Maintenance Costs

RIvercat

Hoping someone will be able to assist on service / maintenance / winterisation  costs.  Specifically the difference between a single diesel engine on a shaft vs a twin engine on out drives .  Boat examples a Haines 31 vs a sealine S37 , aware the sealine would be more just ‘how’ much more .  Thanks in advance . 

Servicing , inboard shaft , varies dependant on engine size but IRO £200 for a oil/filter change , coolant change, impeller ,ie a minor service , more if including service on stern gear , grease gland etc .

Maintenance purely dependant on condition of individual craft so can’t help there but as an example , we spent IRO £3200 pa over the last three years excluding serving but including updating .

Winterising , not had it done as we are in wetshed with ample tube heaters so not needed 

Don’t agree with the 10% theory Ian as a £150k river boat could  have the same maintainance cost of a £25K example.

Comparing the Haines 31 with 50 hp  inboard engine  around £300 if basic service only annually.

Were as the twin engine outdrive Sealine could average £1000 easy if the outdrives need servicing every other year. But it depends if you can do the work yourself or have to have a boatyard to do it.

Now updating this is were you can really get carried away ! 

John

As above. 
If you have experience doing your car engine then your boat is a cake walk. 
I have a BMC 1.8 on a shaft via hydraulic and access is good apart from the impeller but I’m going to convert that to a easy to open kind with thumb screws. 
I change everything serviceable as a matter of course and not forgetting that grease nipple on the drive. 
Anything deeper than that I leave to the boatyard 

• Like 1

Hi It very much depends on if you do DIY or pay a boat yard, in my case the cost of 9 pints of engine oil a oil filter and fuel filter plus two pp9 battery,s,  not had to replace any other parts in nine years other than a lost fender and four battery's, but then i am able to do every thing my self. there is of coarse insurance, mooring fee plus boat safty inspection every four years, much like running a car you have annual service plus wear and tare. two engines double the cost and every few years the out drives will need removing and servicing which is a lot more than shaft drive which only need repacking and perhaps a cutlass bearing. John

• Like 1