Norwich Yacht Station To Stay Closed For Now

Meantime

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but Norwich yacht station and the information centres at Hoveton and How Hill will not be opening at the start of the season as usual. Reedham and Great Yarmouth will be open because of the safety implications.

More on the measures the BA are taking for Covid-19 can be found here,

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm not sure that closing Norwich Yacht Station is actually necessary. Unmanned perhaps but surely not closed. Otherwise all wise precautions. 

Semantics I know, but they are not closing the yacht station, they are just not reopening it as they would normally do at the start of the season. I would imagine that this enables them to ensure they have cover if needed at Reedham and Great Yarmouth where assistance when mooring is more needed.

Norwich yacht station has it's own challenges with the local night life nearby and therefore has gates with codes at either end and CCTV. To open the yacht station but not man it would mean a bit of an unprotected free for all as the gates would need to be left unlocked. The toilet block and showers couldn't be opened as there would be no staff to clean them and I guess there would be a whole host of legal issues between the BA and their landlords Norwich council and their insurers. So all round I can see why it would remain un manned and therefore not reopen for the start of the season.

Although the Yacht Station will be "closed" I guess you will still be able to moor - whether the security gates will be shut or open, will perhaps be another issue? Given that most bars etc in POW Road will now be shut, the gates could easily be left open.

Perhaps Tom can advise?

22 minutes ago, marshman said:

Although the Yacht Station will be "closed" I guess you will still be able to moor - whether the security gates will be shut or open, will perhaps be another issue? Given that most bars etc in POW Road will now be shut, the gates could easily be left open.

Perhaps Tom can advise?

I had thought the same about the bars on POW Road, but until the government ban rather than advise against visiting pubs and clubs they are likely to remain open. The other way of looking at it is that if they do close, there are likely to be a lot of people at a loose end who may well end up congregating and drinking from cans and bottles at such open places.

I was never a great fan of mooring at the yacht station anyway, and on balance will continue to give it a wide berth.

22 minutes ago, vanessan said:

In the spring I think was the indication. Mid or late I don’t know. 

Yes but that was months ago the ball game has very much changed now , I guess it's very much a case of they get opened when they get opened , they appear finished , but it's possible since they are to BA stands that they haven't yet been signed off safety wise , that said there aren't any no mooring signs or tape.

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing our page - I will post a further update regarding COVID-19 and the Broads on here later on today.

1. We have prioritised the opening of Reedham and Great Yarmouth Yacht Stations due to the safety implications of them being particularly tidal locations.

2. Unfortunately having Norwich's facilities remain 'open but unmanned' wouldn't be a practical solution and would pose a whole host of other issues due to the site's close proximity to the city. As far as I am aware, access to the site will remain closed as it has over the winter. Vessels have still moored there over the winter period at their own risk. We are hoping to return to normal operations as soon as circumstances allow.

3. The new Carrow moorings were planned to open in the near future, although with these recent developments that may have changed. Our Operations teams are currently still at work but please stay tuned for further updates.

4. Our current stance regarding visiting the area is to share Government guidance on social distancing and avoiding non-urgent travel if possible. Unless the Government attempt to enforce a total ban on travel, the waterways still remain open for people to access should they wish to. It is down to individuals and businesses to follow Government advice and take appropriate action.

5. For further updates as they happen please keep an eye on our website: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

Thank you for your patience whilst we try to keep up normal operations during this challenging time. Stay safe out there.

Tom

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Semantics I know, but they are not closing the yacht station, they are just not reopening it as they would normally do at the start of the season. I would imagine that this enables them to ensure they have cover if needed at Reedham and Great Yarmouth where assistance when mooring is more needed.

Norwich yacht station has it's own challenges with the local night life nearby and therefore has gates with codes at either end and CCTV. To open the yacht station but not man it would mean a bit of an unprotected free for all as the gates would need to be left unlocked. The toilet block and showers couldn't be opened as there would be no staff to clean them and I guess there would be a whole host of legal issues between the BA and their landlords Norwich council and their insurers. So all round I can see why it would remain un manned and therefore not reopen for the start of the season.

Alternatively it could be run by the council who created it , then again no , obviously they believe that people don't need water between October and April , yes there's little in the way of boat movement at that time of yr , but surely one hose or tap  could be left on ? .

Access is available the fishermen manage it even with that additional chains and padlocks the council use and the codes more than likely the same as always have been , the CCTV globe in the middle of the quay is capable of looking the full length of the moorings and operated by the police 24/7/365 .

I absolutely get the very likely reason why BA have done this as in to have cover for other more important areas such as Yarmouth and reedham , and I certainly get that the area may well become a magnet if the bars on Prince charming close.