Spirit Of Breydon

Meantime

Last I heard she was for sale. Has she now been sold, or has she been withdrawn from sale? Reason I ask is that I've just seen a picture on FB and she appears to be back on the pontoon at Goodchild. I also cannot find her listed on any boat sales websites, so has she sold, or is she back in service having failed to sell?

I didn't see anything in the following press release about the large engine making it an unsuitable boat for the job!

"The authority said it decided to sell the Spirit of Breydon as it is no longer suitable to the demands of the ranger team."

"In a statement, the Broads Authority said: "The Authority has taken the decision to sell Spirit of Breydon after reviewing our launch replacement strategy, which identifies the need for our launches to be able to cover a wider range of tasks now undertaken by the Ranger team, including riverside tree and scrub management and mooring maintenance.

"We are currently in the process of identifying a replacement vessel that is suited to the varied demands of the Ranger role. Selling Spirit of Breydon while it remains in good condition and with inherent value will allow us to implement this strategy more quickly."

Perhaps being stuck with a white elephant has led to another review of the launch replacement strategy and it has been decided that the Spirit of Breydon is suddenly the right boat for the job!!!!

• Like 1

Just shows you what you miss when you give up reading the forum for a few months, although to be honest for the main part the same topics are still being aired by the same protagonists, just like nothing has changed really!!

Anyway you can probably just remove this duplicate topic if you want.

2 hours ago, marshman said:

I am saure if you "search" you will find a thread where this has already been discussed at some length???

Discussed before?   Spirit of Breydon ? 

I can only assume that any previous discussions must have been to congratulate the BA for acquiring such a fine craft.

:default_hiding:

• Haha 2

Got to say that as I read it the BA has made the best of a bad job and it might well turn out to be a wise move. Perhaps having a muscle boat is no bad thing. Provided her use is related to weather and tide rather than office hours then she could prove to be a useful work boat, provided that she's able to tow other boats.  Let's hope that a corner is being turned.

Some information from the other thread to save you searching.

"The original engine on Spirit of Breydon (SOB) was replaced under warranty shortly after it was first commissioned after developing a fault (this wasn't an issue that could have been foreseen I have been told), resulting in some down time.

We had listed SOB up for sale earlier this year as part of our launch replacement strategy. However, no suitable offers were made and so rather than selling her at a price we weren't happy with, we have recently decided to replace the engine on her. The new engine is a more suitable and efficient one which will reduce running costs and reduce carbon emissions as a step towards our commitment to be carbon neutral by 2040.

As with all of our launches we do have occasional mechanical issues which is part of running vessels on a daily basis and SOB was no exception to this. The launches, including SOB, are also all taken out of service each year for their annual maintenance checks."

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6