A Serious Question

ChrisB

Following on from my post on another thread, the relaxing of some regulations and the return to work of certain sectors made me think.

What are they going to do about Public Toilets? Their very design incorporates an entrance maze or double doors for modesty preservation, you can't see if someone is exciting as you enter so you are constantly squeezing past each other. How can surfaces be sanitized? 

Train stations, underground, towns, country, beaches all have them as do places of work.

How will they manage our network of WCs? In North Norfolk we will be fine as we are trained not to need conveniences Monday to Friday between end Sept and March so they can lock the doors!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

What are they going to do about Public Toilets? Their very design incorporates an entrance maze or double doors for modesty preservation, you can't see if someone is exciting as you enter

Probably just as well Chris! :default_coat:

I thought many public toilets had been shut but you do have a valid point for where there are some. There is usually a queue for the ladies wherever there are facilities, social distancing will mean the queue going round and round the store or wherever! 

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

How will they manage our network of WCs? In North Norfolk we will be fine as we are trained not to need conveniences Monday to Friday between end Sept and March so they can lock the doors!

A RADAR key is invaluable out of season in Norfolk but at the moment even disabled toilets are closed. A bucket in the boot perhaps!

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

A RADAR key is invaluable out of season in Norfolk but at the moment even disabled toilets are closed. A bucket in the boot perhaps!

Ah! We small boat sailors Peter. We'll show um how to "Bucket and Chuck it"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

There is a simple rule :

Whatever you are going to do - do it to leeward!

The other golden rule was when on nightwatch on the Bridge and you needed to go, always use the Portside bridge wing not Starboard. For the simple reason it's prettier over the red light than the green.  :default_coat:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

The other golden rule was when on nightwatch on the Bridge and you needed to go, always use the Portside bridge wing not Starboard. For the simple reason it's prettier over the red light than the green.  :default_coat:

This is also the reason why sailors who are prone to sea-sickness always eat Ambrosia creamed rice pudding before they go to sea.

It looks cleaner on the deck!

In a similar vein, here's a little story you may find amusing.

Years ago I worked for a while for a marine radio company in Lowestoft at the time when the docks were busy with the trawler fleets and were generally accessible to walk in.

We often would go onboard the boats just after they docked for offloading their catch for the purpose of checking/repairing the radio and nav equipment, batteries etc. This particular occasion one of the "football" class trawlers operated by Colne Shipping had come in to the dockside having been steaming in through the night. Before we even boarded it was fairly obvious that they had been practising the 'bridge wing' method mentioned before. Not normally an issue as the boats were always hosed down pretty soon after tying up.

On this occasion however, prior to the hosedown, there was a schoolparty with a teacher and her group of early teenage girls on a school visit to see onboard a working sea trawler. I realised they were about to follow us up the gangway to board so I tried to warn the teacher that the ship wasn't in fit state. However to no avail. On they came.

All I can add is that the genteel young ladies certainly got a real taste and flavour (and smell) of an authentic trawler, which has probably stayed with them all their lives.