2nd Day

PaulMargaret

Shame about Womack Water but Jay is spot on that it’s best not to stress about trying to moor if you’re not comfortable with the space available. A good time to get in at popular places like that is around 10.30 to 11 once the previous night’s boats have moved on and ahead of most of the lunchtime trade. An early start will still mean you’ve had a good cruise first. 

Personally I’ve not been further than Stokesby and wouldn’t do so unless desperate to moor at Great Yarmouth. The rise and fall is several feet between high and low tides. And the currents are strong. But other people can advise better than me on that one. It just might not be the most comfortable mooring overnight. 

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Shame about Womack Water but Jay is spot on that it’s best not to stress about trying to moor if you’re not comfortable with the space available.

Oh God, I've not done another sensible post have I Jean :facepalm:

I better go and write some nonsense somewhere to make up for it :default_xmas3:

In nearly 40 years of boating, we have only stopped at GYYS twice. It’s not the most pleasant mooring on the Broads! I remember going through in our early hire years and seeing boats moored at least 9ft below the quay heading. Things have improved vastly in more recent years but, like a lot of people, I would far rather carry on up the Bure or cross Breydon straight away. I can see why GY is a draw for younger visitors however, although with pub chuckout time now so early perhaps it’s not so popular at present?

I’ve never actually stopped in Yarmouth, but I would imagine that it would be best to arrive there some after the tide has turned (about an hour and a half after low water) so that you can moor up facing into the tide.

What do more experienced forum members recommend?

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve never actually stopped in Yarmouth, but I would imagine that it would be best to arrive there some after the tide has turned (about an hour and a half after low water) so that you can moor up facing into the tide.

What do more experienced forum members recommend?

If the water is flowing in and you are coming down the Bure, you have no need to turn so it’s a straightforward mooring. (I think a lot of people do get caught out by having to turn just before the bridges if it’s necessary.) Coming south to north with the flow, it’s not quite so bad as you would turn upstream of the YS. Bear in mind the YS guys are there to help and I frequently hear how good they are. 

13 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Not sure what to do

If you want to stop at GY, the Yacht Station rangers are extremely good and will shout directions to you if necessary then help you moor up safely. Are you thinking about crossing Breydon and going south?

If by ‘not sure’ you meant you haven’t made your mind up ...fine.

If you aren’t sure about coping with the tide there, maybe it would be best to phone the Yacht Station in advance, explain it’s your first time on the Broads and ask them what time they suggest you arrive.

The reason I’ve suggested phoning the Yacht Station is that the pre- published tide tables aren’t always right as weather and other factors affect the tide. Also, if they know you are inexperienced they’ll keep an eye out for you hopefully. 

20 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If by ‘not sure’ you meant you haven’t made your mind up ...fine.

If you aren’t sure about coping with the tide there, maybe it would be best to phone the Yacht Station in advance, explain it’s your first time on the Broads and ask them what time they suggest you arrive.

The reason I’ve suggested phoning the Yacht Station is that the pre- published tide tables aren’t always right as weather and other factors affect the tide. Also, if they know you are inexperienced they’ll keep an eye out for you hopefully. 

I will ring them tomorrow afternoon when we are at acle/stoksby for advice pity I can't pay someone to board the boat at acle and take us to breydon waters I would happily pay 😀 

You’ll be fine. Also, going across Breydon isn’t at all scary if you are going through Yarmouth at the advised time and make sure you stay within the green and red posts.
Bear in mind that a lot of ‘distance charts’ showing travelling times tend to be far too generous. It’s never taken me more than an hour from Stracey Arms to Yarmouth, and that’s with checking that I wasn’t going too fast.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
19 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

I will ring them tomorrow afternoon when we are at acle/stoksby for advice pity I can't pay someone to board the boat at acle and take us to breydon waters I would happily pay 😀 

Ooh I'm so tempted to take a drive out to Acle now :default_biggrin:

Breydon isn't anything to be bothered about as long as you get the timings right and (as always) just take your time, turn after the yellow Post, go through the right hand channel of the lifting bridge and then stay within the marked channel.

The South is beautiful, just keep in mind the rivers are bigger, the tides are stronger (which can be an aid) and the rise and fall at moorings is much greater

20 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

now who on the other thread was told an employed skipper was a bad idea.   but you don't want to pay someone else to have the fun... endorse ringing a yacht station for guidance on tide times your bath tub will go through the bridges no problem any time.   If possible acle your best overnight and set off early , you may be able to use the boatyard. 

23 minutes ago, PaulMargaret said:

Many boaters cross Breydon on their first Broads trip, it’s really not scary as YnsMon and Jayfire have said. You still have 10 (?) days left to enjoy and the southern rivers will be much quieter than the north. Plenty of places to practice new skillls. Just plan your crossings (both there and back!) and follow the guidance given. Have you had time to have a good look at the Skipper’s Manual yet? Usually plenty of advice in there. 

4 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Ooh I'm so tempted to take a drive out to Acle now :default_biggrin:

Breydon isn't anything to be bothered about as long as you get the timings right and (as always) just take your time, turn after the yellow Post, go through the right hand channel of the lifting bridge and then stay within the marked channel.

The South is beautiful, just keep in mind the rivers are bigger, the tides are stronger (which can be an aid) and the rise and fall at moorings is much greater

spent an afternoon at waveney river centre watching a cup match on their tv..... by the end the water had fallen so much we were panicking of getting the ropes off to go to oulton broad.  

Just some thoughts?

Pump Out - you are one week into your holiday? I would suggest get one before you go south, but bear in mind Saturday is key changeover day and some yards might not be that pleased to see you.  You could try Maycraft on your way out of Potter on the right hand side, small yard but very friendly.  Sunday isn't such a good day because some yards now it is October might want to have a day off? 

