Classics (not Boats!)

CeePee1952

Thought I’d start a new topic rather than drift the BA controversy topic even further out into the galaxy :default_biggrin:

“Vaughan said

Whenever I got my old TR2 over 100 miles an hour, the hood used to peel off of its own accord!

Wussername said

A bit of wet arm motoring they used to say. Now as a local boy, from the Jolly Butchers to the Washington Club, through the bends of Mousehold to the Salhouse Road my MGB tourer would have beaten your old banger any time.”

My Triumph Spitfire 1500 managed 105 mph with the hood down at Rockingham Speedway back in the early 2020’s. I’d done a lot of modifications to it but still road legal! And yes, leaked like a sieve when the heavens opened!!

Chris

I used to have a Sierra 4x4 which had a stage 2 turbo technics conversion giving it in excess of 320hp , top speed was rated as in excess of  150mph when we had her dyno tested (rolling road was limited to 150mph) , trouble is it wouldn’t go round Foxes Bends in Willingham Cambs at 80mph, I ended up in a field and the car was no more , my excuse , I was 21 and stupid !!

Im older now and just as stupid , only in other ways 

• Like 1

I got my current bike from new, 30 years ago now.

Picked it up from the dealer at midnight when the new registration plate came out (it was a Thursday), and then went to Chelsea Bridge (in London) for the regular bikers meet that Friday night.

By the end of the evening I had been nicked for speeding and ended up with 3 points on my licence ... not even had the bike 48 hours !

The following June, I took it to the Isle of Man for the TT races (spectating) and managed to get it up to 165MPH on the mountain section on Mad Sunday - legally I might add. Was a bit scary as the steering damper turned out to be faulty and I had a nasty steering wobble at that speed.

Managed a similar speed in Germany, again legally on the unrestricted Autobahn, loaded with luggage.

Needless to say, I have slowed down a bit in my mature days now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Thought I’d start a new topic rather than drift the BA controversy topic even further out into the galaxy :default_biggrin:

“Vaughan said

Whenever I got my old TR2 over 100 miles an hour, the hood used to peel off of its own accord!

Wussername said

A bit of wet arm motoring they used to say. Now as a local boy, from the Jolly Butchers to the Washington Club, through the bends of Mousehold to the Salhouse Road my MGB tourer would have beaten your old banger any time.”

My Triumph Spitfire 1500 managed 105 mph with the hood down at Rockingham Speedway back in the early 2020’s. I’d done a lot of modifications to it but still road legal! And yes, leaked like a sieve when the heavens opened!!

Chris

Oooops!  Just realised I said early 2020's!!  I meant early 2001!! :default_blush:

Chris

• Haha 1

It's funny, I was going to reply to Wussername's post but didn't want to wander any further off the thread.

Beaten by an MGB? No way my friend! It was all a question of "Varoom"!

The TR2 was reckoned to be faster that the later TR3 or TR3A, although the 3A had overdrive.

Believe it or not, they had the Vanguard Ferguson tractor engine, tuned up with twin carburettors.  Yes, the same engine as the "little grey Fergie".  It was such a long reach engine, on a 4 speed box, that when doing 100MPH you were only doing 2000 RPM.

It could be beaten by an XK120 Jag of course;  also by a Healey 3000 but not by many others, of its day!

• Like 1