Ducks!!!

marshman

I know many of you are concerned by the lack of wildlife on the Broads but just let me confirm for you that the mallard population seems to be alive and kicking!!

Walked down the road past the shop at Ranworth along the flooded road towards the marshes today (thats the second time this year its been flooded - never seen it flood once let alone twice! ) and without any exaggeration must have been 500+ or more before I got bored and stopped counting!!

As has oft been said, its just a case of being in the right place at the right time....!!!

• Like 6

The Wetlands of the St David's Peninsula were full of Wigeon two weeks ago when I was there. I rented a very remote cottage and to stand by thedoor and watch the evening flight as it went dark was fantastic, a long time since I saw that.

The sugar beet harvest has not really started around here yet - certainly records show they have been in Scotland for several weeks so I guess they are working there way south. Apparently the numbers are greater than ever!

Certainly there are a few in N Norfolk but as soon as the sugar beet gets going, I am sure they will be around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

The sugar beet harvest has not really started around here yet - certainly records show they have been in Scotland for several weeks so I guess they are working there way south. Apparently the numbers are greater than ever!

Certainly there are a few in N Norfolk but as soon as the sugar beet gets going, I am sure they will be around.

I hear what you are saying MM. However more and more farmers around here are using contractors in favour of their own equipment. (See photo). This new generation of harvester costing a small fortune Top, raise, riddle and load without stopping. Behind before the field is harvested are the farmers two  units the first ploughing and the second with a grumble harrow on front and a drill behind! Poor old Pinkies don't get a look in on the cut tops. 

P47-1.jpg