Don't forget to check your fuel as well - I have no idea how large tanks are these days but we wouldn't want to run out would we - Janet Anne?

In all my 60+ years of boating I have never knowingly moored at Yarmouth so do take care and listen to any instruction from the Rangers and above all, wear your life jacket and get your tides right.

Liz

• Like 1

would recommend visiting yarmouth on your way home by car than mooring there , about ten years ago we did a week end of oct and it was very warm early morning but clouding mid aft ..maybe try and have enough time to go through breydon and get to reedham where there should be a ranger to help with ropes 

I will be coming from South to North at around the same time so unfortunately wont be able to help you out. I am sure you will be fine though. You are at least asking questions which is a great start. 

A lot is said about Breydon and for newcomers to the Broads a number of these stories can be quite scary. In reality it is just a wider version of all the other rivers on the network. 

True, faster tides and wind add another element to the crossing but if you can get under the bridge you can do Breydon.

I have a 7 point plan.

1. Check best time to cross with GYC Station (and also tell them what boat and air draft you have so they can advise on water height under bridge)

2. Plan to arrive at that time. As has already been mentioned the travel times are only a guide so dont panic if you are ahead or behind your guesstimated time. If you need to moor up take it slowly and maybe phone GYC when you are about 5 mins away. Ask if they can be about to help. You will know you are 5 mins away because it all starts to get a bit built up rather than marshes and reeds.

3. Keep between the arrows on the bridges and as you approach Breydon proper there is a massive yellow post in the water to your right. Keep this post well to your right. and turn right well after it. If the tide is running in it may push you towards it a bit so keep well clear. Try not to get too close to any boats ahead of you and dont think you have to follow their path. They may have no idea what they are doing :)

4. As you go under Breydon Bridge look up at the cantilever arm on the Yarmouth side, the light at the end of the cantilever arm and the far side footpath. I built those. (#minorclaimtofame)

5. Keep between the red and green marker posts. (I built all the Red ones and also the little mooring dolphin bridge to your left at you come under the bridge. #showingoffnow) 

6. Keep off the decks and wear a lifejacket from the yacht station all the way to the other side of the water. Others may say you should always wear one but even if thats not your thing please wear one over Breydon.

7. As you reach the other side you can now start breathing again and have a drink to celebrate your success. Honestly. Its actually more fun than scary. Think of the hundreds of people who do this daily with less experience than you. 

I will give you an enthusiastic wave if I see you coming the other way.

Have fun, trust in the force and go for it.

I may make some "I crossed Breydon and survived" T Shirts and if I do I shall put you down for a couple. :)

Andy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTBoater said:

I will be coming from South to North at around the same time so unfortunately wont be able to help you out. I am sure you will be fine though. You are at least asking questions which is a great start. 

A lot is said about Breydon and for newcomers to the Broads a number of these stories can be quite scary. In reality it is just a wider version of all the other rivers on the network. 

True, faster tides and wind add another element to the crossing but if you can get under the bridge you can do Breydon.

I have a 7 point plan.

1. Check best time to cross with GYC Station (and also tell them what boat and air draft you have so they can advise on water height under bridge)

2. Plan to arrive at that time. As has already been mentioned the travel times are only a guide so dont panic if you are ahead or behind your guesstimated time. If you need to moor up take it slowly and maybe phone GYC when you are about 5 mins away. Ask if they can be about to help. You will know you are 5 mins away because it all starts to get a bit built up rather than marshes and reeds.

3. Keep between the arrows on the bridges and as you approach Breydon proper there is a massive yellow post in the water to your right. Keep this post well to your right. and turn right well after it. If the tide is running in it may push you towards it a bit so keep well clear. Try not to get too close to any boats ahead of you and dont think you have to follow their path. They may have no idea what they are doing :)

4. As you go under Breydon Bridge look up at the cantilever arm on the Yarmouth side, the light at the end of the cantilever arm and the far side footpath. I built those. (#minorclaimtofame)

5. Keep between the red and green marker posts. (I built all the Red ones and also the little mooring dolphin bridge to your left at you come under the bridge. #showingoffnow) 

6. Keep off the decks and wear a lifejacket from the yacht station all the way to the other side of the water. Others may say you should always wear one but even if thats not your thing please wear one over Breydon.

7. As you reach the other side you can now start breathing again and have a drink to celebrate your success. Honestly. Its actually more fun than scary. Think of the hundreds of people who do this daily with less experience than you. 

I will give you an enthusiastic wave if I see you coming the other way.

Have fun, trust in the force and go for it.

I may make some "I crossed Breydon and survived" T Shirts and if I do I shall put you down for a couple. :)

Andy

re 4 and 5 the big lumps of concrete at the new bridge are not moving towards you however much it looks like it 

4 minutes ago, AndyTBoater said:

:default_icon_bowdown: Good claims to fame there Andy. 
Lots of good advice PaulMargaret, bet your heads are swimming by now! 

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We’re all different though. I think if I’d put off doing Breydon it would have loomed in my imagination as something very scary. As it turned out, it wasn’t, but then I’d planned it carefully. 

i had the advantage of going as a child many years before and remembered the fun of it bouncing and it seeming too calm in recent years , seriously keep within the markers of the wide channel and you will wonder how some went wrong and take advantage of the 2 weeks and see lowestoft rather than yarmouth, reedham . loddon and poss beccles 

• Like 1

Depending when you are planning to go through great Yarmouth a d breydon, but we are headed through Sunday on broad ambition with jewel of light, I think we are planning to go through 11, 11.30 ish, but if you are headed across on the low tide Sunday, you are welcome to tag along behind if you see us, we are moored opposite Herbert Woods at the moment, we arrived just after dark last night.