Oil Pollution On Lowestoft Beach.

RealWindmill

Years ago , maybe in in the 80's, there was an oil tanker run aground off the coast near Gt Yarmouth. I don't recall the exact dates or location but that can be easily Goggled. The ship was the Eleni V and the spill of heavy crude was quite serious and widespread on the shoreline. Any of our local forumites recall this event?

There is a video on the East Anglian Film Archive site. Link http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/205071.  (When attempting to post this link an error occurs - techies help please.) Watch the video right to the end for more footage of the Lowestoft beach clean up scenes

Our local council at the time decided to help in the clean up operation and allowed many tonnes of this heavy crude to be buried under Lowestoft North Beach. It was bulldozed in and buried, the beach was restored, the dunes recolonised and, great , problem solved. Job done.

Except that in the 2000's doubts were expressed about beach erosion occurring after some big storms. So they said, better dig up all that oil that was buried.

Unfortunately, so the story goes, nobody knew exactly where it had been buried as no accurate records had been kept. So it was left in the ground.

Fast forward to 2020, the beach has now eroded and dunes shifted sufficiently to allow large clumps of black mass to start appearing out of where a new beach berm has formed. The current council have had to erect warning signs for beach users.

To compound the problem, when it was buried it seems some type of thick polythene sheeting or tarp was laid across to prevent seepage upwards.  This sheetiing where it is now re-exposed has become brittle and can break off and be blown about as a tarry, sticky sided plastic mess.

This last weekend in the lovely weather the beach has been busy with holiday makers and locals. Children are playing, fishermen are fishing, dogs walking and swimming, nudists are nuding (at the Corton end). All having to avoid the exposures of solidified oil. Nobody seems to know how much was was buried in the first place and so how much more will become exposed.

There is no real point to this story other than to say it shows that oil pollution can, at best, be a blasted nuisance and, at worst, an ecological disaster.

Another recent tourist attraction to this very same beach was the recent beaching of a Sowerbys Beaked whale which was left as a rotting carcase for a couple of weeks - had to avoid that spot while dog walking. I note it has now been completely removed.

Very interesting. I had read some of this. The north beach definitely looked as if there had been noticeable erosion along there when we returned to the area this summer. We saw the body of the whale that had been left down there as well. I was surprised that it hadn’t been removed although admittedly I don’t know what that involves. 

19 hours ago, keifsmate said:

I wonder if anything is coming from this mob parked up off Southwold!

image.thumb.png.74b5c16ea20ed0d09cad210085c81d65.png

Just had another thought on these,keifsmate.

What we need is one of the Cruise Ships to beach ashore and given the amount of hooch those tubs carry around we could have our very own "Whiskey Galore"  party right here on the east coast.