Do You Remember?

Another  small step(pun intended),in getting  the house  ready to sell.

The other day we got some red paint  to do the step and inside of our porch.It reminded me when I was a child and most houses in our road had bright red steps into the house.Which often were kept in good condition by,often the ladys of the house. 

I know lots of you are not oldies like me,but what are your memories of childhood?

20200824_075435.jpg

• Like 2

Most of my childhood was spent in military Accommodation, luckily red leading the door step was not one of the military requirements. The S.W.O / R.S.M would have loved it though...

I suppose my memories are moving, Bath (which I don't remember), Cyprus, Northern Ireland, The Outer Hebridies, Inverness, Central Scotland.  Very different schools and places..

• Like 2

Red steps definitely and they look really nice when restored today. I see you also have a tiled path which took me straight back 60 years to my gran's house!

One of things I remember from my own home as a kid was Marley doors, who remembers them?

• Like 1

Some years back,the house up from us they pulled  up tiles,I brought them off them,which I've still got.We have many original features, some sadly long gone.Some we restored or put in.In the living  room,one afternoon  Marina  and  I knocked out what was the covered in fireplace. Very common in the sixties and seventies. Had the chimney checked and sweated, then put in a reproduction fireplace. Alan and myself restored  the Banisters and spindles. 

20200824_085944.jpg

IMG_20200822_194521_432.jpg

• Like 1

Do I remember? That's a leading question. Not gaga, at least not yet! 

I don't remember red steps but I do remember the ladies of the house scrubbing their stone thresholds with Vim and vigor!

Having scrubbed it was common practice to use the clean step as a sharpening stone or 'rub' for the household knives as well as gutting knives for those who worked in the local fishmarket.

• Like 2