That Old Chestnut Of Passage Through Yarmouth

WasJono

6 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Its called thread drift, posts tend not to stay exclusive to the original topic if someone has a similar question.

Oops, sorry Mark.  Probably pressed save at the same time, but I have a really slow connection at the moment!!

1 hour ago, WasJono said:

Still trying to fathom what this has to do with my post????

Sorry, thought I'd sneak in with a very similar question rather than create an entire new thread for it (thinking it may also be helpful for yourself or others viewing the thread).

My apologies 

Answering a question on topic or nearly so, I would expect the greatest headroom under the bridges to be around low water and not slack. ( Thats the real answer - you can skip the rest as its just a bit of squit!! )

It is a very strange feeling when moored at GYYS at low/slack to see the tide still rushing past on the way out,  and then to see the boats beginning to rise on the incoming tide!! This is because the incoming tide is largely saltwater and being more dense is making its way upstream, whilst the freshwater being less so, is still going out!

However tides rarely run to time simply because they cannot read and more often than not, seem to run late - like buses!

Tides also have another peculiarity in that to gauge how much is likely to come in and at what speed, you can apply the twelfths rule - in any given 6 hr hours of tide the amount of water coming in can be divided by 12 - in the first hour one twelfth will come in ( or go out) the second hour two twelfths, and on the third 3 twelfths , the fourth another 3 twelfths, fifth another two twelfths and finally another twelfth in the final hour!! Gettit!

Now if you study Broadland tides in more detail, you may well spot that in normal weather the flow, as it rises, often only lasts for 5 hours whilst the ebb can go on for 7 hours - this probably due to the fact that the rivers drain a large large area and usually there is a lot of water coming down stream as it drains at least half of Norfolk. Add into the equation the fact that high/low pressure also impact tides here as do tidal surges out at sea!!!!

If you have understood any of that you are a better man than me, and will just ring the GYYS boys the day before!!!!!