That Didn't Take Long To Get Damaged

ExSurveyor

• 6 months later...

An update,

7 months later and the repairs are still not completed.

The boat is out of the water and the engine is in bits in the workshop.

I had them relaunch it at the end of November as they were still waiting for casing parts, as it turned out the steering had gone very notchy so it was pulled out again for further checks.

Eventually, the yard found the time to check the steering issue and thought the steering drive shaft (?) in the lower case was damaged.

After 10 hours of labour they eventually managed to open the case and prepare a final report and estimate, thankfully the insurers have accepted it and approved the work. Final cost, nearly £4500.

The cost of an new replacement, fitted, is 9k.

The engine is 2013 but has had very little, freshwater only use. It would have been criminal to chuck it away as it ran really well, and expensive for me to replace.

I live in hope that it might be back in use by the end of the month

Since I got the boat in September last year I have had 2 hours use, fingers crossed I will get some use this year.

• Sad 13

12 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

An update,

7 months later and the repairs are still not completed.

The boat is out of the water and the engine is in bits in the workshop.

I had them relaunch it at the end of November as they were still waiting for casing parts, as it turned out the steering had gone very notchy so it was pulled out again for further checks.

Eventually, the yard found the time to check the steering issue and thought the steering drive shaft (?) in the lower case was damaged.

After 10 hours of labour they eventually managed to open the case and prepare a final report and estimate, thankfully the insurers have accepted it and approved the work. Final cost, nearly £4500.

The cost of an new replacement, fitted, is 9k.

The engine is 2013 but has had very little, freshwater only use. It would have been criminal to chuck it away as it ran really well, and expensive for me to replace.

I live in hope that it might be back in use by the end of the month

Since I got the boat in September last year I have had 2 hours use, fingers crossed I will get some use this year.

Funnily enough only yesterday I was recalling that event and wondering what happened. Hope you soon get it sorted. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update…

Allegedly the work is now completed and the boat has been launched,

I will inspect the work and check the outboard is running properly with a quick trip up river before I pass the invoice to the 3rd party insurers for payment.

After being out of commission for 8 months and a bill for £4500 it had better be flawless.

Haven Knox Johnson have been outstanding and I am not even insured with them, that may change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

£4500!!!! I thought it was just an outboard cowl?

Thats what it started as then the steering was stiff, after many hours trying to dismantle the bottom half they found damage, labour was 2.5k, the cowl alone was £650. Then they add on recovery and launching.

Meanwhile I have been paying £1400 a year for a mooring for a boat I couldn't use.

It's been an interesting process. :default_icon_e_confused:

• Sad 3

I seem to recall some of the mariners being made in belgium at some time, and possibly a link to yamaha on the smaller 4 strokes. (I may have imagined the last bit)

I had a tohatsu that looked remarkably like yamaha under the cowl.

On 23/06/2022 at 13:35, TheQ said:

Mariner are owned  /  made by Mercury who are owned by the Brunswick Corporation of Wisconsin in the USA..

The last British Outboard manufacturer was Seagull, who died in 1996, Sheridan marine, now own the make and can supply parts  . https://www.britishseagull.com/

Parts can also be obtained from Saving Old Seagulls in East Essex if anybody is interested in buying spares for Seagulls. E mail  john@saving-old-seagulls.co.uk. John is much cheaper than Sheridans and keeps most of the spares needed. A visit to the Saving Old Seagulls website is rather interesting too.