The 3 Rivers Race...........

andyandsallyb

Fair point Rod (The voice of reason) and to that end will post that question in open forum.. I have to agree that racing yachts do seem rather arrogant of late, even up in Brundall, where there was an open agreement that yachts race one one side of the river at one time, seems to have turned into a bit of a free-for-all

Actually agree with both these posts for different reasons but am sort of alarmed at this to some degree. Poppy - You are absolutely right in that hirers probably wouldnt look at the NtM however I'm sure it may high-light as a reminder for the odd owner who may have forgotten, but that aside, teadeamon - i know that the yards do tell hirers, but I think that people come on holiday with pre-determined itiniaries quite often and also more and more hires are being booked either directly online or through third party booking agents and so may not get this information until they actually arrive at the vessel. Lastly, if hirers refuse to take a 'blind bit of notice' opens up a whole other debate. It has been long known that handovers vary in quality from boring the pants off someone who is not interested and quite often not the person who will be helming the boat to 'theres yer boat mate, seeya friday'... I know these are extremes, but here is a question for you teadeamon - Are you seeing more people nowadays who either profess to be competent in a boat and plainly aren't or just quite frankly are so set in getting away as soon as possible that they just wont listen to the handover? I ask this genuinely, as, although the season is young, there seems to have been a very high number of hire craft in trouble so far this year? - This is a genuine question and I invite comments from those who actually know - like yourself as I would be very keen to get an honest and accurate idea of how big of a problem this is becoming or not becoming....

The majority of hirers, new or experienced seem perfectly happy to go through the handover procedure. A lot of it is taken up with all of the boat's systems (water, electricity, gas, where to find all the switches and what they do, etc), which most people have a vested interest in having explained to them. I actually find that most people who've been boating before downplay their experience - the ones with an armful of RYA qualifications or 30 years experience are generally the ones who pay attention and ask intelligent questions.

When it comes to the river trial, I have been known to remind impatient skippers that I won't get off the boat until I've seen evidence that they're capable of adequately controlling it. If somebody is experienced and knows what they're doing, generally I can tell fairly quickly. Everyone gets a meaningful river trial, including mooring up (and I do emphasise mooring up into the wind (or tide if it's strong), organising your crew, having a lookout (particularly on the forward-steer boats), etc, etc). If they need more, then they get it. In a worst-case scenario, on a few occasions people have had to come back to the yard and we've sent somebody out with them the next morning, preferably nice and early when the rivers are quieter and hopefully less challenging.

In my experience, most accidents involving hire boats are not the result of recklessness and over-confidence, they're the result of people panicking or freezing because they don't know what to do and/or don't have confidence in their own ability to handle the boat. I spend more time on river trials reassuring people that what they're doing is right and that they've got the boat under control than I do telling them to slow down or pay attention. One thing I really try to get across is being aware of what's going on, keeping a good all-around lookout, and trying to anticipate what's going to be happening in the next few minutes, rather than allowing situations to creep up unnoticed until the last second. That way, my hirers are hopefully less likely to find themselves in situations where they might panic.

To say I'm disappointed in the level of vitriolic comments on this thread would be an understatement.

I have no doubt there are good and bad crews in any type of craft and the 3RR tries to avoid the latter. But the overhyped response's would give the impression that WW3 had just taken place on the rivers and broads, even some of the photo's posted of 'incidents' should be taken with a pinch of salt.

So I guess it's time to ban the 3RR or as some people seem to want, regulate it to death. Sad reflection on them and the society that would like nothing better, and please don't use the "but someone might have been killed" excuse. in 51 years there have been how many deaths in the 3RR ?. Suggest all broads boating is banned if looking at deaths on hire/private craft.

Rant over

:Stinky:Sailing

Good post Third Mate. Perhaps those who would ban the 3RR on grounds of public safety would care to turn their attention to water skiing on the Broads? After all, there is a history of fatalities here.....

• 11 years later...
On 06/06/2011 at 19:16, Poppy said:

I wonder how many hirers visit the BA website before they come on holiday - most appear not to even read the handbook on board their vessel. It would be helpful if the yards would brief their clients about the race, but perhaps they don't know about it. After all, it's quite a new event having been taking place for only 51 years so far :naughty:

We have booked for this weekend and no one has told us about the race, I only happen to have found this by googling potential routes.  Its our first time and this is unexpected and the rental company won't let me change the dates.  So I'm afraid you are stuck we are stuck with each other...

Shouldn't worry about it - just enjoy the spectacle!

The busiest spot by far is Horning Reach - until about Sat midday so just avoid it!! By its very nature the boats tend to get strung out quite quickly, especially in a breeze which there should be, and some go one way and others a totally different course - you can go round the various buoys, 4 of them quite long distances between, which ever way you want. If you want to see what's going on in a quieter stretch, then moor up down S Walsham Dyke and watch some go past!

Don't worry the people sailing don't want to damage their pride and joy either! Certainly not a reason to even considering cancelling! Loads of places to go where you may see very little!

• Like 2