Save Our Fish.

JennyMorgan

25 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

"Shareholders in holding company Archant Limited, which has been placed into administration as part of the change of ownership, have been informed their shares are now of no value."

Very many of those shareholders are employees or ex employees of Archant who had invested in the company over a number of years through a 'saresave' scheme.  I have seen the quality of the EDP and other Archant titles gradually decline whilst the cover price rises . As for their journalism, don't get me started !   :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Often the trouble is related to the pension schemes which are probably hugely underfunded, primarily because people live longer and inflation over the years well above projections. If as you say. the underlying company has gone into administration, that cost will undoubtedly have been transferred to the Treasury i.e. you and me!!!

Still it will only add marginally to the National Debt!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Archant's recent failings will seemingly impact a far wider area than I realised, it's certainly not just a Norfolk issue.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/archant-bought-out-new-owner-shareholders/?fbclid=IwAR0OcdeFZ63p-Axk4pNXcMU7_vAgsv-8AZGdOMmnLsy8mTmAA01_WsITEaU

Airgun World, now that's a blast from the past!

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting update from the BASG Website

https://basg.online/environment-agency-fbg-objection-paper-on-hoveton-barrier/

"We formally requested via a FOI request to see the internal EA Fisheries teams response to the – Hoveton Great Broad Flood Risk Activity Permit Consultation Responses, this post includes this response to view for yourself..

The Fisheries Team form part of the Fisheries Biodiversity &  Geomorphology (FBG) team structure withing the Environment Agency.

The document was withheld from the public within the consultation response and material on fisheries surveys as part of the wider consultation. This gave the impression that the applicants proposals were accepted. Indeed its still not available in the consultation response documents.  https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/east-anglia-c-e/hoveton-great-broad-temporary-fish-barriers/consultation/published_select_respondent

However this is referred to many times within the consultation response and it’s final determination.

The FBG response lists 8 key objections, supported by 53 explanatory statements.is listed below.

Hoveton Project – FRAP comments from FBG 21 Feb 2020

How this can be ignored astounds us as of no consequence and is to be formally challenged by our continuing Fish Legal action.

More to follow on this shortly."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The boating world has the RYA, us anglers have Fish Legal. In relation to Hoveton Great Broad Fish Legal has become involved. Further worthwhile information here:

https://anglingtrust.net/2020/09/09/environment-agency-ignores-its-own-experts-trying-to-protect-vital-fish-spawning-grounds-in-norfolk-broads/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks for posting the link JM. Makes interesting reading although just about unbelievable 🤬

Griff

I was involved with the EA at their Norwich office thus I knew what the fishery team had firmly advocated. What has shocked me is that that information, gathered at huge expense, was not just ignored but was actually withheld and hidden from public view.

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The cynic in me thinks that someone at HGB has got someone’s ear within the EA

You might, or might not be surprised at who went to university with whom, or who once had adjoining offices alongside the River Wensum. As the saying goes, its not always what you know but who you know!

Thank goodness for the FOI Act. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Have you informed the BASG of this nugget of information ?

Griff

It is widely known where it matters and has been for several years. Whilst it is known it doesn't mean that an offence has taken place, having friends is not yet illegal :default_wink:. Fish Legal's FOI has unearthed unacceptable procedures within the EA, it will be interesting to see if and how that develops. The BA has coincidentally kept its distance in regard to HGB. Don't forget, HGB is a flagship Natural England project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, floydraser said:

This sounds perfect for Tom Heaps to investigate on Countryfile. About time they broadcast something interesting.

Countryfile has been approached in the past. The whole issue surrounding the BNP furor is also surely worth investigation by Countryfile. That said, Countryfile responded positively over the use of the BNP tag by the BA when the BA had a rare input on the program. Perhaps you remember the Ranger, when being interviewed, greeted the reporter thus; 'Welcome to the Broads Nur', the national park term having been edited out.  Very clearly Countryfile are aware of the BNP situation but I suspect that the wider public interest  in the Broads is not considered  as being sufficiently significant. HGB is surely even less significant, regretfully.

• Like 2