Another Gets Caught Out Cutting The Corner At Yarmouth

MY littleboat

:wave hi all i'm afraid i have to dissagree with you there, because we've never ever had it drummed into us about being careful on breydon, non of the hire companies have ever said anything to us , apart from WATCH THE TIDES, thats all they've ever saif to us, & we've crossed breydon quite a few times, & never had any problems crossing, we've always stayed inside the posts even though we did'nt read the manuals, it's just a case of using your common sense. lori

I think that they should leave the boats where they have grounded and then these wrecks will send the message LOUD AND CLEAR. Lol

Just imagine how many there would be now if they had done this over the last 50 years or so.

Might even fill in the gaps between the markers :Stinky

"Personally I don't mind night passages on the sea but the thought of creeping up a Broads river in the pitch-black would terrify me.

How the private boats do it amazes me, but I reckon that there is a lot of them with spotlights that are almost searchlights on board to turn the night into day."

I only did it once Martin (by accident) and as I was solo that Saturday, I have to admit I was a bit nervy. Once I remembered the golden rules ie keeping your night sight by not using a spotlight, it turned out to be okay, albeit I was only coming from Fleet Dyke to Horning. To be honest, it was quite magical though it's probably not everyones cup of tea :lol:

SWMBO says if I want to try it again, I can do it alone :Stinky

I think night cruising on the broads is really enjoyable, not unlike ditch crawling up an aproach at sea really, in fact a bit easier. Just keep an eye on the depth sounder and have plenty of tea ready. I guess the one thing that does give a bit more confidence doing it saltside is that at least you have more accurate charts.

My most memorable night passage was rounding Lands End on a moonlit night...

I remember seeing the Longships lighthouse and associated rocks in the moonlight, Nessie and her humps!

(we had come across Loch Ness on our way down to Cornwall from Inverness)

I also remember doing a late westerly approach to Sardinia with little wind and us going straight into the sunset...

My sister's comment was "the next time someone suggests sailing into the sunset with me, they can take the b*****y helm!

At night, give me open water and a few marks to identify rather than picking my way into a narrow channel anytime....

The trouble is that Hire Boats go outside the Marker Posts on Barton Broad, so they think that anywhere on Breydon is just the same.

It does not work like that. I agree that a hefty charge should be imposed if they want pulling off the mud. Would Ricko`s come from

Stalham for £20. I do not think so. It needs to be as has been said £100+. You get stuck at your own peril.!!!.

We went for two weeks on the broads and coming back over Breydon (away from yarmouth) on the 23rd or 24th of aug we saw a hire craft take the corner and ground itself on the sand!

We where in a hire craft too and my parents have done the run a fair few times was the tird time ive done it last one been 16 years ago! I read the manual and there was signs saying to go around yellow post before turning! i thinking some people must think 'oh i'll cut across it wont be me who gets stuck!'

my parents have done the run a fair few times was the third time ive done it last one been 16 years ago! I read the manual and there was signs saying to go around yellow post before turning! i thinking some people must think 'oh i'll cut across it wont be me who gets stuck!'

Reading the manual, and having a bit of common sense makes a lot of difference...

Unfortunately there are plenty of hirers who dont seem to have either. :o

I have also done three return trips through Yarmouth over the years, but I still read the manual before I go into it again, just in case something has changed since the last time.

Personally I think it comes down to people not realising that rivers,

and especially their estuaries, are not like a boating lake or a canal, the water depth isn't constant!

You may get through a particular spot at high tide, but then run-aground the next time because the tide is lower.

Those of us that live near the coast, or play with boats on tidal waters, know about tides, but a lot of the population have little or no idea about them, hence why they get cut off on rocks etc when the tide comes in

Of course to really see tides in action head over to the Channel Islands or the Bristol Channel...

There you can get up to TEN METRES of difference between high and low water, and picking your way through the hazards really keeps you on your toes.

I think there is a fundamental problem with the signage. It says to go around the post but doesn't say which way! If coming from the southern broads, I do wonder if the sign is misinterpreted by those less experienced and maybe they try to treat it as you would a mini-roundabout and therefore pass it to the left. As car drivers, we are so conditioned to driving on the left, it would be a natural direction to take.

Why cant they simply put in anothe couple of posts and some horizontal boards at high level joining them to the yellow post similar to what is at the other end of Breydon where the Waveney and the Yare separate?

I think there is a fundamental problem with the signage. It says to go around the post but doesn't say which way! If coming from the southern broads, I do wonder if the sign is misinterpreted by those less experienced and maybe they try to treat it as you would a mini-roundabout and therefore pass it to the left. As car drivers, we are so conditioned to driving on the left, it would be a natural direction to take.

Why cant they simply put in anothe couple of posts and some horizontal boards at high level joining them to the yellow post similar to what is at the other end of Breydon where the Waveney and the Yare separate?

My sentiments exactly Mark - this really is a problem!

...Why cant they simply put in anothe couple of posts and some horizontal boards at high level joining them to the yellow post similar to what is at the other end of Breydon where the Waveney and the Yare separate?

I agree that a few more posts at least would be a good improvement.

However, I reckon then some boats would hit the posts, because as I might have said earlier, I think that whatever you do you cannot ever totally eliminate stupidity and error! :lol:

Dan