Weld Or No To Weld That Is The Question

Wussername

if the planning decision was made to weld it shut, it would create an awful precedent for national rail to follow suit with trowse bridge, reedham, somerleyton and the one at Oulton broad, thus it is only right for the Broads Authority to insist it be maintained in an openable state.

• Like 2

"Like a bridge over troubled Waters" as S&G sung.

All I know from magazines, BW now R&CT etc and indeed the construction of a footbridge on a shoot I was involved with, is bridging a navigation right is an absolute legal nightmare. Where the only winners are the Attorney.

This is sad to hear, whatever the outcome I don't think welding shut the Trowse bridge would be quite so straight forward given the sizeable adjacent development opportunity, the developers have got big boots and can deepen their pockets. What I can't understand is how this fine city missed such an opportunity like marina villages, it seems all they wanted was flats and a retail park, be interesting to see what proposals come forward for carrow works and the deal ground.

• Like 3

The full 100+ page document including the BA & NCC reports were presented to the last Navigation Ctte - unfortunately this meeting was after the end of on- line meetings so we will have to wait for the minutes to come out at the end of August

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/390008/Carrow-Road-Bridge-repairs-reduced-version.pdf

I well remember, during the height of the Jenners Basin saga 2 or 3 years ago, when Norwich CC proudly announced that they owned the river and the river bed, right down through Thorpe and so boats were not allowed to moor on the river front on the island. I wish my father had still been alive when they said that!

So if they insist they own it, then up to them to maintain the maritime navigation, along with its lifting bridges.

"What's sauce for the goose . . " and all that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s been the best part of a week in the big smoke (for a carrot cruncher like moi viz Norwich) on business consequent of which I’ve exercised the opportunity to tour the city centre nice and early circa 7am on foot in four tranches to partly exercise whilst all is deserted, and mainly check out the sadly rubbish filled doorways of abandoned shops, admire the cleanliness of the public spaces, make sure the traditional shops of St Giles are still there and last but most check out riverside. If the pundits are right then the central business district will consist of eateries, charity shops and added residential from commercial building conversions.

Riverside looks a bit sad. The prime unit from my perspective and what used to be Norwegian Blue is vacant; next to one of the white painted 20 year old bridges complete with green algae, probably swung twice  for the scouts GB and the floating restaurant, and a route to muggers alley. Walking on, a private cruiser appears to have had the ignition trashed, wind screen part broken, vandals I guess.

Once over Carrow Bridge and heading back the other side still many potential sites awaiting regeneration, some businesses still there after 30 years or more, still the build above what used to be the electrical store adjoining DragonHall. Granted it does get better then with some nice cafes. Ferry Boat PH not all gone yet!

Im baffled and perplexed that NCC were so fixated on the river bordering Broadland DC in Thorpe given the seeming abandonment of parts of the Wensum and the associated infrastructure and curtilage. But I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, some huge opportunities to improve, just hope it doesn’t go down the path of some of the recent highway works, I’ve certainly seen some regression since I last visited some 15 months ago.

This could be the last opportunity for NCC to create a destination that is more than a sea of apartment blocks, hope they grasp it.

• Like 1