Help Please - Weather Ok For Novice Boaters Tomorrow?!

JenJen

Hello, hoping for some help. We are due to go out in a day boat tomorrow with our two small children (5yrs and 2yrs). We’ve seen the weather warning and gales of 45mph likely. We have absolutely zero experience of boats....should we give it a miss tomorrow and try another year if we are here or could we still go and have a nice time?! My husband also gets super seasick so is worried about even a bit of wind setting him off. Any help appreciated

Where are you picking up the day boat from? If it’s somewhere like Wroxham most of the river is quite sheltered by trees, so you shouldn’t have as much wind as you might have on more exposed areas of the rivers. Day boats tend to be a bit more manoeuvrable and less prone to ‘catching the wind’ than bigger boats anyway.
If you are picking up the boat from Waveney River Centre I would suggest going up river toward Beccles as that’s nicely tree lined, not downriver where it’s really exposed with flat land either side.

Where are you going from? For how long? Is it a day boat or a picnic boat. 

The age of the children, your seemingly total lack of experience, your husbands lack of confidence does not bode well for an enjoyable day. However the rivers will be relatively calm. The broads less so.

Andrew

We are picking up the boat near Wayford Bridge (NR12 9LN). Is that a calmer bit?!

its a day boat and we have it just for the day. It’s not the end of the world if we don’t go but we had been looking forward to it. Just want to make a safe and sensible decision and not disappoint the kids too much!

If that’s the case then you should be in a fairly sheltered spot. You can go up to Dilham (go upriver under the bridge) or downriver to the fork in the river where you can go to Stalham or Sutton or even Barton Turf. However, as Andrew has suggested, venturing out on the Broads (the wider expanses of waters linking the rivers) wouldn’t be good, so don’t recommend you go onto Barton Broad which is just downriver from Stalham, Sutton and Barton Turf. Have a look on Google maps to check out where those places are before setting out.
Personally, I think the river up towards Dilham is magical. Wayford Bridge is fairly low, so bigger boats can’t get up there. Should be peaceful!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If that’s the case then you should be in a fairly sheltered spot. You can go up to Dilham (go upriver under the bridge) or downriver to the fork in the river where you can go to Stalham or Sutton or even Barton Turf. However, as Andrew has suggested, venturing out on the Broads (the wider expanses of waters linking the rivers) wouldn’t be good, so don’t recommend you go onto Barton Broad which is just downriver from Stalham, Sutton and Barton Turf. Have a look on Google maps to check out where those places are before setting out.
Personally, I think the river up towards Dilham is magical. Wayford Bridge is fairly low, so bigger boats can’t get up there. 

Hi you guys.

YnysMon  is absolutely  correct. Stay away from Barton Broad. Save for another day. Dilham is wonderful and should be sheltered and devoid of large cruisers.

Oh! Don't forget have a super time.

All the best.

Old Wussername

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JenJen said:

We are picking up the boat near Wayford Bridge (NR12 9LN). Is that a calmer bit?!

its a day boat and we have it just for the day. It’s not the end of the world if we don’t go but we had been looking forward to it. Just want to make a safe and sensible decision and not disappoint the kids too much!

You will be fine ,  you could not have picked a more sheltered spot to start off from.   As said stick to the rivers, you should be given a map or have one yourselves.    You dont have to go miles.   Go up to Dilhlam,  lovely spot for lunch and the kids can get off and run about on the green there.    Just be extra careful getting on and off and wear your life jackets.

I have just been watching paddle boarders on the river at Horning.!!!!

If I were still letting day boats, I would be definately in two minds as to whether I would send any out today. There have been many times in the past when strong windy weather has stopped us from sending out boats of any kind as we always err on the side of caution. Yes, we lost a significant amount of money though these decisions, but we slept well. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

If I were still letting day boats, I would be definately in two minds as to whether I would send any out today. There have been many times in the past when strong windy weather has stopped us from sending out boats of any kind as we always err on the side of caution. Yes, we lost a significant amount of money though these decisions, but we slept well. 

Saying that,   the boat yard may have cancelled the day boat trip anyway and offered another safer day.     

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Saying that,   the boat yard may have cancelled the day boat trip anyway and offered another safer day.     

The problem would be is that they are all fully booked at present and wouldn't be in a position to offer an alternative day? Keeping to sheltered stretches should be fine