Countdown

addicted

I've watched Countdown sinced it first started and  was pretty apalled by the decision to install Anne Robinson as the presenter thinking she was far too acerbic for such a gentle propgramme.  And so it has proved to be I think. Reading the reports of  bad feeling between her and  the other  regulars on the programmed doesn't come as any surprise. A few years ago my daughter appeared on the weakest link and said she was the rudest person you could wish to meet speaking to nobody other than on what was being filmed.  She asked my daughter what her occupation was and on being told  she was an on-line retailer asked the name of her company which is luvponies.com She promptly started to inappropriately infer something lewd and my daughter had to head her off  particularly as her products are mostly aimed at children. Not a nice woman.

Carole

I had a crush on Carol Vorderman - until I was a contestant on Countdown. Snootiest, unfriendly piece of work I've had the misfortune of meeting. Keith Barron in dictionary corner was a delight to meet. "Never meet your heroes" don't they say? 

As my apprenticeship was in agricultural engineering Both Mechanical and Electrical. I was oft found working on the Horticultural side of the business. Everything from 12 foot Hydraulic park mowers down to push mowers. I used to be our mobile mechanic and some of the people I have met doing the job were a delight, Graham Hill and Damon although he was only 2 when I met him. Graham was a true gent and spent many an hour chatting to him  Spike Milligan, possibly one of the most disturbed people I have ever met. but, In his lucid times a raconteur and wit of the highest standing. He could literally stand in his garden and recall with all the voices, Goon show scripts. I even sat down to tea with him and heard the rough prose, from his wartime exploits soon to become "a dictator my part in his downfall.  Through sport I have also met lots of stars most outside of their profession. Joanna Lumley and Doreen Keogh (Concepta Hewitt from Corrie) preparing and serving tea at cricket in Rolvenden. Fielding at third man one day and a lady was leaning on a five bar gate at the bottom of her garden i struck up a conversation with her every other over It was Jan Francis from The two of us. All were absolutely wonderful to chat to.

I later had a job delivering cars for Ford fleet met loads of the motoring press through loan press cars usually new models. Met Clarkson, May and Hammond before they knew each other. Paddy Hopkirk. Jackie Stewart and hundreds more all a joy to meet. Even most of the Royal family I have met in two differing roles and apart from a couple, a joy when nobody else is around

So meet you heroes? I have and it was a blast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

As my apprenticeship was in agricultural engineering Both Mechanical and Electrical. I was oft found working on the Horticultural side of the business. Everything from 12 foot Hydraulic park mowers down to push mowers. I used to be our mobile mechanic and some of the people I have met doing the job were a delight, Graham Hill and Damon although he was only 2 when I met him. Graham was a true gent and spent many an hour chatting to him  Spike Milligan, possibly one of the most disturbed people I have ever met. but, In his lucid times a raconteur and wit of the highest standing. He could literally stand in his garden and recall with all the voices, Goon show scripts. I even sat down to tea with him and heard the rough prose, from his wartime exploits soon to become "a dictator my part in his downfall.  Through sport I have also met lots of stars most outside of their profession. Joanna Lumley and Doreen Keogh (Concepta Hewitt from Corrie) preparing and serving tea at cricket in Rolvenden. Fielding at third man one day and a lady was leaning on a five bar gate at the bottom of her garden i struck up a conversation with her every other over It was Jan Francis from The two of us. All were absolutely wonderful to chat to.

I later had a job delivering cars for Ford fleet met loads of the motoring press through loan press cars usually new models. Met Clarkson, May and Hammond before they knew each other. Paddy Hopkirk. Jackie Stewart and hundreds more all a joy to meet. Even most of the Royal family I have met in two differing roles and apart from a couple, a joy when nobody else is around

So meet you heroes? I have and it was a blast.

Yes but your heroes were sober at the time.