2 Way Radios / Walkie Talkies

Davydine

Evening all,

So, our 2 family trip on Dazzling Light from HW has been scuppered by covid and only being allowed to have one household per boat, but ever resourceful, we have simply hired an extra boat (flash of light) one household per boat and we can then mingle ashore, in line with the guidelines, or not, as the case may be, in which case we will just do our own thing.

I know from other threads that some of you use walkie talkies for boat to boat chat and I was thinking that, under the circumstances, they might be a very good idea and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on brands / features to look for that would be suitable for us to use.

Thanks,

David

PMR's is probably what you are referring to.  Go for the ones with rechargeable batteries. We have a set of six! I tend to have one switched in all day set to CH4.  They are nowadays for us on our annual Lads Week imperative to maintain communications between our four craft and we maintain a listening watch.

Years ago before mobile phones we managed using morse code via flashing lights (Torches), then moved on to hand held CB radios before the dawn of mobile phones.  PMR's are also handy for when cruising in company with friends

Griff

• Like 2

I hope not for chat!! Thats for PMR's!!

My recollection from my course is that VHF should be used for communication and should not be used to make unnecessary transmissions or transmitting superfluous signals!!

Not that I use VHF these days but I think still remember things like that from the exam room!!!

Having said that I expect most people use it for that end from what I heard transmitted the last time i listened!!

• Like 1

When we had a boat of our own (not on the broads, sea going, sailing thing) we would use the VHF, call on 16 and then move to a working channel, but conversations were kept to what was required. That might include which pub for dinner but kept brief and not chatting.

I once helped to sail a yacht across the Bay of Biscay. The chat on the VHF from obviously drunk officers of the watch was frightening and the reaction when they heard a female voice when my Mum in law had to make a call was utterly appalling.