Advice/views Required For A Few Nights Down South......

We had a great week on the Northern Broads in May and have just booked up for another week at the start of October.

We are looking to go down South for a couple of nights, tide times at the moment look like they will work, my question is 'If you were to go South for 2 nights, where would stay/eat for the 2 nights and where would you cruise during the 2 days?'

I am sure you will all have different views and preferences so I look forward to hearing them!

Thanks in advance.....

Hi 81011

Two of our favourite places are Beccles and Oulton Broad yacht stations. There’s plenty to do and good selection of pubs and eating places shops.

We always reserve a mooring just to be on the safe side but there’s normally space and other moorings close by.. 👍

2 nights? So difficult as I love places that are really far away from each other. But if forced to choose then I would go down the Waveney. You can pre-book Beccles yacht station and the town had the various shops, pubs and facilities you might want. But I love North Cove for a quiet away from it all night. And then perhaps Reedham depending on the time you need to leave to get back across Breydon. Really you need a week of its own to appreciate the southern rivers. 

Perhaps Rockland St Mary and the New Inn which has what looks to be an appetising menu and if you have the clearance Thorpe St Andrews is a lovely quiet place and we can recommend the River Garden pub for food and hospitality which is a 3-4 minute walk from the moorings.

River Chet to Loddon, although I prefer to moor at Pyes Mill for an overnight stop.  Rockland Broad and Rockland Staithe.  My favourite pub on the southern rivers is The Ferry House at Surlingham.  Excellent food, warm welcome, bookable moorings, electric hook-up and water available.  You could cruise into Norwich and visit the Cathedral and have a look around the city, although I personally wouldn’t overnight there as the Yacht Station is next to a busy road.  Depends largely on what you’re looking for - peace and quiet, or something more lively.

Obviously personal choice but for us would be either Beccles or Oulton yacht stations (both prebookable at a fee) and Rockland St Mary or Loddon (first come first served).

Oulton great if you want to hop in the train for a visit to Lowestoft , Beccles a lovely little town with many shops and places to eat.

Rockland St Mary , peaceful with a great locals pub serving reasonable pub food

Loddon , small village with takeaways and choice of inns which serve food plus the bonus of a great tearoom (provided it is open again)

• Like 2