Which Knot

smitch6

Hi launched my new to me broads boat yesterday, been quite a few years since i had a large boat, my previous one was only a 20'

this one is 26' long  x 10.6wide so quite a lump

anyways she drove lovely, but we had to stop so the wife could do a conference call for her work on the way from the launch spot to the new moorings.

the only place i could find was on the river side with no proper moorings but there was a built in ladder so i tied the rope to the ladder rung.

I passed a loop through then tied it off however the tide moved the stern of the boat out into the river quite badly,

so i had to pull the stern back towards the bank and then put a bank hook in and tied that on which helped.

anyway while pulling her back in i pulled my arms and shoulders as i couldn't release the rope on the ladder as it had got so tight, i tried using the engine to move the stern in but nope i had to pull her in.

which knot would of been good to tie onto the rung, so i could of slipped it with the loose end?

The Broadland Knot master speaking. Having observed knots of generations of visitors and private owners I have come to the conclusion that if you don't know knots "tie lots".

You may find that a well meaning local will tie your boat up for you. Thank him. His effort will be a silly thing. Once he has gone creep up surreptitiously, untie it and create your own magnificent wonder.

The bigger the knot the better. It is your mooring post. Go for it. Fill the post up. If you have got 30 ft of rope, use it. Wrap it round and round. The feel good factor will be unbelievable, don't forget to stand back and admire it, this work of art.

Retire for the night, not for a night cap, we are talking a night hat, a big one. Safe in the knowledge that all is well. Unless the tide turns. Night night sweet repose, half the bed and all the clothes.

Old Wussername

• Haha 4

While the round turn and two half hitches is the knot of choice for tying a boat to a thin thing like a ladder, I think you were asking for a knot which would hold the boat but could be easily released. For this, I would use a highwayman's hitch. It is dead easy to tie consisting of just 3 loops. It holds quite well, but if you pull on the loose end it just releases and slips off.

• Like 2