Child Lifejackets

i will be having the grandkids coming to visit at the end of july and will be taking them out on our boat,

i'd like to get them some life jackets to use obviously,

they are 6-8 

has anyone got 2 i could borrow for a week or don't mind buying if they're for sale instead please

i'm lowestoft way 

thank you

Don't necessarily use life jackets per se - don't forget that we only ever sail on the Broads in Cat A waters and life vests ( buoyancy aids) are adequate. There are plenty of modestly priced ones suitable for kids. In the US, the USCG  authorities state auto inflates are not necessarily acceptable for young children.( Or they used to!)

Equally you should not IMHO EVER borrow life jackets - can you fully check one and carry out the necessary safety checks? Indeed I do not think I would ever lend one for that reason - what if the auto inflate failed to fire??

Read up on line what is best and opinions do vary, but for peace of mind go and buy a properly fitted life saver of whatever you decide but remember you are relying on an auto inflate to actually work and there are many "floating" around I would not buy - you get what you pay for and if its a life you are going to save, money should not be an object

30 minutes ago, marshman said:

Don't necessarily use life jackets per se - don't forget that we only ever sail on the Broads in Cat A waters and life vests ( buoyancy aids) are adequate. There are plenty of modestly priced ones suitable for kids. In the US, the USCG  authorities state auto inflates are not necessarily acceptable for young children.( Or they used to!)

Equally you should not IMHO EVER borrow life jackets - can you fully check one and carry out the necessary safety checks? Indeed I do not think I would ever lend one for that reason - what if the auto inflate failed to fire??

Read up on line what is best and opinions do vary, but for peace of mind go and buy a properly fitted life saver of whatever you decide but remember you are relying on an auto inflate to actually work and there are many "floating" around I would not buy - you get what you pay for and if its a life you are going to save, money should not be an object

childrens lifejackets aren't usually inflateable, whether it be manual or auto

they are usually the bouyancy type

• Like 1

I would like to add that when my grandchildren came on the boat they didn't want to wear the buoyancy add type and were forever taking them of when our backs were turned as they were so restricting for children, we purchased two inflatable ones and had no issues as they aren't so restricting, had to give the buoyancy ones away in the end.John

• 1 year later...
On 21/03/2020 at 20:23, smitch6 said:

i will be having the grandkids coming to visit at the end of july and will be taking them out on our boat,

i'd like to get them some life jackets to use obviously,

they are 6-8 

has anyone got 2 i could borrow for a week or don't mind buying if they're for sale instead please

i'm lowestoft way 

thank you

Are you still looking? Only asking as I know of somebody selling a few, he would rather sell as a job lot but I could ask for you.