What You Could Get Away With For £50!

JanetAnne

I currently have in my possession  (borrowed) a Blakes Skippers Handbook from 1980. 

Within its well worn pages are everything from use of fridges, how to light a catalytic heater whilst retaining your eyebrows and the rescue procedure for man overboard.

Towards the back and typed in red, anyone else remember the days of the red and black typewriter ribbon?, is this page on the byelaws dated March 1980.

It seems you could get up to all sorts of things for a fine not exceeding £50...

It's well faded and the camera is not that good but hopefully it will reproduce here or maybe someone can clean it up if needed.

Enjoy

20200605_094912.thumb.jpg.22de0429fb8f831e27c1b58b1854acf3.jpg

Why I am I left wondering if it's £50 each breach or I can "Falling down" moment for £50...

Though £50 in the 80's still doesn't seem a lot of money? I guess it's still a deterrent, although I'd like to have seen a little more deterrent for like speeding and undoing lines... I guess thats why they are now thankfully much harsher.. 

29 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Blimey, how many people were setting fire to  boats for it to be specifically mentioned?

More importantly, it seems there was a fine for setting fire to a vessel on the waterways, which implies there was no penalty if the boat was laid up on dry land!