted to copy, sub-licence, distribute or sell any of this data to third parties in any form.
Please contact the Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 1RY Tel (01603) 610734 if additional information is required.
Rivers Engineer
27 November 2019
https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners

• Like 2

Hi Paul - do you know exactly what is involved at Catfield? I am not sure myself. Are they being allowed to side cast it or are they going to use the spoil in the reclamation of the bay around the corner? If the latter, my guess is that given the length of the dyke, they will be hard pushed to complete it by early March and if it is a mild winter, a rise in water temperatures earlier than expected, will bring it all to a sudden, and earlier, end.

What it is still a little sad to see, is that despite dredging this winter, some of the extremities of the navigations, no one has seen fit to congratulate the BA!! I suppose it would be too much to expect this will put paid to the earlier controversies that have been around of them operating a conspiracy to abandon some parts of the river system? My guess is that the dredging on Tylers Cut, Waxham Cut and now Catfield Dyke should help dispel these "conspiracy" theories !!:default_gbxhmm::default_gbxhmm:

All very fine if like me you hire or own a boat that can go the right side of the bridge, but for the majority who cannot pass Potter heigham, a lot of that dredging is a bit of a moot point as they cannot enjoy it (I am certainly hoping to spend a day or so exploring those locations in may when I am around the broads next.)

I suspect the access issue is why there are not more congratulatory messages, so here we go, thanks Broads Authority from my point of view anyway

• Like 1